Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shouldn't this be covered under warranty?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a nice technician come out to install homelink a few weeks ago and before starting the install, we noticed that my glove box was not aligned with the dash. The technician confirmed this wasn't normal and suggested that I book an appointment to have it replaced.

I booked the appointment and the day prior to the set date, I recieved a quote from Tesla mobile stating that it'd be almost $400 to have my glovebox fixed/replaced.

I have 5600 miles and purchased the car 2 weeks into January 20, brand new.

Thoughts?
20200304_204746.jpg
20200304_204704.jpg

My Model 3 had an off center steering wheel and I made an appointment with the Rocklin SC using the app. Before the appointment, I got a quote from Tesla (can't remember the dollar amount) and asked about it. I was told the dollar amount was there in case they found the cause of my issue was due to my own negligence. Once they confirmed the error was due to a manufacturing fault, they changed the estimate to $0.00 and the service was no charge. Is it possible your experience is something similar ?

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
My Model 3 had an off center steering wheel and I made an appointment with the Rocklin SC using the app. Before the appointment, I got a quote from Tesla (can't remember the dollar amount) and asked about it. I was told the dollar amount was there in case they found the cause of my issue was due to my own negligence. Once they confirmed the error was due to a manufacturing fault, they changed the estimate to $0.00 and the service was no charge. Is it possible your experience is something similar ?
At delivery my 2020 had an offset steering wheel as well and pulled to right. A few days later I drove to a SC and they performed an alignment and all is well. Warranty - zero cost.

This is just a tacky, customer-abusing, way to do business. Who comes up with these "people optional" policies that end up being customer harassment?

I too have had repeated issues "dealt with" via text message. That translates into "COMPLETELY IGNORED." Our new, 1,000-mile old Model S Performance has had so many warning and caution messages that they wouldn't all fit in the MCU screen.

Sent pictures via text to whoever ignores issues on behalf of Texas customers so they could ignore ours too.

After eight Model S's, this is really getting on our nerves.

ELON: PLEASE FIX THESE CHRONIC CUSTOMER SERVICE DISASTERS BEFORE THEY BLOW UP.

Thanks.

Reactions: kavyboy and TLLMRRJ
No contact. Just a confirmation for the appointment which seemed auto generated. The quote arrived with the confirmation notice as an attachment.

TL;DR: a preliminary invoice is more of an FYI and doesn't mean the repair won't be covered. You don't need to accept it before going to the appointment.

Tesla has sent me a preliminary invoice with a $$$ quote every time I've had warranty work done. Then, at the appointment, they always acknowledged it was a warranty issue and updated the invoice with a $0.00 total. I think this is just their procedure for situations where they cannot unequivocally determine if an item is a warranty claim or an elective repair until they actually see it. Note that nobody ever pressured me to accept a preliminary invoice. I ignored them, went to my appointments, and got my issues resolved.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
I had a nice technician come out to install homelink a few weeks ago and before starting the install, we noticed that my glove box was not aligned with the dash. The technician confirmed this wasn't normal and suggested that I book an appointment to have it replaced.

I booked the appointment and the day prior to the set date, I recieved a quote from Tesla mobile stating that it'd be almost $400 to have my glovebox fixed/replaced.

I have 5600 miles and purchased the car 2 weeks into January 20, brand new.

Thoughts? View attachment 522070 View attachment 522071

The quote may just be cautionary, in case they find you have damaged it in some way - perhaps by forcing it closed on a object too large for the glovebox. Otherwise, I consider this clearly a warranty item. Good luck.

TL;DR: a preliminary invoice is more of an FYI and doesn't mean the repair won't be covered. You don't need to accept it before going to the appointment.

Tesla has sent me a preliminary invoice with a $$$ quote every time I've had warranty work done. Then, at the appointment, they always acknowledged it was a warranty issue and updated the invoice with a $0.00 total. I think this is just their procedure for situations where they cannot unequivocally determine if an item is a warranty claim or an elective repair until they actually see it. Note that nobody ever pressured me to accept a preliminary invoice. I ignored them, went to my appointments, and got my issues resolved.

Odd how after buying about a half dozen BMW's and MBZ's I don't recall ever having to deal with "estimates" for warranty repairs.

Why does Tesla feel the need to do this?

Odd how after buying about a half dozen BMW's and MBZ's I don't recall ever having to deal with "estimates" for warranty repairs.

Likely because the responding technician has not yet laid eyes on the problem. Especially in the case of mobile service, it makes sense to me to prepare the customer for what it may cost if warranty doe not cover the repair. In the dealership case, your service advisor is looking at the problem with you as they write it up in the drive lane. Even then they may have to wait until some disassembly and diagnostics are performed. We are pioneers in a totally changed service model from what has existed before. Again, good luck on this. Expect them to be fair.

I suspect it’s Because to many people come in only to find out they installed some custom this or that, that broke something.

I think custom electronics like dashcam that drains 12v battery triggered this policy. Now they just standardize it on everything.

If they find out after the fact owner says well if you told me it wasn’t covered then I might have elected to not fix it. Then Tesla is screwed. Or Tesla could exam first, then get approval then do work. But that ties up more shop time.

The whole thing makes perfect sense to me.

You can tell by the posts on the forum the types of issues they have to deal with. Like my battery is down 5 miles can you fix it.

And the number of mods is crazy. Like the pivoting display option. I’m sure they would love that one.

I have a mobile appointment coming up - they text me updates and ignore any replies/questions from me.

They text that I need to agree to the estimate of which there was none so I guess that means I agree? Or disagree? Hmm

Service communication still continues to be the biggest hole in the Tesla experience, luckily I really like the car and it works well so having to interact with service is a rare occasion. Will be curious to see if there is indeed a cost since the appointment is to deal with an alert on the screen telling me to call service due to safety system fault, one that won't reproduce any more.

Reactions: TSLA Pilot
I have a mobile appointment coming up - they text me updates and ignore any replies/questions from me.

They text that I need to agree to the estimate of which there was none so I guess that means I agree? Or disagree? Hmm

Service communication still continues to be the biggest hole in the Tesla experience, luckily I really like the car and it works well so having to interact with service is a rare occasion. Will be curious to see if there is indeed a cost since the appointment is to deal with an alert on the screen telling me to call service due to safety system fault, one that won't reproduce any more.

In my experience, they can't "find" the faults unless you tell them the day and time the fault occurred, which is seems very odd.

Thus, I take pictures of them just to CYA as then they can't claim I'm making it up . . . not that it matters as they don't really fix them anyway.

This is arguably Tesla's worst aspect: service support.

So very frustrating, but it's part of the Tesla "experience" I guess since we've seen it degrade so far, and so fast, from 2013.

Fix it Elon!

In my experience, they can't "find" the faults unless you tell them the day and time the fault occurred, which is seems very odd.

That was the only real request I got from them, I replied with the best window of time I could and also asked how come such on-screen warnings weren't marked in the logs so easier to find (splunk search anyone?). Of course, no reply to that ;)

@K_32

I have the same issue, and this was at delivery, so I thought it was normal.

Can someone take a picture of their glovebox being flushed so we can confirm if this is actually an issue?

Mine is not flush either. However, the gap is less than in OP's car. I probably would not have noticed it but for this thread. When I cast my old eyes upon it the first time I felt that I was gazing into a black hole. Upon closer inspection though, there it was. Not an issue to me now, as I will not notice it again. There was a time I might have felt differently. Again, good luck with getting it corrected to your satisfaction - won't happen unless you try.

Reactions: 6thDAY