Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Skid Plate for the Y

N1L CO2

Jul 10, 2020
OC, CA
Not sure if anyone else in SoCal is heading up to the mountains for some r & r in the snow but I wanted to share an experience. I went over a pile of snow on the side of the road to avoid another nasty pile in the middle of the road and damaged the belly pan. There were some sharp rocks under the snow I did not see. I didn't want to replace it with the same flimsy plastic piece that's prone to damage down the road. I was lucky to find this.

MPP Model Y/3 "Smash Me" Front Skid Plate | Mountain Pass Performance

Going to put it on this weekend and update the thread. Should take me but 30 min, once I roll the car up on rhino ramps.

Mike_TV

Apr 29, 2020
Chicagoland
Looks good and has me thinking the same thing as I saw someone on another site that hit a large rock and damaged the battery pack to the point where the coolant was leaking out. That's an $18,000 or more repair bill.

mark95476

Jun 21, 2020
Bay Area CA
It looks this plate only protects the drivetrain, brake, and suspension bits. Very worthwhile, but we'll need a longer plate to cover the actual battery pack.

The mountains where I drive are crumbling and regularly deposit rocks on the roads so this aftermarket plate is very applicable.

Looks good and has me thinking the same thing as I saw someone on another site that hit a large rock and damaged the battery pack to the point where the coolant was leaking out. That's an $18,000 or more repair bill.

N1L CO2

Jul 10, 2020
OC, CA
Update on the install?
WhenI looked closely, it seems that the front valance was also scuffed and bent/warped out shape in the incident so I decided to order a new one. Picking it up next week along with some new screws. In the meantime, I didn't care for the shiny aluminum finish (at least not on the outside) so I took a rattle can of Rust-Oleum truck bed-liner and refinished it. It came out great! All ready to be installed next weekend (fingers crossed that valance arrives on time).

IMG_2944.jpeg

Reactions: Y_NOT and EchoDelta

N1L CO2

Jul 10, 2020
OC, CA
Finally had a couple of hours today to get this done. Fitment is awesome and that bedliner spray looks great to match other panels in the belly of the beast. I say a couple of hours because I changed out the front valance plastic piece too which took the bulk of the time. The actual skid plate literally took 20 min.

IMG_2963.jpeg

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC