Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SIRI Eyes Free

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla customers are clearly "early adopters." This also fits with most Apple customers (at least the core Apple customers who were buying apple products pre-iPhone). In any case, I would bet that a survey of TMC would show that Model S buyers use iOS much more than Android. Anyone want to set up that survey? (or has it been done?)

On a bluetooth headset, you can hold down the pickup/hangup button to a get a phone's attention. On the iPhone this results in activating Siri. I don't understand why a car company needs to be involved in the Siri 'Eyes Free' program. All they have to do is make it so that if you hold down the "phone button", it performs the same as a bluetooth headset. In the case of the Model S, I guess you would have to use some other system, since the Voice Button is normally held down to issue voice commands. Maybe double clicking the Voice Button could perform this action? In any case, it seems that this should be an easy feature. It would also have the added benefit of working with other phones, whose attention is invoked the same way.

The press release also mentioned that the phone would not light up when Siri was activated (to prevent distractions). Maybe this needs some kind of special Bluetooth protocol, but I could live without this feature - just emulate a bluetooth headset.

I also wanted to point out that you can use a poor man's approach to activating Siri. You can add a bluetooth remote, such as the Satachi Bluetooth Multi-Media Remote. All you need to do is attach it to your steering wheel and then hold down the square (home) button to activate Siri:
2013-01-30 16.34.33.jpg

I know this sounds silly, but it works. I don't drive this way. This is just for illustration purposes and to show how "easy" it would be for Tesla to add this (feature) to the Model S.

Last edited:
On a bluetooth headset, you can hold down the pickup/hangup button to a get a phone's attention. On the iPhone this results in activating Siri. I don't understand why a car company needs to be involved in the Siri 'Eyes Free' program. All they have to do is make it so that if you hold down the "phone button", it performs the same as a bluetooth headset. In the case of the Model S, I guess you would have to use some other system, since the Voice Button is normally held down to issue voice commands. Maybe double clicking the Voice Button could perform this action? In any case, it seems that this should be an easy feature. It would also have the added benefit of working with other phones, whose attention is invoked the same way.

The press release also mentioned that the phone would not light up when Siri was activated (to prevent distractions). Maybe this needs some kind of special Bluetooth protocol, but I could live without this feature - just emulate a bluetooth headset.

I also wanted to point out that you can use a poor man's approach to activating Siri. You can add a bluetooth remote, such as the Satachi Bluetooth Multi-Media Remote. All you need to do is attach it to your steering wheel and then hold down the square (home) button to activate Siri:
View attachment 15491
I know this sounds silly, but it works. I don't drive this way. This is just for illustration purposes and to show how "easy" it would be for Tesla to add this (feature) to the Model S.

Mounting like that could be a danger if the airbag went off.

They already are with the mobile app that doesn't work on Windows Phone.

Yeah this is going to suck.

People at work: "Hey the app is out can you pre-heat/cool your cabin?"
Me: "No. I have a Windows Phone. :frown:"
People at work: "Oh we thought your phone was cool. And we thought your car was cool. Why didn' you buy a versa?"

I am hoping for a web portal in my 'My Tesla' section. Otherwise I am going to have to put Android on my old HD2 and tote around 2 phones all the damn time. Or put the app on my wife's android phone and borrow it all the time.

Tesla writing Win8 apps is EASY! Just do it.

Not to mention WAY better voice commands on it, and Android too, than Siri.

I am not very confident in Tesla providing anything that works with my Lumia 920. I believe it is a mistake, but at least I understand the rationale. What I don't get is why there is no Windows app. It is the easiest platform to develop for and would reach the most owners.

If they start coupling new firmware changes to features on specific phones (like the SIRI eyes free) the functionally is going to feel painfully old fashioned in a couple of years.

I am not very confident in Tesla providing anything that works with my Lumia 920. I believe it is a mistake, but at least I understand the rationale. What I don't get is why there is no Windows app. It is the easiest platform to develop for and would reach the most owners.

If they start coupling new firmware changes to features on specific phones (like the SIRI eyes free) the functionally is going to feel painfully old fashioned in a couple of years.
Hell if they contacted me...

Here, I'll lay it out.

TESLA - If you'll provide us what we need in terms of communication protocol and/or SDK, we'll write (or port) the Windows Phone app for you. Help us help you make our vehicles even better.

Complaining that Windows Phone isn't supported is like complaining that some phone you built in your basement out of used Palm Pilots and a CB radio isn't supported.
Not really. Responses on this forum alone suggest it's got a following.

No one uses Windows Phone.
I guess my hand has 4G and a good microphone and speaker in it, because it sure seems like that's the device I've been using.

Anyway, if I was afraid of investing in an underdog I wouldn't be driving a Tesla.

Last edited:
Not really. Responses on this forum alone suggest it's got a following.

I guess my hand has 4G and a good microphone and speaker in it, because it sure seems like that's the device I've been using.

Anyway, if I was afraid of investing in an underdog I wouldn't be driving a Tesla.

Windows phone is predicted to end 2013 with 3% share of active smartphones. If you want tesla to survive, then you want them to focus on being the most attractive they can to the most people. Supporting a dead platform isn't going to do that for them.

You need a terminology reset. Firstly you say "no one", which is clearly incorrect. Now you say "dead" which is also incorrect, as dead implies ended investment. Losing perhaps, but definitely not dead.

As for predictions, the jury's out on "future facts". Some say Windows PHone 7 / Windows Mobile share will be 19.2% -- surpassing iOS @ 19.0% -- in 2016.
Windows Phone To Top iOS Market Share By 2016, IDC Says - Forbes

I'm not saying I agree or even really evaluated their thinking, but anybody can throw out a prediction but it doesn't make it reality.

Regardless of what you think about the various platforms, there are Tesla customers (including forum members) that would be better served by having a mobile offering that is compatible with their phones.

As for marketshare and Tesla, I'm pretty sure every phone that still connects successfully with a satellite has more market share than Tesla itself.

You need a terminology reset. Firstly you say "no one", which is clearly incorrect. Now you say "dead" which is also incorrect, as dead implies ended investment. Losing perhaps, but definitely not dead.

As for predictions, the jury's out on "future facts". Some say Windows PHone 7 / Windows Mobile share will be 19.2% -- surpassing iOS @ 19.0% -- in 2016.
Windows Phone To Top iOS Market Share By 2016, IDC Says - Forbes

I'm not saying I agree or even really evaluated their thinking, but anybody can throw out a prediction but it doesn't make it reality.

Regardless of what you think about the various platforms, there are Tesla customers (including forum members) that would be better served by having a mobile offering that is compatible with their phones.

As for marketshare and Tesla, I'm pretty sure every phone that still connects successfully with a satellite has more market share than Tesla itself.

You are being pedantic. The fact remains that tesla doesn't even have the engineering resources to get already promised features into the car. If they are going to work on mobile apps they should focus on where the market share unarguably currently is, and where the vast majority of prognosticators (and IDC has a terrible track record - they predicted windows mobile would be the dominant OS by now) says it will continue to be. And that's android and ios.

You are being pedantic.
Only because you're prone to unproductive hyperbole.

To be clear, I never disagreed with this assertion:
The fact remains that tesla doesn't even have the engineering resources to get already promised features into the car. If they are going to work on mobile apps they should focus on where the market share unarguably currently is

My original point (which you quoted, but apparently lost the context of) was here:
SIRI Eyes Free