Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should surround cars always show up on the screen?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
About 24 hours old and dealing with many issues, however, Im not sure if the following is an issue. Ive noticed most of the time, cars driving around me show up on the screen (gray teslas), but a handful of times, even with cars next to me and not far in front, nothing shows...just my car icon.

So yours doesn’t always show either? Agree a single use of the rear pdc sensor arc could turn into a car icon but it suffices for now... I want it to always work! Also forgot to mention when the cars don’t show, the lanes don’t show either. Ugh.

The side cameras are not yet active for EAP, so the car can't be sure if the ultrasonic sensors are picking up a car to your side or a barrier.

Sure, you could apply some logic that if the obstruction isn't continuous or is moving or whatever, but that'd be resources diverted to a temporary solution instead of towards the end goal of full autonomy.

Sounds good on the blind spot developments. But what about the cars in front and side that the three front cameras pick up? Shouldnt this feature along with the road lines always be there if cars are within range? Mine doesnt always show even on roads with clear lane lines.

Can't wait till we are at a point when (while not using EAP/FSD) looking over your shoulder, or even to the side-view mirror is considerably more risky than keeping your gaze forward, eyes on the road, and seeing the animated vehicles on screen while assessing your blind spot.

About 24 hours old and dealing with many issues, however, Im not sure if the following is an issue. Ive noticed most of the time, cars driving around me show up on the screen (gray teslas), but a handful of times, even with cars next to me and not far in front, nothing shows...just my car icon.

24 hours? Wait a week or so before you start getting upset. It takes a little while to understand how things actually work.

The side cameras are not yet active for EAP, so the car can't be sure if the ultrasonic sensors are picking up a car to your side or a barrier.

Sure, you could apply some logic that if the obstruction isn't continuous or is moving or whatever, but that'd be resources diverted to a temporary solution instead of towards the end goal of full autonomy.
On a recent road trip in my S, I noticed that some vehicles would continue to show up as I passed them. If I passed regular cars, they would disappear from the screen once they were no longer visible by the center cameras. If I passed semis, they would continue to be displayed on the screen as I passed them.