Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I get a Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your question is pretty vague. A number of factors need to be considered before purchasing any new car. What is your primary use for the car, your financial situation, etc.?
I currently pay about $800 a month for car note, insurance, and gas per month. I’m thinking in long term if staying with my current card that I’ve had for 2 years is worth more to me or is it better to invest into the Tesla model 3 standard.

Sorry OP but your post feels like a poor attempt at a standard car forum troll post. Your age has nothing to do with whether the car is "right for you", but you provided. Why?

If you really want "pros and cons" of model 3, there are plenty (100s) of you tube videos and posts just by googling "should I buy a model 3".

If you have some specific questions after looking at some of that, then you can detail your specific question and I am sure the forum would be happy to help you. Until that time, I dont think we are falling for the "Im really young and have X car I bought 2 years ago, should I get rid of it and buy the base model of this car?" thing...

I currently am 22 years old and have a Camaro RS 2017. I’m really thinking about getting a Model 3 standard range. I just need pros and cons.

If you are able to afford a Tesla, you should get it.

If financial is a concern then I would wait.

Buying a Tesla can save you gasoline and maintenance but the return on that investment may take too long for an average consumer.

However, if you drive a lot like taxi, police cruiser... then the saving on gasoline and maintenance would be tremendous and you should get it even when you can't afford it.

Reactions: StealthP3D
I currently am 22 years old and have a Camaro RS 2017. I’m really thinking about getting a Model 3 standard range. I just need pros and cons.

You have never driven a Model 3. Obviously.

Once you have, you will probably be trying to figure out how to make it work financially! :)

That said, it only makes a lot of financial sense if you were going to be buying a new car anyway.:(

Reactions: Tessaract
Sorry OP but your post feels like a poor attempt at a standard car forum troll post. Your age has nothing to do with whether the car is "right for you", but you provided. Why?

If you really want "pros and cons" of model 3, there are plenty (100s) of you tube videos and posts just by googling "should I buy a model 3".

If you have some specific questions after looking at some of that, then you can detail your specific question and I am sure the forum would be happy to help you. Until that time, I dont think we are falling for the "Im really young and have X car I bought 2 years ago, should I get rid of it and buy the base model of this car?" thing...

What is this thing of calling people trolls? The guy asked a question and people are discussing it with him. If you don't like anything about this just ignore the thread why don't you?

After having my car for nearly a year and a half I'm of the opinion that people should not rush into buying a Tesla. They are not a mature company and have various issues both financial and operational. Currently they are under a lot of strain trying to eke out a profit and this shows. Try calling the 800 number for support and you will likely be waiting on hold for over half an hour, even for important problems like not being able to charge. Even the "roadside assistance" part of the 800 number can make you wait for 20 minutes. I know, this has happened to me.

There is also the issue of having a service center near you. You can get your car worked on nearly anywhere, any time. I have to drive 100 miles to reach a service center that will actually do any work on my Tesla. That is not fun and very impractical. Instead of loaners, they give Uber vouchers now. Uber does't serve anywhere I need to go.

The really big thing is to make sure you have charging facilities. It is best if you have a 240 volt charging point at home, either a home charger (HPWC) or an outlet in your garage. Second choice would be to charge at work. Having neither of those options would make charging your car to be a PITA taking more than an hour to do the equivalent of pulling into a gas station to fill the tank. I say more than an hour, because a typical ICE gets a longer range than a Tesla and you will need to charge more than once for the equivalent of a tank of gas.

Then there is the fact that EVs are going to be changing fast over the next few years. My year old car is already obsolete in some ways. With Teslas, as the cars get older, they receive fewer new features with the updates, kinda like cell phones. You really need new hardware after four years or the phone stops being supported.

Don't get caught up in the hoopla surrounding Teslas. They are nice cars with a lot of cool features, but there is no need to rush into buying one. I say give it three or more years until the competition has their products out and the competition is really in full swing.

fredneck has some interesting points.

Tesla is a new company, first American car company to go public like in over a half a century or more. But I would say a lot of his points were more relevant a few years ago. They were more concerned about financial stability last year than now.

Tesla makes great cars, they have a great track record over the last four years, the build quality seems to be much better. We are probably at the tail end of the early adopter stage.

