Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SiriusXM app on Model S needs an update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

wideglide

Supporting Member
Jul 28, 2023
Palm Coast, FL
The addition of SiriusXM was very nice add to my 2021 Model S. However, Tesla is not maintaining the app. SXM updated channels several months ago and a number of channels changed locations. One example is the Escape channel which I have listened to for years on Channel 69. SXM moved Escape to Channel 149. The Model S still shows the artwork for Escape on channel 69 but it plays the Broadway channel music instead of Escape relaxing music. SiriusXM said it is a Tesla problem. I think so also as do others who have been posting about the problem. I checked the SiriusXM app on my iPhone. It properly reflects the channel change properly. On the Tesla, if you search all music channels, you will not find the new Escape. There is no such channel. The problem is clearly a Tesla software problem and one which should be very easy to fix. Hopefully, if enough of us chime in on the problem, we will get Tesla's attention and get them to listen.

No, I am not related to Stick. We do, however, have the same problem and explain it in similar ways because it is a pretty simple issue which should be easy for Tesla software engineers to fix. I hope more people weigh in on the issue and we get Tesla's attention. I also reported the issue on X @teslasupport

Reactions: DerbyDave
You are so right - the problem is very annoying, yet should be very easy to fix. The challenge is to get Tesla’s attention about the issue. I have not run into album art per se, but the bigger issue, in my opinion, is when the album art is not the correct album for the underlying station. That is the problem @Stick and I have raised.

They don't care.

This has been an issue for years and years.

The SiriusXM app has all of the feel of a summer intern's abandoned project.

Long story short -- there's a file in the car's computer that contains the channel maps.

Pretty much all other SiriusXM clients get that information either via the satellite signal, or via the Internet.

Tesla chose to do their own thing and make it a file in their firmware.

So rather than a dynamic channel mapping as SiriusXM intended, it's completely static....

You'll have to wait for:
a) SiriusXM to update a channel
b) Someone at Tesla to notice
c) Someone at Tesla to update this file
d) Tesla to generate new firmware containing this new file
e) Your car to be eligible for the new firmware
f) Your car to install the new firmware

It seems we usually get stuck somewhere between (a) and (b).

"Seasonal" channels (i.e. Billy Joel, etc.) usually come and go long before the next channel map update.

It's sad, it's nonsensical and the only explanation I can offer is that nobody at Tesla cares to maintain it. I have my suspicions as to why ... and it's most likely related to why we don't see SiriusXM in the "volume" models 3/Y.

Your post, unfortunately, completely explains the situation. I am taking my Model S in for a tire pressure monitoring system fault repair this week and will talk to the service people about the SiriusXM problem. Not in their wheelhouse but perhaps they can escalate.

Reactions: DerbyDave
The interface with any of the music apps/inputs is pretty lame. It took them almost 2 years to fix the favorites issue... and that's still wonky. As stated before, it would help them to at least allow android or apple auto. It would solve a lot of issues for some of us .. but they will never do that. It's their obsession with controlling everything in the car. A 2013 Toyota has a better interface for music.

Well said. The Tesla cars have excellent engineering except for the music apps user interface. SiriusXM contains inaccurate icons/channels and there is no ability to edit and related functions. Come on, Tesla! You can do better on this.

Well said. The Tesla cars have excellent engineering except for the music apps user interface. SiriusXM contains inaccurate icons/channels and there is no ability to edit and related functions. Come on, Tesla! You can do better on this.
Not entirely true.
The new Spotify app refresh for Tesla is bad ass! Love how you can go straight to an artist’s page or album straight from playlist (discover weekly/release radar). Way better than CarPlay Spotify now.

Reactions: wideglide
Not entirely true.
The new Spotify app refresh for Tesla is bad ass! Love how you can go straight to an artist’s page or album straight from playlist (discover weekly/release radar). Way better than CarPlay Spotify now.
Thanks for sharing that. I was not aware. Spotify definitely superior but there are some channels in SiriusXM I like also, and the interface should be better.