Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Signature Wall Charger Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is the same charger for sale at Tesla.com as the High Powered Wall Charger (it just has a different, limited edition, front plate). You can connect it to a 100 amp circuit to enjoy the full charging capability (80 amps), but it is not required. Some people connect to a 50 amp circuit and charge at 40 amps.

The wall connector has a dial inside that you set based on the size of the circuit breaker and the wire gauge/length. It can be set to a wide range of amps. I have mine set up with a 50 amp breaker (40 amp charging). I believe the maximum is 100 amp breaker (80 amp charging), but I could be wrong. Does that answer your question?

The maximum output current of the Tesla HPWC is 80A. An 80A installation would require a 100A breaker and wiring to support that current. However, the older Tesla's have either one onboard charger capable of 40A max or dual chargers capable of 80A max. Newer Tesla's have a single on-board charger capable of 72A max. If you are charging at a maximum of 72A, the HPWC would only require a 90A breaker and the appropriate wiring to support that current.

The maximum output current of the Tesla HPWC is 80A. An 80A installation would require a 100A breaker and wiring to support that current. However, the older Tesla's have either one onboard charger capable of 40A max or dual chargers capable of 80A max. Newer Tesla's have a single on-board charger capable of 72A max. If you are charging at a maximum of 72A, the HPWC would only require a 90A breaker and the appropriate wiring to support that current.
They actually only have a 72 Amp charger if it's a 100 kWh battery pack (if recent car) or an older one where you upgraded the charger. All current smaller battery packs have the 48 Amp charger and can't normally be upgraded unless you find a Service Center that has the part. The upgrade option doesn't exist on the website.

The other reason to install a 100 Amp circuit (set HPWC to 80 Amps) is to run two HPWCs for charging two cars (each one could get 40 Amps or so based on what its battery needs (load sharing/balancing).

See the FAQ in my sig for more info!