Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should Tesla pay towing for a warranty battery replacement?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last month Tesla had to tow my MS 200 miles from Clayton, NM to Santa Fe, NM for an HV battery replacement. Road side assistance incorrectly stated that my car was past its extended warranty - it was not and Tesla service verified that - and that the towing was going to be $1600 and that was not covered. However I had Tesla insurance so the first 50 miles was covered and that dropped the fee to $1200.

Tesla service in Santa Fe claimed battery failure warranty should cover all the towing, and that my car was also covered by Tesla's extended warranty. None-the-less I had to pay $1200 to the towing company and was assured by the service center that I would be reimbursed. I submitted the invoice a month ago and nothing from Tesla. A follow-up email has been unanswered for a week.

Suggestions?

Get the warranty doc for the year of your car. This example shows will cover the first 500 miles:
"
For vehicle malfunctions due to warrantable issues, transportation services, provided by Roadside Assistance, are covered by Tesla for the first 500 miles (800 km) to the nearest Tesla Service Center. You are responsible for transportation costs beyond 500 miles (800 km) or any additional transportation from such locations to any additional location. The vehicle must be covered by the New or Pre- Owned Vehicle Limited Warranty and located in the North America Region at the time Roadside Assistance is requested.
"

Is your car under the initial 4y/50k new warranty and was the tow to the closest SC? If so, you should be covered. If your car is 4y+ or 50k+ then this is muddier as this is technically under the "Battery and Drive Unit Limited Warranty" which I couldn't say yes or no falls under the the "New or Pre-owned.." verbiage above. I would think not but I'm not a lawyer.

I'm rooting for you as I'm out of the new warranty now but still under the extended one.

Get the warranty doc for the year of your car. This example shows will cover the first 500 miles:
"
For vehicle malfunctions due to warrantable issues, transportation services, provided by Roadside Assistance, are covered by Tesla for the first 500 miles (800 km) to the nearest Tesla Service Center. You are responsible for transportation costs beyond 500 miles (800 km) or any additional transportation from such locations to any additional location. The vehicle must be covered by the New or Pre- Owned Vehicle Limited Warranty and located in the North America Region at the time Roadside Assistance is requested.
"

Is your car under the initial 4y/50k new warranty and was the tow to the closest SC? If so, you should be covered. If your car is 4y+ or 50k+ then this is muddier as this is technically under the "Battery and Drive Unit Limited Warranty" which I couldn't say yes or no falls under the the "New or Pre-owned.." verbiage above. I would think not but I'm not a lawyer.

I'm rooting for you as I'm out of the new warranty now but still under the extended one.
Thanks for this. Everybody agrees I should be reimbursed at this point - I'm just not getting any action. It was towed to the nearest service center, Santa Fe, which was 200 miles farther away from Austin. The Santa Fe service center said 500 miles towing for battery failure, extended warranty or not.

Yea, I shot another email over to the service center. The guys there were really nice, but it’s a month out at this point. Ha ha that’s probably not much in Tesla time.
same issue with me. I had my car stop in the high way because of defective Right sided Body harness. Had to pay $325 as towing charges, they would not tow if I did not pay it. I have been to service center multiple times, even though the guys there are sympathetic to what I say, but no one is ready to reimburse me. I don't know who I need to contact. send messages in the app, they close it without resolving the issue. when I call 877-798-3752, pressing 2, it says I have appointment. but it cannot get anyone to pickup the phone. which email to contact?