Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Side Repeater Camera - disconnect/reconnect - calibrate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why are you disconnecting it? Are you removing the repeater, or the fender?

I don't believe it would need to be recalibrated if you just unplug it. However if you replace the part the parameters are supposed to be cleared and then the camera self calibrates after driving the vehicle for a predetermined distance.

Had a body repair by what I thought was a great autobody shop (and tesla approved/certified), and they screwed up around the opening for the camera and might have damaged the camera housing itself. I've tried a few times to get them to repair - and they just don't do a good job. So - I'm going to get a camera off ebay and don't want to have to recalibrate.

Ah well sorry to hear. If you are replacing the camera Tesla procedures call for the parameters to be reset after assembly and then the system self calibrates after driving it. Can't remember how far it is, think it's like UP TO 100 miles/160 kms. Would have to look it up to be certain. Either way you'd need a shop or service center to reset the parameters, unless they can do it remotely.

Then again if you're not following those directions it may work fine. However if the area around the camera is damaged it may change the way the camera sits and possibly affect the performance of the system.

If it's the same camera, no.

If it's a different one - I'm not sure. Mobile repair guy who came by my place said that the SC needs to do something special if you're installing a new marker cam. If you have an SC nearby I'd stop by & ask one of the techs.

The current camera is fine - it's just that it no longer sits flush to the fender on the top ... I've tried myself (via the help of youtube videos) to take out then reinstall .. but for some reason - can't get it to totally seat properly. I think it's a poor design - i.e., the top part of the housing ... should have clips like the bottom part.

The current camera is fine - it's just that it no longer sits flush to the fender on the top ... I've tried myself (via the help of youtube videos) to take out then reinstall .. but for some reason - can't get it to totally seat properly. I think it's a poor design - i.e., the top part of the housing ... should have clips like the bottom part.
Both top & bottom have clips - they are SUPER easy to break. Also, they don't exactly sit "perfectly flush" to the fender - if you mean that, literally.

Both top & bottom have clips - they are SUPER easy to break. Also, they don't exactly sit "perfectly flush" to the fender - if you mean that, literally.

Not true. Every fender camera I've seen - ebay, internet, model 3 parts catalog, etc. - does not have upper clips ... they have two slanted projections on top. To remove, you push the bottom and side clips, push out the camera housing from the bottom, then the top follows.

Not true. Every fender camera I've seen - ebay, internet, model 3 parts catalog, etc. - does not have upper clips ... they have two slanted projections on top. To remove, you push the bottom and side clips, push out the camera housing from the bottom, then the top follows.
Clips, projections, whatever. They're easy to break.

Also - I get that it's not entirely flush - but I shouldn't be able to see the top inner housing of the camera when looking down at it.
Can you post a photo of what you're talking about? Because if your top clips are in tact, and are engaging the fender, that's about it. It's normal to see the black part of the camera from the top.