Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Side Mirror Chrome Delete

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, we recently had the chrome deleted from our Model X, but we were disappointed and unsatisfied with the fact that the "wrap" didn't completely cover the side mirrors when they are retracted [picture included].

The installer failed to mention this to us, but according to them, and anecdotally with a Model S owner we talked to, there is no way to completely wrap the side mirrors due to the motor and movement. The only fix the installer could come up with was to maybe look into seeing how the mechanics worked and taking it apart and painting the chrome.

In the meantime we had the wrap completely removed from the mirrors because we think it looks cheap and sloppy. Does anyone have info that there is a solve for this or been able to completely wrap the side mirrors or paint them? Thanks.
UaSx1mD.jpg

No offense, but you need to hire a professional. My 7 year old could do a better job on those corners and cut line. How does the rest of the wrap look?

Yes, the owner of the company was not happy with the quality when he saw it and has offered to redo it free, but he made it clear that he can't completely cover the chrome which, for us, is a deal breaker. The rest of the chrome delete and some custom painting ("T" logos & trunk chrome piece) is really well done.

Yes, the owner of the company was not happy with the quality when he saw it and has offered to redo it free, but he made it clear that he can't completely cover the chrome which, for us, is a deal breaker. The rest of the chrome delete and some custom painting ("T" logos & trunk chrome piece) is really well done.

Ah glad to hear. There are quite a bit of backyard wrap installers that popped up in recent years. Some are great, others not so much. I tried my hand at it on my own Mini and it’s very time consuming and detailed work.

Your installer was telling the truth - unfortunately. There is no good way to fully wrap the mirrors that won’t either prevent the mirrors from moving properly or rip the vinyl off. Both my X and my S have the same thing. My S originally was fully covered but then the mirror couldn’t move properly and sometimes got stuck in bad positions.

I just had my X done last week - I was hopeful they had solved the challenge in 3 years but - nope.

The good news is you can stop your mirrors from auto-folding and you will never see it! And when the mirrors are extended you don’t notice it.

Unfortunately, your guy was telling the truth and is not a fly-by-night guy willing to do anything - he was doing it right. Though he could have done the end...mine just has an oval cut-out on the top.

Your installer was telling the truth - unfortunately. There is no good way to fully wrap the mirrors that won’t either prevent the mirrors from moving properly or rip the vinyl off. Both my X and my S have the same thing. My S originally was fully covered but then the mirror couldn’t move properly and sometimes got stuck in bad positions.

I just had my X done last week - I was hopeful they had solved the challenge in 3 years but - nope.

The good news is you can stop your mirrors from auto-folding and you will never see it! And when the mirrors are extended you don’t notice it.

Unfortunately, your guy was telling the truth and is not a fly-by-night guy willing to do anything - he was doing it right. Though he could have done the end...mine just has an oval cut-out on the top.

That's what I was afraid of. I would love if you could take a picture of what exactly it looks like on your X to see how much chrome is exposed and how "clean" the lines are.

They’ll have to take apart the mirror to fix any alignment issues it may come installed by the factory.

Pretty much when my installer first did the install they told me the mirror components were too close to each other that with the vinyl wrap it’ll rub off and tear. I gave them an ok to remove and adjust it so it won’t rub and when he did I can now close and open the side mirrors without it tearing no the vinyl.

@hazart, your installer was lying to you because he doesn’t have the capabilities to do a proper chrome delete. Mine are fully wrapped. Luxe Auto Spa in Salt Lake City did my chrome delete and I have to say they did an amazing job. My photos don’t do the work justice.View attachment 273459View attachment 273460View attachment 273461

Want to bet ? Wait for the mirrors to start rubbing more when it warms up. They will have to be completely replaced !!!
Experienced installers know how to put a triable in those 2 spots so if pressure increases the owner can pull the triangles off.

We learned the hard way too.

They’ll have to take apart the mirror to fix any alignment issues it may come installed by the factory.

Pretty much when my installer first did the install they told me the mirror components were too close to each other that with the vinyl wrap it’ll rub off and tear. I gave them an ok to remove and adjust it so it won’t rub and when he did I can now close and open the side mirrors without it tearing no the vinyl.

you let your installer adjust the mirror tension? Brave !!

• Funny
Reactions: WeooooooHuh
@hazart, your installer was lying to you because he doesn’t have the capabilities to do a proper chrome delete. Mine are fully wrapped. Luxe Auto Spa in Salt Lake City did my chrome delete and I have to say they did an amazing job. My photos don’t do the work justice.View attachment 273459View attachment 273460View attachment 273461
May I ask what year your MX is? How long have you had the chrome delete? Per other comments, do you know if the installer had to adjust or take apart the mirror?

It does look phenomenal, btw.

@hazart it’s a 2017 (built in Dec 2017) and the work is only a week old. Plus, I live where its cold, so to @Naomi ’s point, I may be in for a surprise when its gets warmer? I do have my mirrors set to autfold, so they have probably rotated 50+ times since the install, no issues. I’ll update this if I see anything different. You could call Luxe as well, as this is the way they do all their chrome deletes and they have done a bunch!

@hazart it’s a 2017 (built in Dec 2017) and the work is only a week old. Plus, I live where its cold, so to @Naomi ’s point, I may be in for a surprise when its gets warmer? I do have my mirrors set to autfold, so they have probably rotated 50+ times since the install, no issues. I’ll update this if I see anything different. You could call Luxe as well, as this is the way they do all their chrome deletes and they have done a bunch!
Are those creases in it already or do you have a little depression there? I cannot tell from the pictures?

My S's tore away so they re-did and did cut-outs - my new X, done at a different place, same thing done first time - they explained to me the same problem.

Yours looks great - I hope for you it holds up. Every one I have seen has had cut-outs of some sort...

What vinyl did they use - maybe it is thinner? the Avery they used on mine is pretty thick but has a longer warranty...

View attachment 273624 View attachment 273625 Looks like mine are creased in the same shape as your cut outs @GOPJEW. Also, I noticed this felt on the underside of the mirror, is that an OEM thing or added by my installer? I also went with the satin finish from Avery.
The foam is OEM and why they do the cutout as it is what tends to rub...

The OP's cut-outs were ridiculously large - only thing required is the little bit cutout on mine - though I hope yours holds up - it looks great.

Realistically, cut-out or not is inconsequential because when they are folded out they look awesome with the blackout.

Reactions: floormat

I'm curious how the chrome delete on your side mirrors is holding up? Any rips or gashes in the wrap? Any issues with the mirror folding?