Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Siemens versicharge not charging model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another follow up... went today to charge while playing tennis (starting cooling down slightly in the mornings) and neither charger worked again. It would start, but the would kick off after a few seconds. Firmware has changed since I last used it - 32.2 now. :(

I wonder if there is some other issue like a voltage drop issue with that installation? Only happens at certain times of day depending on grid load or load on the local transformer at the premise?

What exactly does the Tesla and charger do / report?

Maybe worth asking Tesla to remotely diagnose what they see?

Also worth talking to the charger owners to see if others have reported it.

Last edited:
I wonder if there is some other issue like a voltage drop issue with that installation? Only happens at certain times of day depending on grid load or load on the local transformer at the premise?

What exactly does the Tesla and charger do / report?

Maybe worth asking Tesla to remotely diagnose what they see?

Also worth talking to the charger owners to see if others have reported it.

Others on PlugShare have reported mixed results too with the Model 3 and it did work for me last time so I thought Tesla fixed in a firmware version, but now on a different version. No reported issues with other vehicles using the chargers.

Again it starts charging but after a few seconds stops/trips. After a few tries it gives up. I’ll try and take some screenshots or record it when I go again Saturday and try go get there earlier. Only had a few minutes this past Saturday to try it out before I gave up and had to get to the tennis courts.

Others on PlugShare have reported mixed results too with the Model 3 and it did work for me last time so I thought Tesla fixed in a firmware version, but now on a different version. No reported issues with other vehicles using the chargers.

Again it starts charging but after a few seconds stops/trips. After a few tries it gives up. I’ll try and take some screenshots or record it when I go again Saturday and try go get there earlier. Only had a few minutes this past Saturday to try it out before I gave up and had to get to the tennis courts.

Yeah, we have had others report issues with the Siemens Versicharge units on the forums, but it is very interesting that sometimes it has worked and other times it has not... You could be right that it is different firmware versions, though regressions like that should be pretty uncommon (if they fixed it in one version you would hope it would not regress in the next version). It more makes me wonder if it is some grid fluctuation issue in addition to an interaction with this type of charger.

It seems like the logical thing to do is to get Tesla support on the horn while you are at the charger and have them remote diagnose the car while at these units. Since it is multiple units having the same issue, it seems systemic somehow.

The challenge here is that you have four parties involved: Tesla, Siemens, you (the car owner), and then the facility owner. Kudos to whoever does the coordination to get this figured out. Seems like we need to get to ground on it.

The challenge here is that you have four parties involved: Tesla, Siemens, you (the car owner), and then the facility owner. Kudos to whoever does the coordination to get this figured out. Seems like we need to get to ground on it.

That is why I was hoping someone who has one would pick up the ball. I've probably already spent more time on it than any benefit I'd get out of it. ;)

Tried again yesterday and it failed. Would rev up to about 212V then kick off. This was with Firmware 2018.32.6 (which was updated Tuesday).

I did stop by earlier this week in the late afternoon when I was out doing an errand in the area thinking maybe the are doing something that disables it for the weekend, however there was an i3 and a Leaf already charging.

Does the coupler on the Siemens chargers look like the one in the attachment?

Attachments

• IMG_1887.jpg
    IMG_1887.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 186
I also have the siemens that worked flawlessly on my Leaf but not on my Tesla. It would give the red ring. I was able to get it working by pushing pause on my charger then plugging into the car. I waited about 10 seconds and then started the charger. It looks like the car charging circuit is looking to check for ground faults but the charger contactors are closing to fast so it sees the current draw not grounded. I would say this could be fixed if siemens did an update to there firmware. See if this works for anybody else having issues.

• Informative
Reactions: swaltner
I also have the siemens that worked flawlessly on my Leaf but not on my Tesla. It would give the red ring. I was able to get it working by pushing pause on my charger then plugging into the car. I waited about 10 seconds and then started the charger. It looks like the car charging circuit is looking to check for ground faults but the charger contactors are closing to fast so it sees the current draw not grounded. I would say this could be fixed if siemens did an update to there firmware. See if this works for anybody else having issues.

