Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SiriusXM radio on Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just bought the 2021 M3.
Had no idea that there was no XM radio.
So I see people have SiriusXM on the phone and stream it thru bluetooth to the car.
Since there is no SiriusXM app, my question is that while I am driving do I control the channel changes thru the phone or on the Tesla screen?
Thanks

I just ordered mine yesterday…. 🙄 unsure why Tesla does not include this in their apps… Looks like I’ll need to Bluetooth it over… Just silly, I’d there a reason or a future update that will bring this to the car?
Tesla wants to be future forward thinking, this kinda steps back… There must be a reason why it’s not included or even for download

There is no XM radio in the car. I was also surprised this week when driving home from delivery looking for the XM radio.
I am nixing (for me) this streaming option because you cannot control the station changes thru the Tesla display or steering wheel functions but rather thru the phone. For me, that defeats the purpose of downloading it. I decided to go with a Premium subscription to Spotify. Really enjoying the music.

Reactions: Mad4sax
There is no XM radio in the car. I was also surprised this week when driving home from delivery looking for the XM radio.
I am nixing (for me) this streaming option because you cannot control the station changes thru the Tesla display or steering wheel functions but rather thru the phone. For me, that defeats the purpose of downloading it. I decided to go with a Premium subscription to Spotify. Really enjoying the music.
I personally love XM… they have a good line-up of great stations.

I guess I’ll just need to play with Bluetooth every time

It does have normal FM/AM right 🧐

• Funny
Reactions: smartypnz
I installed a Tour360 radio in my 3. Connects to the car via Bluetooth. Unfortunately means only the phone OR XM are connected at a time. Not a problem for me since I don’t like talking on the phone in the car anyway.

The Tour360 is clunky but better than nothing, I guess.

Well folks,
I just spoke with a Tesla Representative concerning SirrusXM. I was informed that they have no plans to include the software. They want you to use Slacker Radio for $9.99 monthly which is included in the model 3. Of course, they are not interested in what the customer wants. Every other auto manufacturer is offering SirrusXM on their EV's. I'm guessing Musk doesn't have anyone that can code software, let alone write it.

This is probably one of the only things that annoys me about my upcoming Model 3. It just makes no sense not to include Sirius, it's on pretty much every vehicle, even much cheaper cars.

Are there any good off-line music options which don't include streaming from a phone? Sirius works great even way out in the Colorado mountains, internet and radio not so much

There's a world of other services available by linking my iPhone or Android handset with the car. I'm not confined by what's provided in my Model 3's software load. YMMV, but I find what is provided far exceeds what any other car vendor gives today (e.g. I am willing to 'deal' with Tesla's variances given the overall vehicle's specs). I'm sure there are economic based decisions driving what they're doing or not, just like any other manufacturer 🤷‍♂️

Welcome to TMC forums!

That doesn't sound like a question. In any case here is the link to the search result of SiriusXM threads:

You can reach the same page by typing "SiriusXM" in the search box at the top right of this page and then "enter" to reach the same page if you prefer. It also works with other topics!

I assume the reason why Tesla is not equipped with sirius is probably related to why homelink is now extra: not enough people want it to justify the hardware expense as a default feature.

My favorite offline option is a music library USB drive I keep in the car. That's what I have exclusively used since we can connect an mp3 player to cars (around 2010).

• Love
Reactions: Pkmmte
Welcome to TMC forums!

That doesn't sound like a question. In any case here is the link to the search result of SiriusXM threads:

You can reach the same page by typing "SiriusXM" in the search box at the top right of this page and then "enter" to reach the same page if you prefer. It also works with other topics!

I assume the reason why Tesla is not equipped with sirius is probably related to why homelink is now extra: not enough people want it to justify the hardware expense as a default feature.

My favorite offline option is a music library USB drive I keep in the car. That's what I have exclusively used since we can connect an mp3 player to cars (around 2010).

(moderator note: thread merged with a thread on exact same topic. Posting to explain why your post which points out search results is now located in one of those threads that appear from the search results)

Well folks,
I just spoke with a Tesla Representative concerning SirrusXM. I was informed that they have no plans to include the software. They want you to use Slacker Radio for $9.99 monthly which is included in the model 3. Of course, they are not interested in what the customer wants. Every other auto manufacturer is offering SirrusXM on their EV's. I'm guessing Musk doesn't have anyone that can code software, let alone write it.

So … all I can say is that a Tesla phone rep would have no clue about future changes. They usually hear about things long after we do. So I’m going to hold out a little hope.

Reactions: Pkmmte and sa012
I’ve seen online where people install an aftermarket radio in the center console and wire the antenna to the back of the car. The radio takes the place of an FM station then you use the remote to adjust the SXM radio stations. Is anyone else thinking of doing this? I’m a huge stern fan (ah baba booey to you all) so Sirius is really my only option.

Reactions: Rodney!
I’ve seen online where people install an aftermarket radio in the center console and wire the antenna to the back of the car. The radio takes the place of an FM station then you use the remote to adjust the SXM radio stations. Is anyone else thinking of doing this? I’m a huge stern fan (ah baba booey to you all) so Sirius is really my only option.

That's a idea... but NO WAY I'm doing that in my car... The allure of the car is "Simplistic" and clean... I just see this extra radio as non needed device and to be honest I seen those mods... looks cheap.. Personally my plan is to Bluetooth out my phone and play it through that until Tesla understands people do enjoy XM Radio and creates a App for the car....

I still cannot believe they don't have a app, must be something with licensing or something along those lines that Tesla doesn't want to work with them

Reactions: Jejunjm