Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should not exceed 892 pounds for passengers and cargo

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ChrisH

Jun 4, 2013
Milton, wa
Has anyone else ever noticed that the model 3 sticker inside the driver door says the maximum cargo including passengers and cargo should not exceed 892 pounds? This seems somewhat low to me. This is five passengers weighing 178 pounds each and no cargo.

Has anyone else ever noticed that the model 3 sticker inside the driver door says the maximum cargo including passengers and cargo should not exceed 892 pounds? This seems somewhat low to me. This is five passengers weighing 178 pounds each and no cargo.
It actually isn't that low and is not that atypical from other 5-passenger cars.

Surprisingly, Top New Sedan Reviews | Best New Sedan – Consumer Reports still lets you see the max loads w/o an account. Click on Exterior Dimensions. You'll see the max load column. Top New SUV Reviews | Best New SUV – Consumer Reports is for SUVs. You'll notice that max load for smaller SUVs tends not to be real high either.

This has been discussed before at Weight capacity for trunk.

Car Weight Limits | Weight Capacity - Consumer Reports News mentions some limits. The below mention some examples that are surprisingly low.
How to pack a car for a safe road trip
Pulling your weight

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the informative responses. I was just pretty surprised to see that as even me as driver and three of male male friends would be somewhere around 820 pounds with no cargo. Adding a 5th would put us way over. I guess most sedans are meant to have four adults these days.

True, but of little concern in the real world. First, there's no fear of structural failure as there are engineering limits far in excess of those actually listed on the data plate. Second, this is common practice apparently. As quoted from the useful links above (this from 2013 FWIW, yet how often does one read of auto accidents or component failure caused by overloading?):

Car Weight Limits | Weight Capacity - Consumer Reports News

The truth is that many new family sedans, SUVs, compacts, and subcompact models are at or near their maximum load capacity when loaded up with four average-sized American males and their luggage, gear, or other cargo.

The Ford Fusion, Honda Accord, and Mazda6 midsized sedans, for example, all have a combined load capacity of 850 lbs. for passengers and cargo. That means that four 195-lb. passengers, which is about average for an American male according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), would be close to maxing out any of those sedans’ capacities as soon as they got in. Throw in another 70 pounds for luggage, gear, or whatever else they want to bring along and all three cars would be at their maximum load. Keep in mind that these are all five-passenger vehicles. Squeeze in one more average guy and the car would not only cease to be a pleasant place to be, but it would be way past its limit without any cargo.

[truncated]

Thanks for all of the informative responses. I was just pretty surprised to see that as even me as driver and three of male male friends would be somewhere around 820 pounds with no cargo. Adding a 5th would put us way over. I guess most sedans are meant to have four adults these days.
RIght, but if you try to cram three 250lb. friends in the back they likely won't fit anyway, so the car has a built in self-defense system against too much weight. :) I really don't think of M3 as a five passenger vehicle. In a pinch, I guess you can put five in, but realistically that's really more the full size luxury car, van or SUV's job if you plan to do it regularly.

What are you guys worried about? Some risk adverse legal department probably set the weight limits to keep warranty claims down.

This Class 6 truck has a GVWR of 20,000 lbs... seems to be doing fine. I count 72 visible people and tons of cargo. You figure they have another dozen in the cab. So 84 people at 120 lbs each, plus cargo. They still have some room for more...

The-most-overloaded-vehicles-of-all-times.1__880.jpg

This Mit. Fuso (Class 1) is only rated for GVWR of 6000 lbs... which is only 1200 lbs more than the GVWR of the Model 3 at 4800 lbs.

It has six people in the cab and 12 visible in the back before cargo.... 120 X 18 = 2160 lbs before you factor in the vehicle weight and cargo...

Again you should be fine.

DSC00387-copy-3__880.jpg

I have carried 1/3 cord of firewood, which weighed about 1500 lbs in my S, with no issues. Then add in two passengers (fat boys 200 lbs each) we were pushing 2000 lbs in a car rated for 1000 lbs of passenger and cargo, the air suspension even kept the car level. We still out accelerated every car around us.... the Tesla branded Brembo brakes worked great too.

Dont ask me how much I have towed, lets just say I won a bet with an Tesla Testy neighbor who never has anything good to say about Tesla... he has STFU after event (I should have videoed it).....

Model S GVWR is 5997 lbs, curb weight is 4941 lbs (in fat boy config dual motors P). Towing capacity, lets just say it was a very very large boat that this guy pulls with his dually diesel.

It wasnt this cool though

My model 3 door sticker has 826 pound limit not 892. I wonder if it varies on type. Mine is LR AWD. Just posted about this in the Tesla forum that I exceeded the weight limit with my passengers the other day. Possibly up to 900 plus. I drove slow and didn’t take the freeway. I never bottomed our either. Not something I’d try everyday but it appeared to handle fine on the road.