Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SiriusXM radio on Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sadly, no. The volume controls work great, but changing channels, I reach over and use the favorites buttons on the display. Elon would shoot me, but I actually really like the favorites buttons :)

bah. probably not worth it for me to upgrade, then, since i'd have to move where i have it mounted.

really the only thing i hate with the onyx being mounted inside the console is how dim the screen is. it's almost impossible to see anything during the day...

Nah. They’re not worth anything really. The bad guys just want something they can sell. Nobody pays for an xm radio.

something else i just thought of (even though i intentionally mounted my radio somewhere i could hide it): stealing one of these would be completely pointless, since you could report it stolen and whoever had stolen / bought it would have no way to activate it.

something else i just thought of (even though i intentionally mounted my radio somewhere i could hide it): stealing one of these would be completely pointless, since you could report it stolen and whoever had stolen / bought it would have no way to activate it.

That’s kinda the beauty of this radio too. It’s a magnetic mount so just pops right off. Unplug that single USB cable, and, done.

In fact I just installed the same mount in my travel trailer .. so I can bring the radio between the two. No sense paying for two subscriptions - I’m either in the car or the RV, never both at the same time. :)

Reactions: crackers8199
Not as I recall, it didn't.

hmm...alright. i'm torn as to whether or not to keep it.

i picked up the roady bt today - the screen still has a horrible glare, which must just be where i have it mounted. it's slightly better, but still hard to see. the info being up on the main screen at least though makes it potentially worth keeping, but not sure it's worth $100 to me. may take it back and wait for it to go on sale at some point.

how exactly did you mount it to the screen like that?

@dmurphy also, are you having to connect it to Bluetooth every single time you get into the car if the radio is powered down? so far it seems like that's the case for me (it always connects to my phone first and then won't switch on its own, I have to do it manually)...if so, that alone is a deal breaker for me.

hmm...alright. i'm torn as to whether or not to keep it.

i picked up the roady bt today - the screen still has a horrible glare, which must just be where i have it mounted. it's slightly better, but still hard to see. the info being up on the main screen at least though makes it potentially worth keeping, but not sure it's worth $100 to me. may take it back and wait for it to go on sale at some point.

how exactly did you mount it to the screen like that?

I know this sounds odd, but I used an Apple TV remote control holder. It's sticky-taped to the Roady XT mount and the back of the Tesla screen. Fit almost perfectly - not sure how else to describe it! Just have to make sure to mount it high enough that the console door clears for the phone charger. It will if you get it right ;-)

I'll do my best to snap a photo of it today from behind the display for you.

@dmurphy also, are you having to connect it to Bluetooth every single time you get into the car if the radio is powered down? so far it seems like that's the case for me (it always connects to my phone first and then won't switch on its own, I have to do it manually)...if so, that alone is a deal breaker for me.
I set the Roady as my primary connection, so it hasn't been an issue. Like you said, you do have to do it manually if the phone connects first. I found that for the most part, the Roady isn't powered down when I get in... especially if I've pre-conditioned the car, I find it's awake and connected when I get in.

It's not a perfect solution, but better than what else I've used to date. And way way better than the SiriusXM interface on our Model X... Tesla should be embarrassed at the poor state of that thing. It's basically a half finished intern's summer project.

I know this sounds odd, but I used an Apple TV remote control holder. It's sticky-taped to the Roady XT mount and the back of the Tesla screen. Fit almost perfectly - not sure how else to describe it! Just have to make sure to mount it high enough that the console door clears for the phone charger. It will if you get it right ;-)

I'll do my best to snap a photo of it today from behind the display for you.

I set the Roady as my primary connection, so it hasn't been an issue. Like you said, you do have to do it manually if the phone connects first. I found that for the most part, the Roady isn't powered down when I get in... especially if I've pre-conditioned the car, I find it's awake and connected when I get in.

It's not a perfect solution, but better than what else I've used to date. And way way better than the SiriusXM interface on our Model X... Tesla should be embarrassed at the poor state of that thing. It's basically a half finished intern's summer project.

ah. that's the issue...I almost never pre condition since it's in the garage all the time. so my phone is always going to connect first before the roady boots up.

that means BT isn't an option for me (not going thru that hassle when I can just leave it connected via FM), so now it's just a question of whether the screen is bright enough for me to keep it. that's disappointing...having the channel info on the main screen was something I was looking forward to.

So ... from the "man I hate using apps on my phone to stream music" department ...

I broke down and bought Yet Another SiriusXM Radio.

This time, I just finished installing the new Roady BT. Finally, I think it's as close to what I want in the Model 3 as I can get.

I mounted the antenna atop the center LATCH cover on the rear shelf. Snaked the wire under the plastic sill trim up front.

Then mounted the Roady BT underneath the display - used a simple flat piece of plastic with VHB tape to mount the Roady BT. Fits perfectly.

Connects to the car as a Bluetooth device, so I have to disconnect my phone. I'm OK with that -- I despise taking calls from the car anyway.

Single wire from the Roady into storage compartment, where the antenna and power plug in together.

This is finally the Bluetooth SXM unit I've been waiting for. The BT dock was a mess - no audio controls from the steering wheel. The Tour360 radio takes forever to wake up, forever to tune stations, and forever to change channels. It doesn't have any favorites buttons either - all touchscreen interface, which ... well, I don't want another of those in the car.

This is pretty much exactly what I wanted. A simple, quick BT radio that has buttons I can press for favorites. Not bad... not bad... I think I can live with this.

This is exactly what I am trying to accomplish. I purchased a Roady BT and tried to connect it to my 2023 Model 3 RWD this evening. In one case, I was able to get the Roady BT to successfully connect and I could hear audio via the Bluetooth source. But this was not persistent after powering things down (turn off Roady an exit vehicle). I've tried to remove/re-add radio, reboot the Tesla computer and I am really struggling to get the Bluetooth to connect.

After many attempts, I did some online searching and came across this thread hoping to find some advice! Of course, there's probably something different with the 2023 Model 3 that is preventing this from working for me. Any advice is appreciated! Thanks.

This is exactly what I am trying to accomplish. I purchased a Roady BT and tried to connect it to my 2023 Model 3 RWD this evening. In one case, I was able to get the Roady BT to successfully connect and I could hear audio via the Bluetooth source. But this was not persistent after powering things down (turn off Roady an exit vehicle). I've tried to remove/re-add radio, reboot the Tesla computer and I am really struggling to get the Bluetooth to connect.

After many attempts, I did some online searching and came across this thread hoping to find some advice! Of course, there's probably something different with the 2023 Model 3 that is preventing this from working for me. Any advice is appreciated! Thanks.

The trick I find is to make sure you click the “priority” button for Roady XT in the Bluetooth menu. That way it reconnects automatically when you get in the vehicle (at the expense of your phone reconnecting.)

I also found a good mount: Foldaway Phone Holder with Grip Mount

The trick I find is to make sure you click the “priority” button for Roady XT in the Bluetooth menu. That way it reconnects automatically when you get in the vehicle (at the expense of your phone reconnecting.)

I also found a good mount: Foldaway Phone Holder with Grip Mount

Thanks for the tips! I will give that a try tomorrow. Did you need to pair the radio in any particular order? I get the PIN to show up on both the car and radio, but it doesn’t want to actually “connect”. It’s being stubborn!

Thanks for the tips! I will give that a try tomorrow. Did you need to pair the radio in any particular order? I get the PIN to show up on both the car and radio, but it doesn’t want to actually “connect”. It’s being stubborn!

No, I didn’t need to do anything particular. It’s been a while though, so I don’t remember whether I initiated from the car or the Roady.