Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SiriusXM Volume Scratchy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@crackers8199 have you seen the rebooting issue happen lately? I drove about 12 hours over multiple days this past weekend and didn't see it happen.

now that you mention it, i have not seen it reboot in quite a while (knock on wood). we are going on a road trip next weekend so i will have much more time to test it thoroughly at that point.

although if they've broken the favorites again, that doesn't really give me any faith that this is anything but luck of the draw. i don't understand how they can just release stuff like this without testing it first...there should be automated tests that make sure this stuff isn't breaking like they do seemingly every few weeks. it's madness.

has anyone else updated to 2023.38.6 that can confirm what @PennStateMatt is seeing, or is he just having bad luck? there are times where i saw the issue he's talking about with favorites not sticking, but i've always been able to get it to work again after a reboot or two (or in an extreme case letting it sit overnight powered down). i'm definitely not updating until i know for sure the favorites aren't broken (i'm still on 2023.38.4 and it has been working fine, but the car has .6 ready to install and i keep declining it).

it looks like 2023.38.8 might be the next update after .6.

Last edited:
Yeah no reboots at all for me lately thankfully. Just the favorites issue.. I suppose out of all the issues this one is manageable, just annoying. I’m not sure how the same issues manage to crop back up. It almost seems like they aren’t saving the code that’s fixing these problems in some of the updates. I can’t imagine they’re recreating the issue every time but who knows. I’m hoping eventually they just build SiriusXM app into the car. All the extra channels and no need to fully rely on the tuner. Yes, you can do this with Bluetooth I suppose but I’d rather it be on screen vs the phone.

Reactions: DBV1
Yeah no reboots at all for me lately thankfully. Just the favorites issue.. I suppose out of all the issues this one is manageable, just annoying. I’m not sure how the same issues manage to crop back up. It almost seems like they aren’t saving the code that’s fixing these problems in some of the updates. I can’t imagine they’re recreating the issue every time but who knows. I’m hoping eventually they just build SiriusXM app into the car. All the extra channels and no need to fully rely on the tuner. Yes, you can do this with Bluetooth I suppose but I’d rather it be on screen vs the phone.

no thanks. doesn't work when there's no cell service.

have you been able to get the favorites to stick again or are they still completely gone for you?

no thanks. doesn't work when there's no cell service.

have you been able to get the favorites to stick again or are they still completely gone for you?

I would use both. Use the SXM app when there is service (99% of the time where I am) and use the satellite when there isn't. Bluetooth is my least favorite backup, since I have to interact with the phone to switch stations, but it still is a valid backup.

I would use both. Use the SXM app when there is service (99% of the time where I am) and use the satellite when there isn't. Bluetooth is my least favorite backup, since I have to interact with the phone to switch stations, but it still is a valid backup.

that's fair, but you'd have to have faith in them implementing that correctly. unfortunately, based on the absolute disaster that this media UI is, i have no such faith.

• Funny
Reactions: JayPaul
I usually don’t have an issue with service. Some parts of my drive have tunnels and tree blockage where it would be better anyway. But like you said, Tesla would find a way to screw it up. That’s why I’m ready for it to just open to third party devs. As for my favorites, they did go back to working correctly. It wouldn’t let me re-add them for a couple days, then it decided to work again. Very strange bugs but all is good for now..until next update.

Reactions: crackers8199
I usually don’t have an issue with service. Some parts of my drive have tunnels and tree blockage where it would be better anyway. But like you said, Tesla would find a way to screw it up. That’s why I’m ready for it to just open to third party devs. As for my favorites, they did go back to working correctly. It wouldn’t let me re-add them for a couple days, then it decided to work again. Very strange bugs but all is good for now..until next update.

so they are back to cycling through favorites with the steering wheel button again as well?

@swt2c @PennStateMatt ironically enough, the reboot issue is not 100% fixed. i had it happen to me in basically an infinite loop right after leaving for our road trip...switched to FM for about 20-25 minutes to listen to a few traffic reports and went back, and it was fine after that. no idea what caused it...definitely NOT completely resolved though.

@swt2c @PennStateMatt ironically enough, the reboot issue is not 100% fixed. i had it happen to me in basically an infinite loop right after leaving for our road trip...switched to FM for about 20-25 minutes to listen to a few traffic reports and went back, and it was fine after that. no idea what caused it...definitely NOT completely resolved though.

To your prior post, yep steering wheel is scrolling through favorites again. As far as the reboot, I haven't had the "RADIO ID" resets driving lately. However, I've had a few mornings where SiriusXM is muted until I switch to another input (usually bluetooth) and go back and then it fires up. Kind of annoying but not as bad as the other bugs I suppose.

To your prior post, yep steering wheel is scrolling through favorites again. As far as the reboot, I haven't had the "RADIO ID" resets driving lately. However, I've had a few mornings where SiriusXM is muted until I switch to another input (usually bluetooth) and go back and then it fires up. Kind of annoying but not as bad as the other bugs I suppose.

i have that every so often too, but it's super easy to get out of...just mute and unmute fixes it for me.

today was the first time i've seen the RADIO ID reboot in quite a while. probably 3-4 weeks. i said to my wife when it happened (because it was right after we left the house for a 4+ hour drive) that OF COURSE that would happen today when we needed it most after working perfectly for so long. thankfully after i switched to FM to listen to the traffic reports and then back again, it was fine the rest of the drive. my wife even used spotify a bit while she was driving, and it still went back to SXM fine when we switched back.

Still odd how SiriusXM on Tesla is so bad at picking up album art, at least with the 4 Christmas stations. Sometimes it is blank, other times it shows album art at the last second when song is changing and sometimes it shows album art the whole song. Don’t get. Starting listening on the SiriusXM App on my Carplay solution.

Just wish it worked on native SiriusXM.

And why can’t Tesla make album art bigger? Mammoth screen and on the refresh S a drivers infotainment display (no album art) and on mammoth center screen album art is about 2 inches. Odd.

Still odd how SiriusXM on Tesla is so bad at picking up album art, at least with the 4 Christmas stations. Sometimes it is blank, other times it shows album art at the last second when song is changing and sometimes it shows album art the whole song. Don’t get. Starting listening on the SiriusXM App on my Carplay solution.

Just wish it worked on native SiriusXM.

And why can’t Tesla make album art bigger? Mammoth screen and on the refresh S a drivers infotainment display (no album art) and on mammoth center screen album art is about 2 inches. Odd.

what confuses me is how sometimes it shows the channel icon, and sometimes it shows the actual album art (or even nothing, like you said). i'd love to know what algorithm they have in there to decide when it shows what...

Yep it’s pretty terrible with album art. Thanks for the tip on mute/unmute I’ll have to try it. Funny you mention the RADIO ID issue. I haven’t had any issues in awhile and on my longer drive tonight it must have done it 4-5 times. One of them lasting almost a full minute. So freakin annoying.

Fun while it lasted but I don’t even have a favorites tab now. Tried multiple resets to get it back but no luck. They still all show on the expanded screen but I can’t change them with the steering wheel button. It just goes up or down a channel. 2023.44.30.6

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 21
Fun while it lasted but I don’t even have a favorites tab now. Tried multiple resets to get it back but no luck. They still all show on the expanded screen but I can’t change them with the steering wheel button. It just goes up or down a channel. 2023.44.30.6
My upgrade to that version has really improved SiriusXM. My Favorites and Recents are generally working, and the sound is not as glitchy. I bet yours will get better after a few days of "settling in."