Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should Tesla be worried about the Taycan?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And Tesla has added CC
De facto it's not that different in the US. Practically every non-Tesla fast charger built includes CCS, and all non-Tesla BEVs sold now or coming to the market in the next few years with the exception of the Leaf are CCS.
Tesla has added CCS cables to existing SuCs in all of Europe, and the Model 3 has CCS contact. Many 3 owners in Norway prefer to charge at Ionity since it has a higher charging speed, they have to pay for SuC anyways.

• Informative
Reactions: tccartier
Why would Tesla worry? Their bet is on the 3, Y, and pickup now. They knew competition would come in the S and X markets, and it has. They got the 3 out in time and in enough volume to move their chits. S and X will sell as niche cars with lower segment market share. Until Tesla decides to update and reassert in that segment.

You mean the pickup that'll be out after Rivians, and won't be a real pickup? It'll sell in a small segment but they're behind there imo. Let's the disagrees fly.

Dzm

You mean the pickup that'll be out after Rivians, and won't be a real pickup? It'll sell in a small segment but they're behind there imo. Let's the disagrees fly.

Dzm

Where are you taking delivery of a Rivian?
Where are you getting a Rivian serviced?
Is it going to be kw competitive with Tesla?
Why would you doubt Tesla can release a vehicle when they have proven to produce S3X? How many Rivians are in customer garages?

Disagree button is lazy. I’d rather school you through elementary questioning.

A less than 100% tongue-in-cheek question, if I may:
Where can you get a Tesla serviced?

With Amazon and Ford behind them, surely Rivian will work something out. It will be interesting to see how they go about it.

I’m sure the knowledge at Ford to service Rivian EVs is non existent. Those capabilities will have to be developed. If Tesla is having problems making money right now, Rivian has no chance in the near future. That means Amazon and Ford shareholders will be carrying them.

Amazon can give Rivian the same capitalization as Tesla tomorrow and Rivian still doesn’t get any cars to consumers for a long time.

You can pay 100 billion each to 9 women and they still won’t be able to give birth to a baby in one month.

Amazon would have to basically buy out car dealerships all over the world to setup Rivian distribution and service.

And buy out LG Chem as well so there is a source of batteries.

Rivian sells 100 percent of what they make and so will Taycan because there’s only a few thousand cars tops.

styling wise- OF COURSE..YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
But charging network wise no way. i dont know why these car companies dont just pay tesla $$$ for the same charger tech so their cars can just charge at superchargers? Didnt tesla offer that for a price?

I’m sure the knowledge at Ford to service Rivian EVs is non existent. Those capabilities will have to be developed. If Tesla is having problems making money right now, Rivian has no chance in the near future. That means Amazon and Ford shareholders will be carrying them.

Amazon can give Rivian the same capitalization as Tesla tomorrow and Rivian still doesn’t get any cars to consumers for a long time.

You can pay 100 billion each to 9 women and they still won’t be able to give birth to a baby in one month.

Amazon would have to basically buy out car dealerships all over the world to setup Rivian distribution and service.

And buy out LG Chem as well so there is a source of batteries.

Rivian sells 100 percent of what they make and so will Taycan because there’s only a few thousand cars tops.

Does it really matter that Rivian can't make a profit for a few years? You're saying that as if Tesla has been consistently profitable for the last 10 years.

Amazon has so much cash to throw in huge amounts at anything for a decade and barely feel it. That's been their business plan for ages now and how they've built the company anyway - I don't think their shareholders are particularly worried about adding one more thing to that balance sheet. Especially a thing that could help their logistics business long term.

Your comment about Ford not having knowledge to fix Rivians is completely bizarre. One would assume that if they work together, they would know about Rivian's manufacturing and parts process. The last step would be to ramp up service personnel at various dealerships, which will take some time for sure, but it's not like they will have to put their service people through a 4 year college to service a car they built. Come on.

And why would Amazon need to buy out car dealerships if these dealerships are already Ford dealers? Maybe some(many) will be reluctant to sell it, but some(many) won't.

Now, the battery part IS interesting and I have no idea how these companies source their batteries. I recently read that a shortage of cobalt is possible very soon, but that will make it a problem for everyone then, including Panasonic.

A few thousand cars? From what I read, Porsche is planning 30k cars initially. That's a solid number one would think.

Now, unrelated to the above: I went to an Audi dealership yesterday to test drive some cars and looked at the e-tron. I found it quite awkward. It doesn't *feel* like an electric car. The design is very much what you would expect from Audi - the car interior is very well built, but it felt weird. It felt a lot more premium than my Model S in some aspects, but I had a mixed overall impression for some reason. I think a big center screen (as in Model S, not that Model 3 junk) somehow is a must for an EV. The e-tron doesn't have it. If Taycan turns out similar/same to the e-tron, I don't see myself ever considering it because it's just... clunky... But then again, Model 3 is the other, minimalist, extreme where it's so Spartan, it made me feel like sitting in a toy car after sitting in an Audi. It's hard to find a car that has it all these days :(.

