Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I wait to purchase used 85D since Model X release is just a month away?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have never leased a vehicle before, but the unique nature of the Tesla and the inevitable enhancements over the next three years are really making me strongly consider it. Although it will cost a little bit more in the end, I don't think I will feel as much regret if some new feature comes out shortly after delivery of a leased vehicle, since I know I will have something to look forward to in 3 years. However, with a purchase I probably will not be getting another car for at least 5 years and every new feature is going to further hurt resale price on the vehicle I buy today. Is my thinking misguided?

That's the exact same line of thinking I'm using, except for the lease part as I've done a few of those before. It just seems like this is the perfect car to lease, get a new one every three years...

Jeff

If the form factor of SUV vs. a saloon sedan doesn't matter, I would wait. Tesla will definitely be dropping all kinds of new features into the X that would make feature-hungry people drool. For me, there is no way I'd buy an SUV because I don't need that form factor and the S looks just so good. SUVS, no matter how cool, look like soccer mommy/daddy vehicles to me.

- K

Judging from some of the X mule pics with cameras under the mirrors, I think X will come with 360º camera for easier parking. I'm waiting to see if the S gets it too.

Ditto, that more than anything is what I'm waiting for. Better AP hardware would be welcome, but I think unnecessary. Ventilated seats is the other option I'd like, but reading about this has made me think that Photosync and pre-cooling will be good enough.

360 view is the big deal for me. This is a big​ sedan (bigger than our Infiniti CUV...)

Ditto, that more than anything is what I'm waiting for. Better AP hardware would be welcome, but I think unnecessary. Ventilated seats is the other option I'd like, but reading about this has made me think that Photosync and pre-cooling will be good enough.

360 view is the big deal for me. This is a big​ sedan (bigger than our Infiniti CUV...)

The things I'm most interested in seeing are as follows (no particular order).

1. Ventilated seats. Yes I know I can precondition the cabin but I have them on my Chevy Silverado and love them....
2. 360 camera view. Had in an BMW X5 that I test drove and thought it was tremendously helpful.
3. HUD. I realize this is highly unlikely as Tesla has never made a mention of this functionality and while I wouldn't wait to order an Model S just for this, I'm looking at it as a potential surprise in the Model X.
4. Improved main CPU. The current setup can be sluggish from what I've seen on the test drives that I have had. It'd be a bit surprising to see the Model X on such an old hardware platform, but not out of the question.

If none of this comes with the Model X then that's fine, I'll go ahead and order the Model S as is. But I figure I've waited this long, might as well wait another few weeks.

Jeff