Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Skipping/Chattering wipers.. Tried and true remedy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I do think my blades were contaminated by either the ceramic coating or AquaPel, or other. I doubt the AquaPel as I have used it on many cars and no issues. Perhaps I had a bad mix with the last batch I bought, but again, no issues with it on the 2020 Outback XT Limited. Re BonAmi, you must not use any version other than the “1886” original formula as it can scratch the glass. Current formulations says on the can, not for glass or mirrors. “1886” says on can it’s safe for glass and mirrors. Went with OEM knockoffs on Amazon as they were half the price and I didn’t want to trek to the SC in traffic. They are really good blades and are exactly identical to OEM ones. Re Groits polish.... wouldn’t by that again... YMMV.

Did you put AqualPel back on?

Reactions: jebinc
Did you put AqualPel back on?
Not yet.... I first wanted to see how all worked in a "virgin" state. With this Tesla design, I just might leave it as is - we are in the "rainy season" here in Seattle and I don't want to screw up the good thing I have going right now. The 2020 Outback has Aquapel and no issues, so I will continue to use AquaPel there and on our other vehicles.

Reactions: mswlogo
From day one, I've had chattering/skipping wipers - which has now become a real PITA as the daily rains have returned to Seattle... When the problem first appeared, I tried several fixes, to no avail. Cleaned with 91% isopropyl alcohol, window cleaner, etc. Cleaned the blades as well. Tried AqualPel (which I use successfully on my other cars), etc. Currently, still using the OEM blades that came with the car (June build), and the windshield remains treated with AquaPel. Any suggestions? If recommending new blades, please be specific as to what blades you are recommending, and if they are direct replacements to the OEM blades. I'm trying to avoid having to take a Porter Cable and glass compound/Bon Ami/Bar keepers friend to the windshield, if possible.

P.S. The SC is an hour drive each way, with traffic, so that's my last resort. Also, not interested in using RainX of any sort.
Hello ! Please read the post I put up a few minutes ago. I had the same issue for years. Cerakote is the first windshield kit that has worked for me. Good luck!!

Our 2018 Model S has had chattering wiper blades for months. I've tried Rain-X (original and ceramic), glass stripper, car wax, at least three sets of new blades, bending the arms to make blade perpendicular to the glass, etc. Everything worked at first, but the chattering returned every time. Sometimes very soon. And, they chattered in both directions, which pretty much rules out blade angle as the problem.

I used Glass Stripper, by Invisible Glass (found in Walmart) on a power drill. It stripped the windshield, but left the glass non-slick. I could not move a microfiber towel across it without the towel rolling and bunching up. This told me the wiper blades may be having the same problem.

I then scraped the windshield with a razor blade and plenty of window cleaner for lube. Yes, I cringed at first! The blade was in a holder, and at a shallow angle to the glass. To minimize the chance of creating scratches, I first tested a small area, dried it, then examined it in detail while shining a flashlight through it. No scratches. Also, I made sure to use a brand new, never-used, untouched razor blade on each half of the windshield (one new blade on the driver's side, then another new blade on the passenger's side). This removed most of the friction. The microfiber towel would move across it without rolling. It wasn't slick like a newly-waxed surface, so the towel wouldn't slide down on its own, but the glass had much less friction than before scraping.

The six-month-old wipers were super-cleaned before re-installing, but they still chattered, so they were replaced with Bosch Icon blades at the original 28" and 18" sizes.

It's been 5 days (some of which were rainy). So far, the Bosch Icons are super-smooth and have not chattered once.

I believe something on the glass was creating friction, and the razor blades removed it.

This problem may or may not be solved, because all new blades are very nice at first. However, it's looking real good. If they start chattering again, I'll update this post.