TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Signatures, profiles and post count

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by brianman, Jan 1, 2013.

1. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

#1 brianman, Jan 1, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
    Since there's apparently a minimum post count required to have a signature and/or edit some profile fields, new members are regularly asking how they can get a signature and/or edit those profile fields.

Suggestion 1: Change the display logic to use the same post count minimums.
    Result: People will be able to see the new shiny stuff once they can actually set their own.
    Intent: Avoid repetitive posts asking how to set something that can't yet be set.

Suggestion 2: Enable the buttons for these settings regardless of post count. When member attempts to submit a change, reply with a helpful message explaining to the user why it can't be done yet.
    Result: Educates new members on the post count requirements.
    Intent: Avoid repetitive posts asking why user can't reach various settings.

Suggestion 3: Remove post count minimums for enabling profile and signature settings.
    Result: Avoids pollution posts that are written purely to reach the minimum post count.
    Intent: Simpler forum with less wasted posts to inflate minimums, educate people on the minimums, etc.

2. yoda

yoda Member

3. Ravarju

Ravarju Member

Ditto - and yes this is a pollution post...

4. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

The post count minimum is helpful in weeding out the spammers. All new member posts go into the moderation queue, requiring a mod to look at the post and approve/not approve for publication.

We see a lot of spam. You don't. You're welcome. :)

5. GSP

GSP Member

Thanks! Much appreciated.

GSP

6. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I'm confused how this relates to enabling / disabling signature and profile features.

7. bonnie

One of your suggestions was to remove the post count minimum.

Really, a few posts is not too high of a bar for people to meet.

8. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I guess I should have been more specific. For the third suggestion, I meant the minimums w/r/t profile and signature options NOT w/r/t moderation to counter spamming, etc.

I'll update the OP to be more crisp.

9. yoda

yoda Member

True, but some avid lurkers actually keep pollution down, when they have nothing useful to add.

10. bonnie

That wasn't about lurkers ... to clarify, I meant 'a few posts is not too high of a bar for people to meet in order to not have posts reviewed by a moderator prior to publication'.

Lurkers are all welcome. I was one for months. :)

11. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

@bonnie - Pls reread OP with red clarification. Any objection to proposal 3 now?

12. bonnie

I don't have objections to any suggestions. I have no doubt that doug has seen the feedback and will consider it for The List Of Things To Be Thought About In Spare Time. (It's a pretty long list.)

13. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

Thanks for the suggestions. As Bonnie suggested, most of those policies are in place to deal with the different types of spam we get. It's a tough balance. Will revisit when I get a chance.

14. EmeraldSkye

EmeraldSkye Hopeful future MX owner

Just curious - how does preventing a forum member from adding and avatar or profile pic cut down on spammers?

15. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

There were some where the avatar image would be an ad or something offensive.

16. EmeraldSkye

EmeraldSkye Hopeful future MX owner

Ok. If I tell you that my husband has been active on the forum for a while, has a new Model S, and you want to verify it with him, could I get this opened for me? I already ordered my X plates and would like to use that image. I'm still in reading and learning mode for the most part.

17. mark

mark Member

What is the post count to enable these features? I don't have them despite owning a 2012 Model S and reading TMC regularly for over a year.

18. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

<57. Click on "Settings" (top right corner of this screen) and then use the menu in the left hand column.

19. mark

mark Member

Thanks - was looking for it under "my profile".

20. Paul Carter

Paul Carter Active Member

What about turning it on for supporting members? I'm also still in reading / catchup mode since joining a few months ago and don't want to unnecessarily post. However, I too would like to be able to have a signature and avatar.