Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Size of 3 pin charger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Long story short, I’m booked I. To collect on the 26th according to Leeds despite having no text/info from Tesla or the leasing company at all so I’m still sceptical.

If I had more time to plan, I’d have had a charger set up. If it comes 26th looks like I’ll be using 3 pin plug.

My question is does the wire split anywhere so I could feed it through the letter box? I know I could get an outside 3 pin plug installed but feather than have two lots of work done I’m happy to live with a 3 pin until the charger gets installed

Long story short, I’m booked I. To collect on the 26th according to Leeds despite having no text/info from Tesla or the leasing company at all so I’m still sceptical.

If I had more time to plan, I’d have had a charger set up. If it comes 26th looks like I’ll be using 3 pin plug.

My question is does the wire split anywhere so I could feed it through the letter box? I know I could get an outside 3 pin plug installed but feather than have two lots of work done I’m happy to live with a 3 pin until the charger gets installed
Not sure on the exact dimension but you can't split the cable in a convenient place or fit it through a letterbox. Outdoor socket or through a window will probably be your options

You can put an extension cable through your letter box then plug the UMC into that. It is advisable to rig up a waterproof covering for the UMC and the extension socket because they will not be 100% waterproof. Putting it on a brick (to lift it off the ground) then covering with a large plastic bucket with another brick on top to stabilise it, will work. Clearly you can fashion something more suitable for medium term use. Make sure the extension cable is a decent quality and fully unwound.

Not sure on the exact dimension but you can't split the cable in a convenient place or fit it through a letterbox. Outdoor socket or through a window will probably be your options

You can put an extension cable through your letter box then plug the UMC into that. It is advisable to rig up a waterproof covering for the UMC and the extension socket because they will not be 100% waterproof. Putting it on a brick (to lift it off the ground) then covering with a large plastic bucket with another brick on top to stabilise it, will work. Clearly you can fashion something more suitable for medium term use. Make sure the extension cable is a decent quality and fully unwound.

cheers guys. I’ve found a waterproof extension from screwfix for about £20 so I’ll just use that. I’d get an outdoor socket but once the charger is installed it would be redundant

cheers guys. I’ve found a waterproof extension from screwfix for about £20 so I’ll just use that. I’d get an outdoor socket but once the charger is installed it would be redundant

this one? https://www.screwfix.com/p/pro-xt-13a-1-gang-unswitched-extension-lead-10m/4097x don't bother - you won't fit the plug in it (or similar ones) reliably

try 13A weatherproof extension lead (compatible with all EVs) it will do exactly what you want and is far better quality. The weather resistant socket is much better and has recently been redesigned so the 13A plug will not rock out of the socket as the Tesla dongle is very rigid so see-saws over many weather resistent seals.

You're still going to need to cover the UMC itself even if the extension socket is waterproof. Also the plug for the UMC is attached to some thick very stiff cable that will not fit into many standard waterproof covered sockets ... even ones that are installed on a wall.

Reactions: Smog
Perfect. Thanks for that! I take it I’d need the inline RCD too?

I would (definitely if 15m or longer) - and the little 3 pin test plug. Its such a good cable you will want to keep it in your car for other times and you may not be sure on the electrics that you are plugging in to.

I'm just not 100% if you can post it through a letter box.

I would (definitely if 15m or longer) - and the little 3 pin test plug. Its such a good cable you will want to keep it in your car for other times and you may not be sure on the electrics that you are plugging in to.

I'm just not 100% if you can post it through a letter box.
It’s less than 2 metres to the socket in the house. If all this fails the Lidl at the top of the road will see me every other day for a charge until I can get booked in for my charger

• Funny
Reactions: Blueskye
I am in a similar dilemma. Due to a paperwork f**k-up in the registration of my electrician with OLEV they're unable to fit the specific charger I was after as they're not properly listed as being approved for it, despite being on the vendor's website!

I'm now planning to temporarily rig up a 16A commando for the job, with an IP67 external socket on the existing cabling. Electrician quoted £70 to come and certify that, but frankly it hardly seems worth the expense for 4-6 weeks while they re-file their OLEV registration.

Last edited:
I am in a similar dilemma. Due to a paperwork f**k-up in the registration of my electrician with OLEV they're unable to fit the specific charger I was after as they're not properly listed as being approved for it, despite being on the vendor's website!

I'm now planning to temporarily rig up a 16A commando for the job, with an IP67 external socket on the existing cabling. Electrician quoted £70 to come and certify that, but frankly it hardly seems worth the expense for 4-6 weeks while they re-file their OLEV registration.

I believe the recent delivered cars don't come with the 16A commando attachment for the UMC so if that's the case you'll need to buy one of those too. I used a DIY 16A socket for a few days before my charge point was fitted and it was a very handy option. Usefully quicker than the "13amp" plug adapter because that one only allows charges at 10A for safety reasons.

+1 for the Tough Leads recommendation.

I am using a 15m extension from them with the in line RCD and it is working great.

I think you will be able to push the 3 pin end through the letterbox... But if you email them they are very responsive and can likely confirm the dimensions (as letterbox sizes do vary!)

I only have 2 months to wait before my charger gets installed!

I believe the recent delivered cars don't come with the 16A commando attachment for the UMC so if that's the case you'll need to buy one of those too. I used a DIY 16A socket for a few days before my charge point was fitted and it was a very handy option. Usefully quicker than the "13amp" plug adapter because that one only allows charges at 10A for safety reasons.
Thanks, I've got a price from Tesla for the adapter just waiting to find out how I can collect it from Heathrow along with the car. Really don't want to pay their £8 shipping fee!

just waiting to find out how I can collect it from Heathrow along with the car

Parts is in the building across the road, to the right of handover-warehouse. No telling that they will have one in stock (dunno if you can reserve one?) but there is at least the opportunity to grab various bits if you need them (key fob, right-angle-phone cable or wireless phone charger, adaptors for UMC (16 or 32 AMP Commando, or "foreign stuff") and, if they have them, the hooks that go in Frunk to anchor the shopping (they are only a quid or two, no idea why they removed them from "standard")

Thanks, I've got a price from Tesla for the adapter just waiting to find out how I can collect it from Heathrow along with the car. Really don't want to pay their £8 shipping fee!

When I picked up my car from Edinburgh SC I asked to pick up the 32amp commando adapter at the same time (£32). At that time you got the 16amp with the car in addition to the 13amp plug ... I just wanted to cover all the bases!