Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sitting during vacation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most people say yes. I was gone for 10 days, and did not leave it plugged in, and only lost a surprising 2%. I woke it up once.

If you won’t need to when you first get home, probably OK to leave it unplugged, but as they say, a plugged in Tesla is a happy Tesla.

I’m leaving for the next 5 days with my truck and trailer. Should I keep the Tesla plugged in while gone or not?

For 5 days it doesnt matter, but teslas answer to this exact question (should I leave the car plugged in while i am gone) is in the manual for the car. The best recommendation would be to plug it in, move the slider down to 50-60 percent, and enjoy your trip.

(currently on page 179 of the tesla model 3 manual that came up when I googled tesla model 3 manual)

=============================================================

Model 3 has one of the most sophisticated battery systems in the world. The most important way to preserve the Battery is to LEAVE YOUR VEHICLE PLUGGED IN when you are not using it. This is particularly important if you are not planning to drive Model 3 for several weeks. When plugged in, Model 3 wakes up when needed to automatically maintain a charge level that maximizes the lifetime of the Battery

============================================================

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_3_owners_manual_north_america_en.pdf

Reactions: bcpm3p
For anything less than 2 weeks I usually leave it unplugged, mainly because I'm paranoid that something goes wrong with the charger and starts a fire. But I also turn off the water, hot water heater, ac, heat, etc. For similar reasons (unless the forecast is close to freezing and then I leave the heat on low)

When my parents left for a weekend to attend my wedding, they came home to their basement flooded from a burst valve... So I've learned by example :)

Reactions: Huskyfan
For anything less than 2 weeks I usually leave it unplugged, mainly because I'm paranoid that something goes wrong with the charger and starts a fire. But I also turn off the water, hot water heater, ac, heat, etc. For similar reasons (unless the forecast is close to freezing and then I leave the heat on low)

When my parents left for a weekend to attend my wedding, they came home to their basement flooded from a burst valve... So I've learned by example :)
Had a good friend with a very large freezer in their garage (like we have). Full of meat, etc. Mostly meat. They went to Hawaii for two weeks. The freezer failed, compressor motor sometime while they were gone. They returned home to the smell of rotting meat; easily a hundred pounds of it. My friend told me he could smell it from the street as they pulled up in their car upon return. I can only think of one more disgusting smell than that (the folks i discovered who had been dead for a week or two while working as a firefighter in downtown Seattle).