Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Signature Red P85 Model S in Michigan $46,000 (gauging interest)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm seriously considering selling my Signature Red P85 to make room in my garage for an impending Model 3. Judging relative values against the current used cars Tesla has on their site, I think $46,000 is on the low side considering the specs and "heritage" of this car. Please comment if you have something helpful to add. (Simply saying "too expensive" or "you suck" isn't helpful.) Thanks! I included a few photos I had easily available to me, but I realize these aren't the best. The gas pump one is supposed to be funny.

Quick Specs
  • 2012 P85 Signature series high performance Model S
  • Limited edition Signature Red multicoat paint (more like a black cherry than an M&M)
  • 85 kWh battery rated for 265 miles
  • Rear wheel drive
  • 87,000 odometer miles (see "New parts" section below though)
  • Still under full warranty
Options when new
  • High performance motor for 470 horsepower and 0-60 time of 4.2 seconds
  • Tech Package (navigation, power liftgate, auto-tinting mirrors, heated seats, power adjustable front seats with driver profiles, etc.)
  • Air suspension with GPS settings
  • Premium sound system
  • Dual chargers for up to 80 amps (20 kW) charging at home
  • Panoramic sunroof
  • 19" standard Tesla wheels
  • Black and red leather/suede seats
  • Carbon fiber dash decor
  • White Alcantara headliner
  • Factory-applied clear vinyl paint protection
  • Carbon fiber spoiler
New parts replaced in the past several years
  • Battery pack at 44,000 miles (new revision D battery pack for full speed supercharging)
  • Drive unit (motor and inverter) at about 70,000 miles
  • 12v battery
  • Side mirrors
  • MCU (center touchscreen computer)
  • Upper leather dashboard
  • Door handles (exterior)
  • Driver window motor and wiring harness
  • Rear view mirror
  • Tail lights
  • Wheels
  • UMC (charge cable)
Condition
  • Exterior has no dents, door dings, or scratches. The factory-applied vinyl paint protection on the hood has some pock marks, so I'll likely remove it soon to reveal the nearly perfect paint underneath
  • Windshield has two chips on passenger side, but no cracks
  • No curb rash on the summer Tesla wheels; two of the aftermarket winter wheels are moderately scratched
  • Summer tires: Rear are nearly new, front are mostly worn
  • Winter tires: All look exceptional with under 10k miles on them
  • Interior is in good shape with minimal leather wear and nothing is broken
Notable
  • This is the very first Model S ever registered in Michigan, back in October 2012
  • VIN in low 500s
  • Retrofit parking sensors made and installed by Tesla ($6000 upgrade)
  • Retrofit center console made and installed by Tesla ($1500 upgrade)
  • Opticoat paint protection (~$1000)
  • Winter wheels/tires (~$1000)
  • Front and rear trunk rubber mats ($150)
  • Frunk "cooler" storage box ($125)
  • Full warranty has 7500 miles remaining, or two years
  • Drive train warranty has unlimited miles and 2 years remaining
  • Car was $107,000 when new in 2012
IMG_0532.JPG IMG_8220.JPG IMG_8595.jpg

Last edited:
Someone asked me what my 2012 SigRed MS would be on the market right now and I thought high $40s. Mine has about half your mileage and still has the A battery pack. So with your upgrades and new pack, I would say you are spot on from my vantage point. But of course, the people have the final say. Nice car! GLWS!

Thanks for all the helpful feedback. Between your comments and my own research I think $48,000 is a good price. I listed the car tonight on Autotrader.com (I sort of hate their site!) and will see what happens. Haggling is something I'm never comfortable with so I priced it at $48,500 to build in a cushion to make it easier.

Damn. It's real now. I'm already starting to miss my car!

It may be pointless to keep posting to this thread but I wanted to mention that this car has now been upgraded to the second generation tire pressure monitoring system, including fresh sensors in all 8 wheels (summer and winter). Now instead of showing just that a tire is low, I can see an exact tire pressure for each wheel displayed on the binnacle as in the newer cars. This work was done by Tesla itself using Tesla-made parts. Even with all the upgrades I've mentioned in this thread, the only thing in the car that's not actually Tesla-made is the set of winter wheels. Everything else from the retrofit center console, retrofit parking sensors right to the frunk "cooler" are actual Tesla parts.

• Informative
Reactions: kwjayhawk
GLWS!
Lots of people looking for a good MS and this one looks like all the key problem areas have been addressed.
Battery pack, DU, UMC and door handles all updated, basically a car half its actual age. The buyer will be very happy!

Hi Electric Joe,

I was in line on 03/31 at 5am in Arizona to put in my deposit on a Model 3 - i was # 42 in line that morning & put down deposits for 2

1st delivery estimate was Nov-Jan 18
then after production hell - Dec-Feb 18
after the 02/07 loss report - Mar-May 18

its getting old and exhausting, so i decided to start looking for a used MS as i was a big fan back when the MS was just a sketch & now the used ones are in a price range i can manage

i am currently looking at a 2012 signature (43k) that the current owner says nothing has been replaced on his car except the on board charger & that everything has & still works perfectly

isn't it odd that nothing has had a problem yet? i am a little concerned about things i have read about door handles, touch screen etc needing to be replaced - which i am sure is not cheap if its not covered by a warranty & i drive 28-30k a year

so i noticed in your

notable section
what do you mean by full warranty?

thx for your reply

have you taken yours in to Tesla to see what they would buy it for?

isn't it odd that nothing has had a problem yet?

so i noticed in your notable section
what do you mean by full warranty?

have you taken yours in to Tesla to see what they would buy it for?

Hi, Frank. It seems odd to me that anyone driving a Signature Model S would have had essentially no issues over the years, especially at first. I wouldn’t call someone a liar, but it does seem strange to me considering all I’ve read.

I bought my car as a CPO from Tesla and they added a 50,000 full warranty onto it, so now the full warranty ends at 94,100 miles. And that’s about 7,000 miles away. It isn’t much but is enough to let you be sure you won’t buy it and be screwed by some undisclosed problem. Since all of the expensive parts have been replaced and upgraded in recent years, I don’t expect any serious problems anyway.

I got a verbal trade in quote from Tesla: $24k. No way. If I can’t get close to my asking price I’ll just keep it. It’s an awesome car, as you probably know!

Reactions: Olds442
We recently bought our third Signature, this one a Canadian CPO, for about $53.000 U.S. equivalent. It does not have the parking sensor upgrade but does have an additional 80K B2B warranty added -- otherwise identical. (In large part we paid a premium because the Signature red is rarely available in Canada.) At any rate, your price seems like a very good deal for a buyer, and I wish you the best of luck with the sale.

BTW, you stole my gas pump joke!