Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sketchy FSD situation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking at an used tesla. 2017. Dealer says FSD is included, but the previous owner said when he had it, it wasn't active. Anything I can check on a test drive to make sure everything checks out? Any other suggestions beside FSD of things to look at that are common issues?
Screenshot_20240424-201344_Chrome.jpg

Would I be able to start an update and then come back the next day to check It? I had asked the dealer previously if they would do an update and they said no.
That screen indicates that it has FSD fully paid.

You don't need the latest firmware to check on the "Autopilot" menu that should allow you to set options more than just Autopilot such as "FSD".

The issue is that FSD might disappear after a change of ownership: Previous owner could have given up FSD in exchange for an incentive but the deactivation might get delayed until it's in your hand.

Upvote 0
That screen indicates that it has FSD fully paid.

You don't need the latest firmware to check on the "Autopilot" menu that should allow you to set options more than just Autopilot such as "FSD".

The issue is that FSD might disappear after a change of ownership: Previous owner could have given up FSD in exchange for an incentive but the deactivation might get delayed until it's in your hand.
What on this screen am I looking for to check autopilot vs FSD?
Screenshot_20240424-211111_Chrome.jpg

Upvote 0
It looks like it has MCU1 based on software version 2022.8.10

It does also show it has the full paid FSD capability upgrade.

It also does show that it has “Full Self-Driving Computer” which should mean it has the HW3 Autopilot computer upgrade.

However, MCU1 cars have not been able to get FSD beta software yet. Will it ever come to MCU1? Who knows, but doesn’t seem likely at this point. You will likely have to pay to upgrade the infotainment computer to MCU2 if you want FSD beta.

Upvote 0
It looks like it has MCU1 based on software version 2022.8.10

It does also show it has the full paid FSD capability upgrade.

It also does show that it has “Full Self-Driving Computer” which should mean it has the HW3 Autopilot computer upgrade.

However, MCU1 cars have not been able to get FSD beta software yet. Will it ever come to MCU1? Who knows, but doesn’t seem likely at this point. You will likely have to pay to upgrade the infotainment computer to MCU2 if you want FSD beta.

The first line says the car is already enrolled in FSD beta waiting list.

I don't think MCU1 can do that.

You need MCU2 to get on the FSD beta list.

The Request button would check your hardware eligibility and would not allow obsolete hardware. The Request button would advise you to update your hardware to get eligiblity.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The first line says the car is already enrolled in FSD beta waiting list.

I don't think MCU1 can do that.

You need MCU2 to get on the FSD beta list.
MCU1 had the request button to join the queue but very very very few people actually got the FSD beta software download on MCU1. This was back when FSD beta was only given to a very limited number of people with satisfactory safety scores. And shortly after that they seem to have stopped updating it for MCU1 completely.

Reactions: gsmith123
Upvote 0