Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Single Cast Production - What does this mean for repairs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry if i missed it but does anyone know what the single cast production of the Model Y and the Cybertruck for that matter will mean for repairs? If I damaged a left rear quarter panel does it really mean the whole left side needs to be replaced, repainted, reinstalled? Aside from manufacturing efficincies and costs savings, does the end user see any benefit?

Usually body shop will cut out any damaged parts that cannot be straightened on their hydraulic frame straightener. Weld in a new replacement piece.

Over time, body shops will develop techniques to deal with most any new manufacturing method.

It used to be a very specialized shop to effect aluminum repairs. Now it is common for most shops to handle.

I don’t believe they went with the rumored single large casting yet, rather just combined a lot of discrete parts into 4-5 castings. I don’t think anybody really knows yet.

The Cybertruck is an exoskeleton design, very different, and next to nothing known regarding construction beyond that at this point. It sounds like it would be very easy to repair, and rather hard to damage.

Rear quarter panels are currently part of the frame on the M3, and need to be cut out, an new piece welded in. Costly work.