Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Siemens versicharge not charging model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cool. Hopefully it keeps working for you!

I did have Tesla get back to me on the Bug report and analyzed it and even had me make some additional videos. I even pointed them to this thread and the Plug Share location with others reporting. Basically what everyone thought...

Thanks for putting in the time to do this. From others people's experience I'm expecting it to not work consistently.

Is the Siemens at your house or at a public station? Has another 3 or S or X successfully charged on it and hopefully can come back for more tests. That should give it some weight or at least more debug info for tech support.

Reactions: eprosenx
Thanks for putting in the time to do this. From others people's experience I'm expecting it to not work consistently.

Is the Siemens at your house or at a public station? Has another 3 or S or X successfully charged on it and hopefully can come back for more tests. That should give it some weight or at least more debug info for tech support.

It is a pair of public chargers which are in our City Hall parking garage here in Surprise so there is only so much I can do. While I'm happy yours is working for you, I'm also kinda sad too since you own it you would be a better resource than me! My goal is to park there when I play at the tennis complex which is right next to it. I typically only play evenings and Saturday/Sunday mornings when the City Hall itself is closed. According to Plugshare the only issues have been with people with Model 3's and that is inconsistent - I see a couple of Model S checkins, but no Xs. I've been meaning to post something to the various Tesla groups to ask some others to check it out to collect more data, but haven't yet.

Update: seems like every other time now my Siemens is not working with the model 3, even with the pause 10 sec trick. Not as critical for me as I do almost all my charging at work.

I'm hopeful that the same issue about j1772 and model 3 from the juice box thread is related and that Tesla is working on it.

Update: seems like every other time now my Siemens is not working with the model 3, even with the pause 10 sec trick. Not as critical for me as I do almost all my charging at work.

I'm hopeful that the same issue about j1772 and model 3 from the juice box thread is related and that Tesla is working on it.
I would reach out to Tesla and formally complain. The more they hear from unhappy owners, the more likely they are to fix it.

Hadn’t tried charging in a while, but since I got a new firmware push this week (2018.50.6) and I happened to be by the Civic Center I gave it a try. Both of the Siemens chargers worked without any tricks! So doing know if Tesla included a fix or what, or how long it will continue to work. Just thought I’d update the thread,

• Informative
Hadn’t tried charging in a while, but since I got a new firmware push this week (2018.50.6) and I happened to be by the Civic Center I gave it a try. Both of the Siemens chargers worked without any tricks! So doing know if Tesla included a fix or what, or how long it will continue to work. Just thought I’d update the thread,

Still interrupts like crazy with latest firmware. It really is by luck when it works for hours straight.

Bummer was hoping that 2018.50.6 just fixed it. Is that what version you are currently on? It might also have something to do with how full the batteries are already. Mine were already about 80%.

Yes I'm on 2018.50.6. Last charge I had on it I started at 40% and no interrupts. I wake up the next morning and see all these interrupts and it stopped at 72% (80% set max).

Usually if it doesn't work for me it is within the first minute.

I'm having the same issues. I bought my m3 last Jully and started using the Versicharge immediately, and had no issues with it for probably 2-3 months. It worked every time, first try, and I don't recall it ever interrupting once. Then, these issues started happening and seem like they've somehow gradually gotten worse. At this point, for the last week or so, I generally can't get the car to charge for more than 10 seconds. I've tried the trick of pausing initially, still with no luck. Hoping someone comes across a solution...

From Tesla Tech Support on 4/2. For my Model 3 RWD LR

TESLA "This is a known issue, that is currently being investigated and a future firmware will resolve this issue. the vehicle is still able to charge at other EVSEs as expected."
ME: "any eta on the release date or is it just a back log item I work in field support as well
TESLA (Jordi): No ETA at the moment.
ME:Also is it ok to use the charger and let it cycle on and off or is that not recommended
TESLA (Jordi): Yes, you can do that.

Based my experience in field issue management and given that this impacts less than all users, my guess would be it will be a low priority. Plus, if it is being investigated, how does he know if firmware can solve it. Seem like a BS answer. I hope I am wrong.

