Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should not exceed 892 pounds for passengers and cargo

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My model 3 door sticker has 826 pound limit not 892. I wonder if it varies on type. Mine is LR AWD. Just posted about this in the Tesla forum that I exceeded the weight limit with my passengers the other day. Possibly up to 900 plus. I drove slow and didn’t take the freeway. I never bottomed our either. Not something I’d try everyday but it appeared to handle fine on the road.

Interesting. My 892 is RWD LR

It could be because the AWD has 2 motors and weighs more. Still not a drastic change in weight allowance but the 150 pound passenger is an exaggeration. I don’t normally drive with a full car of people either. This was out of the norm for me but I can easily say I went over the limit and didn’t notice anything different.

I did confirm my wife’s model 3 LR RWD is 892 pound allowance while the AWD is 826. I also have read they put that number conservatively to cover themselves although it should be able to handle more. How much more I’m not sure but if it’s an occasional thing and not some crazy driving it should be fine. I just checked my Toyota Sienna and it’s got a 1,200 pound limit. Pretty sure we exceed that limit along with luggage when we go on trips.

Vehicles have a weight rating. The factory will be responsible for good performance up to those amounts. Loading beyond the recomended weight is on you.

I have driven other heavily loaded vehicles before and you can really feel the effect on ride, handling acceleration, braking and strain on the air conditioning. Takes lots more throttle to get you up the hills and lots more braking getting stopped.

Tesla gives owners guidelines on how much to handle. Exceeding them is at your own risk.

Just because you can cram 5 beefy guys in your car, does not mean it will perform the same as just with the driver.

I am curious though. Each vehicle has a gross axel weight rating for the front and rear of the car. It doesn’t state how much weight is placed on the front and rear alone from natural car weight so how would someone know if if they are exceeding the weight in the front or rear?

So the LR AWD has the front axel max as 2,447 lbs and the rear as 2,771 lbs. The gross vehicle weight rating is 4,933 and the maximum passenger/cargo capacity should not exceed 826lbs. If I establish went over 826 lbs passenger capacity, how do I calculate how much over or under I was for the front or rear gross axel weight rating? It states going over the maximum weight could cause damage but it doesn’t state anywhere in the manual on how to calculate this.

Last edited:
Yep I was just reading up on the Tire and Loading Info Label on our Model X 75D - "Max Combined Weight of Occ. & Cargo Should Never Exceed 532kg / 1173lb"! Well we have a 7 Seater but my BFF & her daughter alone probably weigh close to or just over 250kg / 550lb and that's without me the driver and my little asian family of 2 plus the German Shepherd:D

The first concern when you exceed vehicle Gross Weight is stopping distance - you can no longer stop in the rated distance. You need to allow more space for stopping, you need to be aware that your brakes can easily overheat and lose grip... these are safety concerns that commercial truck drivers know well, but typical consumers don't think about.

I think any Tesla is safe with what ever you can fit in it. Their handling is superb, tire pressures are high and their rated useful loads are a smaller proportion of their curb weight due to the heavy battery. A M3 is over 4k lbs with driver. Add another 1000 lbs and that's only 5000 lbs, about 25% more. Don't worry about it. It will accelerate slightly less and take longer to stop. Unless your racing your brakes are not going to overheat. Long downhills are braked by regen.