Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should the State Police purchase some electric Dodge Chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is my thought. I'm not a transportation manager though.

Idaho has 5,000 miles of highway. A charger every 100 miles would require 50 chargers. (Every 50 may be more realistic)
The cost of chargers only is 7.5 million per your cost. That doesn't include the land lease or maintenance and other things. They would need to be secured somehow also.

I would put fast chargers at the police stations and some kind of quick-disconnect version of a J1772 at the locations they typically park to monitor the roads. That way they could sit charging with aircon running and all their systems on and if there's something to respond to they could just drop into drive and hit the throttle. No need to get out of the car. Supposedly the J1772 standard goes over 19kw, though the most I've ever seen is 11.5kw. Those types of locations could be little gravel pads at all the exits / overpasses / median turnarounds / etc. And their install cost could be $10K instead of $150K.

• Disagree
Reactions: ElectricIAC
I would put fast chargers at the police stations and some kind of quick-disconnect version of a J1772 at the locations they typically park to monitor the roads. That way they could sit charging with aircon running and all their systems on and if there's something to respond to they could just drop into drive and hit the throttle. No need to get out of the car. Supposedly the J1772 standard goes over 19kw, though the most I've ever seen is 11.5kw. Those types of locations could be little gravel pads at all the exits / overpasses / median turnarounds / etc. And their install cost could be $10K instead of $150K.
This may be a situation where induction charging is useful.

Electric quick disconnects are already a thing.

More and more police agencies are moving away from chasing vehicles unless there are extenuating circumstances. It's just not worth the risk. It was sort of amusing. My Brother-in-law is a state trooper in WA. Apparently there was a guy running from the WSP that called 911 to tell the operator he was being pursued and he knew they weren't supposed to :confused:

It is amazing how often police leave their vehicles running. Not sure the cost/benefit really weighs out...

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Not just car chases. The cops may have to travel 25 to 40 minutes to a call. There could only be one officer for 30 miles. Occasionally the small town Police departments will be assisting the Sheriffs department and State Police because they can respond quicker to calls just outside of their towns than the Sheriff can. I think it's called mutual aid.

Electric quick disconnects are already a thing.

More and more police agencies are moving away from chasing vehicles unless there are extenuating circumstances. It's just not worth the risk. It was sort of amusing. My Brother-in-law is a state trooper in WA. Apparently there was a guy running from the WSP that called 911 to tell the operator he was being pursued and he knew they weren't supposed to :confused:

It is amazing how often police leave their vehicles running. Not sure the cost/benefit really weighs out...

So they’re just gonna drag a cord if they forget to unplug?

Reactions: Yapa Drive
Maybe, but I'm not sure that is a given. Police vehicles are basically just slightly modified passenger vehicles you and I can buy.
I suspect law enforcement would be exempt from any mandates since they usually are now.
I agree that they should begin getting them to try out in the field. We need to transition to electrifying transportation in the U.S.