BTW, Has anyone tried adjusting the current limiter internal to the Siemens VersiCharge?

From Tesla Tech Support on 4/2. For my Model 3 RWD LR

TESLA "This is a known issue, that is currently being investigated and a future firmware will resolve this issue. the vehicle is still able to charge at other EVSEs as expected."
ME: "any eta on the release date or is it just a back log item I work in field support as well
TESLA (Jordi): No ETA at the moment.
ME:Also is it ok to use the charger and let it cycle on and off or is that not recommended
TESLA (Jordi): Yes, you can do that.

Based my experience in field issue management and given that this impacts less than all users, my guess would be it will be a low priority. Plus, if it is being investigated, how does he know if firmware can solve it. Seem like a BS answer. I hope I am wrong.

BTW, Has anyone tried adjusting the current limiter internal to the Siemens VersiCharge?

Low priority? Yeah, it is 9+ months since I reported it and this thread it almost 11 months old,

It is a pair of public chargers which are in our City Hall parking garage here in Surprise so there is only so much I can do. While I'm happy yours is working for you, I'm also kinda sad too since you own it you would be a better resource than me! My goal is to park there when I play at the tennis complex which is right next to it. I typically only play evenings and Saturday/Sunday mornings when the City Hall itself is closed. According to Plugshare the only issues have been with people with Model 3's and that is inconsistent - I see a couple of Model S checkins, but no Xs.

FWIW, I checked the PlugShare page, and in January there's a "could not activate" entry from a BMW i3 owner, too, although the comment reads "one of the two charging stations is out of service currently," so it's not clear if there's some unrelated problem with one of the stations or if (newer?) BMW i3s are now having problems for the same reason as Model 3s. The number of reports from Model 3 owners who've had problems (plus that one BMW i3 report) has driven this site's PlugShare rating down to 1 (of 10).

FWIW, I checked the PlugShare page, and in January there's a "could not activate" entry from a BMW i3 owner, too, although the comment reads "one of the two charging stations is out of service currently," so it's not clear if there's some unrelated problem with one of the stations or if (newer?) BMW i3s are now having problems for the same reason as Model 3s. The number of reports from Model 3 owners who've had problems (plus that one BMW i3 report) has driven this site's PlugShare rating down to 1 (of 10).

I haven't checked it out recently but will on Sunday. But the last time I did one of the chargers did seem to be offline altogether.

My Canadian friend charged his model 3 using my Verischarge last August. He got his car in June 2018. The charger was installed in dec 2017. It looks like the one pictured above with the cheap plastic charging end. No issues.

Low priority? Yeah, it is 9+ months since I reported it and this thread it almost 11 months old,

I agree I don’t see a fix from Tesla in the future. That’s said I have now been able to get my VersaCharge to work 2 times in a row. I will test one more time this weekend. High level unplugging VersiCharge for 24 hours and the plugging back in seems to work for me but I want to test a few more times.

Reactions: azentropy and ninpb
I did go last Sunday and was able to charge mine as well. They actually moved the units over to other spaces. When I first plugged in it said to check equipment, but then when I went to remove and try the other unit it turned green and I was able to charge for about 50 minutes (enough time for me to walk to the Pei Wei, eat and walk back about 1/2 a mile.

Attachments

• IMG_0186.jpeg
    IMG_0186.jpeg
    275.1 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_0187.jpeg
    IMG_0187.jpeg
    284.2 KB · Views: 88
Probably going to jinx myself with this post, but I have a older Siemens Versicharge installed at home and haven’t experienced any problems charging my Model 3 over the last 4 months. Makes me wonder if the bugs are specific to a particular version of the Versicharge or if there are underlying voltage issues with the public ones that folks mentioned having issues with...

Glad to hear I'm not alone.
I've been happy with my Versicharge / Leaf combo for 2.5 years. Just bought a 2018 Model S and I have what appears to be the same issue.

I've only tried it twice in the garage, but manually setting my car's charging limit to 30A and using the pause function seem to be working for now.

It's failed on the first attempt both times, and I can't be sure which remedy or combination solved it. I guess I'll keep trying.