Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it possible to find a preowned Model S with lifetime free connectivity?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If they are advertising Free Premium Connectivity on an older Tesla, that should be true after you buy that car. It used to be free on earlier model Teslas. It also used to be true with Free Unlimited Supercharging, but Tesla has been successful in buying that feature from some earlier year Teslas from the currrent owners, so it is no longer assured it will transfer.

Do you think the PC is more valuable that FUSC?

Not even close. PC is $99/year.

Two or three decent Supercharging sessions and you’re pretty close to that.

Our Model X has FUSC - in the 3 years since we bought it, we’ve put 8,378kWh of Supercharging into the battery. Even at an average 25 cents/kWh (which is probably a little low), that’s over $2,000 in cost avoidance …. Or 20 years’ worth of PC.

I’d take FUSC every time, and again on Sunday.

Interesting- so it IS a possibility!
Do you think the PC is more valuable that FUSC? I feel like over many years, the PC would cost Tesla a lot more than periodic supercharging.

Premium connectivity is $10 a month or $99 if purchased for a year ($8.25 a month). It would only be worth more than FUSC if one used a supercharger less than $8.25 a month. Most people who are searching out FUSC are doing so with the intention of "free fuel!" and one session at a supercharger is likely to cost more than $8.25 a month.

The actual value of FUSC to people varies, but its definitely worth more than $99 in a year, even if one only uses it Occasionally. Note that I dont have a Tesla with FUSC and they are all older, if I was looking for a vehicle its not a feature I would prioritize, for myself. With that being said, I cant see any world where the value of FUSC is less than the cost of premium connectivity for a year, which is about the same cost as a monthly streaming service subscription, like hulu or disney plus.

Not even close. PC is $99/year.

Two or three decent Supercharging sessions and you’re pretty close to that.

Our Model X has FUSC - in the 3 years since we bought it, we’ve put 8,378kWh of Supercharging into the battery. Even at an average 25 cents/kWh (which is probably a little low), that’s over $2,000 in cost avoidance …. Or 20 years’ worth of PC.

I’d take FUSC every time, and again on Sunday.

Hate to reply to myself but …. 8378kWh translates to over 20,000 miles of travel in the Model X. We only Supercharge when on road trips — so that’s a LOT of cross country driving in 3 years. That includes several trips towing a travel trailer, so our efficiency wasn’t great - most people would do 25,000+ miles for that same kWh.

Owning a Tesla has really turned us into road trippers. With our prior cars - I mean, comfy ones, Cadillacs and Buicks and such - I would’ve done anything possible to fly instead of drive. Now? The calculus is completely different.

FUSC is a nice teaser but even if I had to pay for charging, I’d still road trip. It’s that enjoyable!

I drive mostly less than a full tank of energy per day, and have a home charger and unlimited free supercharging. It costs me about $10 - $12 for an overnight empty to full charge at home at .12 per Kwh. The nearest supercharger is 30 minutes away, so it will take me over 1.5 hours to go there, fill up, and return home with a bit less than a full charge remaining. I'd rather pay the $10 for the convenience and free time gains anyday, and start with my normal "full charge" each day. FUSC means very little to me, and would be of lesser consideration -- nice but not very useful in my situation..

I've seen several Model S listings that adverse "Free Premium Connectivity" but my understanding was that PC was a monthly or annual subscription?
It is possible that like the Free Unlimited Supercharging, some older models have FPC?
I bought my 2014 Model S 60 pre-owned in May 2021 and it has "Free Premium Connectivity". I had to eventually upgrade my MCU to MCU2 to use it once 3G LTE went away, but if you do find a pre-owned Model S with it, it's great to have. Just keep in mind you may have to upgrade your MCU ($1,800 including labor). Free Supercharging and Free Premium Connectivity make having a 165 mile range worthwhile for me. :)