Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SIRI Eyes Free

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ohmslaw, I am going to assume that you are never going to request accessories from third party suppliers because of the Model S' market share, would that be correct? Anyway, I would be concerned if the people who were working on mobile apps were the same ones working on other engineering issues like firmware changes. Software developers tend to be more specialized than that.

You can disagree all you want, but telling others that Tesla shouldn't do what they want doesn't seem to jive very well with the spirit of this forum.

Model S already supports a form of "eyes free Siri". I keep my iPhone in the center trough, cubby or on passenger seat where I can grab it without taking my eyes off the road. When synced with Bluetooth, just grab phone and hold down Home Button. Siri will answer through car's handsfree and you can communicate that way. Model S software 4.2, iPhone 4S, iOS 6.

Just about the only time I use Siri is while I'm driving. In addition to voice dialing, I also use it to send texts (e.g. "tell Mary I'm 5 minutes away") and listen to responses. I would aPrema Wylienything they can do

- - - Updated - - -

Apparently I'm not allowed to edit my own posts. I apologize for the last message - my text expander went nuts. What I was trying to say was:

Just about the only time I use Siri is while I'm driving. In addition to voice dialing, I also use it to send texts (e.g. "tell Mary I'm 5 minutes away") and listen to responses. I would like Siri to be as easy to access as possible.

Only "half" of it! Often you need eyes to look at the screen and view the results or select from a list presented by Siri. Sure I initiate Siri by pressing the iPhone button and talking/listening thru blutooth but I sure am wanting to have the results read to me etc. when the full "eyes free" feature set is implemented.

Model S already supports a form of "eyes free Siri". I keep my iPhone in the center trough, cubby or on passenger seat where I can grab it without taking my eyes off the road. When synced with Bluetooth, just grab phone and hold down Home Button. Siri will answer through car's handsfree and you can communicate that way. Model S software 4.2, iPhone 4S, iOS 6.

Use Bluetooth Headset Profile (HSP) with voice button for Siri eyes-free

All Tesla has to do to implement something like Siri eyes-free is to add functionality to the voice button. For example, if you double tap the voice button (or tap and hold), it activates Siri. This is similar to what bluetooth headsets do when you press a button on them for about 2 seconds. It may not be the full implementation of Siri eye-free, but it would be the equivalent of holding down the home button. This is all part of the Bluetooth Headset Profile (HSP). It would have the added benefit of also working with other cell phones that are activated by holding down a button on a headset.

@araxara - that would be an excellent solution. Mean time I use siri as described above by pressing the button on my iPhone5 and speaking thru bluetooth. I often get a text and just say "siri, read that text" which works well and is quite useful.

Does the same thing happen when you ask Siri for directions? Or if you go into Bluetooth Audio and use the Google Maps app?

I'm deciding whether to get the Tech Package. If it's like my current car, in which Bluetooth Audio plays everything that comes out of my phone, then that's all the navigation I need.

Does the same thing happen when you ask Siri for directions? Or if you go into Bluetooth Audio and use the Google Maps app?

I'm deciding whether to get the Tech Package. If it's like my current car, in which Bluetooth Audio plays everything that comes out of my phone, then that's all the navigation I need.

Michael

It should work for any car with bluetooth connectivity - including Model S without Tech. This worked in my Ford Fusion Hybrid and currently works in the rental Toyota Avalon I'm driving which doesn't have any nav system.....

Aaron

i've used Windows Phone, iPhones, all BB Models, and tons of Androids, nothing comes close to the speed of voice recognition with Google Now, i would much rather have that integrated than Siri, Siri is kind of half baked and near useless.

Windows has nothing, BB has nothing besides regular voice commands (which windows mobile had better functionality with)