Tesla cars are fun to drive, the torque is a kick in the pants even at the entry level. Test drive one and see what you think.

I think the most valid point is charging. If at 22 you were driving mostly around town into the city and back at night and able to charge at your location, you should be fine. If you were like me at 22 and driving to all my friends houses in different states every weekend. Charging will be more or a pain.

It’s all about the trade-offs.

What is this thing of calling people trolls? The guy asked a question and people are discussing it with him. If you don't like anything about this just ignore the thread why don't you?

Not sure how long you have been around car forums (or other online forums) but there is a certain "flow" to people who post simply to get people riled up. One thing they do is post a vague question like "is it worth it"? which is an open ended question designed to spur debate both from people who like the product or people who hate it.

Second, is they provide almost no qualifiers on their own... Like "I drive xx amount of distance, or I live in a place that has this type of weather and want to know if its worth it". They also normally provide some fairly useless qualifying information. In a car forum with expensive cars, its very common for someone to come in and say something like:

" Hi I am 17 years old and live in my moms basement. I currently drive a Mercedes AMG c63, but want to know if getting a BMW M5 is worth it?"

Im exaggerating a bit, but only a bit. This OPs post is basically the same "Hi, I am very young and drive a late model expensive car already, and I am thinking of getting rid of it for this car. Is it worth it?"

Nothing wrong with that at all, but the fact that there are no other qualifers (such as whats wrong with the current car, or what is drawing them to this car, or what they read about specifically that they have questions on), reads like a troll post.

Another characteristic is a post and run. Make the post, a couple of quick follow ups, then sit back and watch and dont post anymore in that thread.

I am giving you a detailed answer because you asked a fair question. Of note, I also liked your follow up post. Good points in it, well thought out, etc. Nice job there.

Not sure how long you have been around car forums (or other online forums)...

JJ beat me to it and gave an excellent response.

To add a few more points on how to spot a troll:

1) First or second post/new account.
2) Age is 16-25
3)ALWAYS “has” an expensive car for their age range
4) Will be in the forum, but never interact with the thread they started.

If I was a mod I would’ve deleted this thread immediately. Basically the goal is to get the community arguing. In this case he wants us to argue about being financially responsible, lease vs buy, life goals vs responsibilities, etc.

This is a rookie troll post, like kindergarten grade level. Hopefully with his next new account the OP will try harder.

@Fredneck - I admire the folks like yourself on this forum for willingness to share and help others. That's how it should be. I think @jjrandorin, @DrtyJrze, and myself are just a little jaded from our countless hours on the BMW forums :). These guys both made some keen observations in regards to trolls and with good intentions of just not wanting others to waste their time/efforts. But kudos to you for a solid answer :)

Not sure how long you have been around car forums (or other online forums) but there is a certain "flow" to people who post simply to get people riled up. One thing they do is post a vague question like "is it worth it"? which is an open ended question designed to spur debate both from people who like the product or people who hate it.

Second, is they provide almost no qualifiers on their own... Like "I drive xx amount of distance, or I live in a place that has this type of weather and want to know if its worth it". They also normally provide some fairly useless qualifying information. In a car forum with expensive cars, its very common for someone to come in and say something like:

" Hi I am 17 years old and live in my moms basement. I currently drive a Mercedes AMG c63, but want to know if getting a BMW M5 is worth it?"

Im exaggerating a bit, but only a bit. This OPs post is basically the same "Hi, I am very young and drive a late model expensive car already, and I am thinking of getting rid of it for this car. Is it worth it?"

Nothing wrong with that at all, but the fact that there are no other qualifers (such as whats wrong with the current car, or what is drawing them to this car, or what they read about specifically that they have questions on), reads like a troll post.

Another characteristic is a post and run. Make the post, a couple of quick follow ups, then sit back and watch and dont post anymore in that thread.

I am giving you a detailed answer because you asked a fair question. Of note, I also liked your follow up post. Good points in it, well thought out, etc. Nice job there.

I don't have the time to go back and see who said what, but I simply don't see the value in labeling posters as "trolls" simply because they don't like what the person wrote. If it's a lame post, ignore it. The only people getting worked up are the ones calling him a troll. That's the best way to handle trolls, ignore them. That's what I will do with further posts about this "troll", I'll ignore them.

Reactions: Sherlo