Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Couldn't Charge From Siemens EVSE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My dad has a Siemens E348556, 30A wall mounted EVSE, with a J-1772 connector. He uses it to successfully charge his Nissan Leaf daily. I brought my M3 over for the first time and tried to charge using the Tesla provided adapter. I've used the adapter successfully elsewhere, but it didn't work. The Tesla was reporting it was trying to pull 30A ... it should have been 24A if the EVSE was reporting itself correctly, right? The car would ramp up charging and the EVSE would fail after it got over 24A and try again.

I wasn't able to test lowering the amperage draw because it was late and I just plugged in the mobile connector instead. But wondering if anyone else has experienced this with a Siemens unit or the J1772 adapter.

Did you reduce/set the current to 24 amps in your tesla dash and check if the charger was able to charge ?
I switched the mobile connector before a thorough test. But I'm curious which parry (car or EVSE) is responsible for doing the 80% calculation (i.e. a 30A circuit can only provide 24A continuous), and why it didn't happen correctly in this case.

Siemens EVSEs have had some compatibility problems in the past with Model 3 cars...

Reactions: B5Bob
Siemens EVSEs have had some compatibility problems in the past with Model 3 cars...

Thanks. I figured it would have come up before if it wasn't user error.