Last edited:
Taycan could be a killer to the image of Tesla being the EV Leader in performance and charging speed. Their latest endurance tests showed that Taycan spent only 30% of the time charging over a 24 hour period running between 125-130 mph. Model 3 should have no thermal issue at such speed but at 125-130 mph, it cannot be driven for more than 40 min (Nyland's data on his Model 3 showed 837 wh/mi at 125 mph and 873 wh/mi at 138 mph) and would require 40 min charging even with V3 Supercharger. Can Model S Raven run at 125-130 mph without thermal issue?

Taycan could be a killer to the image of Tesla being the EV Leader in performance and charging speed. Their latest endurance tests showed that Taycan spent only 30% of the time charging over a 24 hour period running between 125-130 mph. Model 3 should have no thermal issue at such speed but at 125-130 mph, it cannot be driven for more than 40 min (Nyland's data on his Model 3 showed 837 wh/mi at 125 mph and 873 wh/mi at 138 mph) and would require 40 min charging even with V3 Supercharger. Can Model S Raven run at 125-130 mph without thermal issue?
The Model S with new battery is not yet on the market (and neither is the Taycan).

The Model S with new battery is not yet on the market (and neither is the Taycan).

D

I think that's a strawman issue for an electric vehicle meant to be used on public roads very seldom do I have occasion to drive north of 125 miles per hour for any length of time on public roads. But hey to each his own I guess

Reactions: 5JMJ
D

I think that's a strawman issue for an electric vehicle meant to be used on public roads very seldom do I have occasion to drive north of 125 miles per hour for any length of time on public roads. But hey to each his own I guess
Agreed. The Taycan is designed for requirements that don’t exist for 99.999% of users. You pay through the nose for that extra .001%

Reactions: 5JMJ
D

It is a German car. They drive really schnell an der autobahn. It also illustrates that more normal highway speeds will never be a problem.

On a personal note I think any cars going faster than 180 km/h is a waste of energy and too high risk at public roads. Should be blocked. Maybe 160 km/h is fast enough under any circumstances. Racing on closed tracks is ok.

Reactions: Sean Wagner
On a personal note I think any cars going faster than 180 km/h is a waste of energy and too high risk at public roads. Should be blocked. Maybe 160 km/h is fast enough under any circumstances. Racing on closed tracks is ok.

A good part of Germany plus my younger self would want a word with you on that assertion!

If you have an electric vehicle that you charged at home at 220, it’s only reasonable to expect that said vehicle can also use that charge to drive 220!

This is a required equilibrium condition of the universe, the absence of which will lead to rampant driving climate change, turning the Autobahn into a decaying Interstate, complete with potholes, off-camber turns and donut crumbs behind every bush along the way.

• Funny
Reactions: daktari
For one thing, the Taycan kind of is the new Panamera, it will even be built alongside it, on the same line. They didn't give it the same name as it's a bit of a niche product for now.

Taycan will be built in Zuffenhausen along side the 911, Boxster, and Cayman. Panamera is build in Leipzig with the Macan and Cayenne.

Porsche starts preparing its Zuffenhausen site for the Taycan's production ramp

Taycan is a sedan like the Panamera, but much smaller in size. Nothing in common other than four doors.

As a Tesla owner and Taycan reservation holder, I love my Tesla Model X but I'm very excited about the Taycan. If I end up buying one, it will replace my daily driver (ICE powered Audi) and my wife will continue driving our Model X.

I'm not overly concerned with the range because our Model X will continue to be our road trip car, and I don't need more than 200 miles of range for my daily driving. I used to regularly go to the track with previous Porsches, so I'm looking forward to tracking the Taycan and making other ICE drivers cry.

It's hard to say that it will directly impact Tesla sales. The Model S, it's most likely competitor, has already dropped quite a bit due to the Model 3. The Taycan might draw a few extra buyers away from Tesla, but the Taycan is in a different price league compared to the Model 3. I doubt there will be cross shopping between the two.

Honestly I'm a bit skeptical Porsche will sell 30-40k Taycans per year. Maybe at first due to the built up demand, but it's too expensive to sustain that level of sales. The Audi Etron GT has a better chance of being more competitive price wise. We will have to wait and see.

Overall, I'm just glad to see some real EV's hitting the market besides Tesla. More choice and competition benefits everyone.

Reactions: Kipernicus
I went to a taycan preview for people who put deposits on it. (a friend of mine, im happy with my p100d)
They guy in charge didn't have the answers to most of the questions, they just said everything was under progress and they're still figuring it out.
My friend put a deposit about a year ago and still hasn't heard much.

Don't think it will be as advanced as the tesla

Tesla is doomed. This forum will be coming to an end real soon

At a starting price of $150,000, the Model 3's starting price at $35,000 is no match compared to the first true electric car in existence, the porsche taycan Turbo. Yes Turbo, it has no turbo, but its called the Turbo

Taycan is nice. No killer. But nice