I tried last night and the good news is that method worked! I put it on pause before plugging it in, then waited about 10 seconds and un-paused and it started to charge. The bad news is after I let it charge for about 15 minutes I disconnected, let it close the door etc. and tried the other charger (there are 2 at that location). I just plugged it in like I had dozens of times before that didn't work and it also worked. So still not sure what to make of it as I last tried it a couple of weeks ago and haven't had a firmware update to my 3 in the meantime. I'll see what happens Saturday.

Friend with m3 came over and tested my Siemens evse. Didn't work but the workaround did work. Pause before plugging it into the car, wait 10 seconds and unpause to start. Charged successfully for 2 hours before unplugging.

Can you open a case with Tesla? This needs to be troubleshot or at a minimum be documented as eratta. Siemens or Tesla needs to figure this out. Sounds like it is reproducible on your unit so you are a great test case.

Reactions: cwerdna
Hi folks. I took delivery of my M3 on Friday, and I've been able to charge successfully on my VersiCharge without having to resort to any workarounds. I had a Leaf previously, which is why I already had the VersiCharge. If it makes any difference, here is the specific model I own:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MFVI92S/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If there's any information that would help with diagnosing this for others, let me know. I'm happy to do what I can.

I did try again Saturday Morning with V9 and couldn't keep it working. It would charge for about 20 seconds then stop and start over. Oddly it didn't give up as it must have done that about 10 times before I stopped. Before when it would get into that loop it would stop trying after 4 times or so.

Here is a pict of the model number, SS and build Date of one of the ones I've been trying it on.

Attachments

• IMG_0144.jpg
    IMG_0144.jpg
    408 KB · Views: 138
  • Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
I just took delivery of a model 3 two days ago, and have a Schneider Electric EVlink (30amps from Home Depot) that I installed in 2012 and have used to charge my Ford Focus Electric for 6 years now. BUT, the model 3 will not charge from it, no matter what I try, and it has the same symptoms as others have described in this thread. I plan to install a Tesla Wall unit in time, but must say it's discouraging that the 3 is not compatible it seems with these older charge units. I'll try to escalate the issue with Telsa support, since I can not trust charging the 3 at any J1772 charging station.

I just took delivery of a model 3 two days ago, and have a Schneider Electric EVlink (30amps from Home Depot) that I installed in 2012 and have used to charge my Ford Focus Electric for 6 years now. BUT, the model 3 will not charge from it, no matter what I try, and it has the same symptoms as others have described in this thread. I plan to install a Tesla Wall unit in time, but must say it's discouraging that the 3 is not compatible it seems with these older charge units. I'll try to escalate the issue with Telsa support, since I can not trust charging the 3 at any J1772 charging station.

Please report back what they say! There is a good chance Tesla can come up with a fix or workaround that can be deployed over the air for everyone!

Friend with m3 came over and tested my Siemens evse. Didn't work but the workaround did work. Pause before plugging it into the car, wait 10 seconds and unpause to start. Charged successfully for 2 hours before unplugging.

Got my own m3 home delivered today. build date 10/18, vin 115xxx, v9 firmware. First try with Siemens charging worked with no trickery.

Got my own m3 home delivered today. build date 10/18, vin 115xxx, v9 firmware. First try with Siemens charging worked with no trickery.

Cool. Hopefully it keeps working for you!

I did have Tesla get back to me on the Bug report and analyzed it and even had me make some additional videos. I even pointed them to this thread and the Plug Share location with others reporting. Basically what everyone thought...

Thanks for the threads below, EVSE is a protocol to help keep you and your electric car safe while charging.

If the Siemens chargers are not meeting these protocol's standards then our firmware is designed to inhibit charging to protect your vehicle.

We are researching whether or not we should expand the field of tolerance from the firmware side or not. We have communications with most major 3rd party EV charging station manufacturers. Unfortunately this isn't something that may be resolved as quickly as we would all like, I appreciate your patience with us as we work our way through this.