TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Should my second Tesla be another Signature Model S?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Gu$ G, Nov 29, 2019.

1. Gu$ G

Gu$ G Member

I currently own a Black on Black Signature that is fully loaded for a 2012. It has about 108k miles on it and we love it, have owned for a year now. We're interested in buying a second Telsa.

We're pretty big fans of buying used to save, I've never owned a new car. Tesla almost changed that with the M3 but I'm still holding out as right now seems a particularly bad time to purchase a used M3.

So I'm strongly considering the second car will be another Model S. I would probably own two for a year and then sell the black Signature. I've been eyeing a 40k mile Signature Red. I have very limited experience with newer Tesla's, having only ridden in a 2015 MS and only sat in a showroom M3...

What year would you suggest if trying to get a good value? This car would be a daily driver putting 10-20k miles / year.

Things that matter to me: I like my nice interior, premium sound and powered lift gate. The performance is ok, but not that important to me. The Signature is an easy way to get a lot of features for around $30k.

It would be nice to have a few years left on the drive unit / battery warranty, I can fix the small stuff myself if necessary. It would also be nice to have autopilot and a snappier MCU.

I was also eyeing a new M3 but I haven't had a great track record of taking care of my vehicles over the last decade. I'm rarely able to find the time to wax/coat and clean the car the way I would want. My fear with buying something too new or too clean is that I'll ding it up and feel guilty I've ruined the value of my new M3, for example.

Any opinions from those when more experience would be awesome. Thank you.

2. AustinP

AustinP Active Member

Nice choice !
    For a snappier MCU, you'll need to eye for a MCU2 fitted car, meaning built around april 2018 and after.
    It'll be more expensive probably, but the battery/drive train warranty will be nice indeed

3. TonyT

TonyT Member

Make sure cars this age have a replaced MCU, some are still on original and close to death. However if still functioning the eMMC can easily be upgraded and replace breathing new life into the MCU1.

• Informative x 1
  4. aerodyne

aerodyne Active Member

Or, spend the effort and put up with the pain of buying used from Tesla. There is a SoCal 2015 90D with 30 ish k miles for 51xxx...

The 4yr warranty will take care of the MCU and anything else.

Plus this one has pano, leather, air, light headliner. I'd get it but I already have a similar car...

5. MichaelP90DL

MichaelP90DL Active Member

I'm with Aerodyne, above. Grab the SoCal 2015 90D with 30 ish k miles for 51xxx...from Tesla's inventory.

6. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

I second this mainly because I wouldn’t want to own a tesla that no longer has a battery warranty which the signature models are close to

7. Gu$ G

Gu$ G Member

I appreciate all the advice. I'll definitely make sure I upgrade the MCU in just about any early Model S.

The Tesla is SoCal is nice, certainly one I'll consider. I can buy these cars wholesale, either with a clean or salvage title. I will likely look to buy at auction with a clean title.