Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should Tesla be worried about the Taycan?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Taycan is a complete validation of Tesla's business model circa 2013. I'm sure the interior will be very nice and it will handle well. Otherwise, it's technologically outdated. Some will buy it just because it's a Porsche, but there's only so many times you can go to that well.

You are talking two different groups of people. Tesla owners want to be able to tweet and text and do all sorts of other things besides driving while in their Tesla taxi whereas the Porsche owners care more about the handling and spirited driving of a Porsche. The only technology they want is a timer to tell them if they beat their last lap. They could care less about social media or having a huge screen so they can surf the web while the car is moving.

Reactions: tvad
You are talking two different groups of people. Tesla owners want to be able to tweet and text and do all sorts of other things besides driving while in their Tesla taxi whereas the Porsche owners care more about the handling and spirited driving of a Porsche. The only technology they want is a timer to tell them if they beat their last lap. They could care less about social media or having a huge screen so they can surf the web while the car is moving.

I'd say it's more that Tesla owners are concerned with the practical aspects of driving, whereas Porsche owners are willing to sacrifice comfort/practicality to own a "driver's vehicle" (regardless of whether they actually have the skill or interest to drive one as such).

This is a bit of a broad brush, of course...but since we're generalizing entire groups of people...

• Disagree
Reactions: tvad
Toyota alone has like 1500 dealerships in the US, it wouldn't be hard to make some space and put in a charging station at each dealership if they really want to invest in it. If the market is there for EVs, the dealerships will put it in themselves.

I don't think lack of self driving is an issue for Porsche. Presumably people buy it either for the driving dynamics or the badge.

The range is pretty pitiful though for the price point, it seems like more of a compliance car at this point.

Dealerships aren't spaced in the way you need for distance travel charging. Not even close.

Was talking about those new Electrify America stations coming online all over the place. I tried one and it's quite amazing. It had 350kW capability, which is something the Taycan should be able to make use of. My current car can only use half of that power, yet it's much quicker 0-80% than what I experienced with the Tesla. So yes, they're coming and they're coming way sooner than Tesla originally deployed theirs.

I've been planning a long trip (some 4K miles) and, along the entire way, there is only one area where I'd have to rely on a non-EA charger (but there's one such station under construction). They're not as plenty as the superchargers yet, but they're getting there reasonably fast.

Bark on Twitter

I hadn't initially realized just how expensive the Taycan is. You can easily option this car up to $250k. Starting price alone makes this irrelevant with regard to Tesla's current line-up. When 2020 Roadster comes along they can have their halo-car pissing contest, but otherwise it's a complete non-factor. The Audi etron and Jag iPace are more important price points, but their stats don't stack up.

This really demonstrates the gap Tesla has established. It's all about cost per kwh of battery and efficiency, and Tesla has a sizable lead.

I'd say it's more that Tesla owners are concerned with the practical aspects of driving, whereas Porsche owners are willing to sacrifice comfort/practicality to own a "driver's vehicle"...
As a past owner of three Porsche sports cars, and a present owner of a Porsche Macan (as well as a Model 3 AWD), I can say Porsche cars are quite comfortable with extremely well designed seats and very good ergonomics...more so than a few sedans I have owned in the past.

I don't know what you mean by practicality, so I won't comment on that.