TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Simple Scratch Repair Advice

Discussion in 'Hong Kong' started by Warenpeace, Dec 3, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Warenpeace

Warenpeace New Member

Hi,

Have a few small scratches on the front right of my Model S, any advice on how to do this repair myself? To remove the red and black paint caused by the scratch, I was thinking of using gasoline which is a trick I learned from the Queensway repair shop.

There is also an area where the original white paint has been scratched off, only a few millimeters of white is missing, could I use something like white nail polish to do a quick and dirty repair?

Thanks, photo attached.

Attached Files:

2. AZ Desert Driver

AZ Desert Driver Rare combination

I had a similar "scratch " on my rear bumper - cost my insurance company $8,000 to fix properly.
    I suppose nail polish would mask the scratch for a little while, but using the right quality and color of paint would be better.
    You have more than a scratch, you have a dent. Paint aint gonna fix that. You can dampen the look by scrubbing off the red using an abrasive sponge and then covering it with paint. But it will look like a cheapo job. If that's the look you want, go for it.
    As to using gasoline - it is a fair solvent for oil based smudges. For your paint scratches on aluminum - I would not expect it to be very effective. Add in the fumes, fire potential and general health issues - not a solvent that would solicit any responsible recommendation.
    Maybe the best thing is to drive with the scratch as-is. Your solutions seem like more damage.

3. T.E.S.L.A

T.E.S.L.A Member

Use some Brasso metal polish and a microfibre or other cloth. Buff it by hand with a bit of force in a circular motion with the force of 2 fingers with a good amount of Brasso on the cloth until all the "other paint" is gone. Buff it off with a clean part of the cloth. All of the other colour paint and fine scratches will be gone.

As for the bottom section where your own white paint is gone, just get some plain white gloss touch-up paint from any car shop (the pen-type touch-up paint with a small paint brush provided inside the pen.) Be sure to clean it properly with alcohol before applying the touch-up paint. Use only a small amount of paint, just enough to fill in the black deep scratches where your own paint is missing.

This process does absolute wonders and it will probably be almost completely unnoticeable when you're done.

• Helpful x 1
  4. Warenpeace

Warenpeace New Member

Well, a year later and I still have this scratch....but only for the next week. I found a local e-commerce provider who provides touch up paint for all makes and models - website a little lacking in English but I managed to figure it out with help from Google. Check them out - Quik Touch 補油工房