Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sleep Wake and Interior temp protection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a bit confused about how my Model 3 sleeps, wakes, etc. I've done a lot of reading on this, and just can't seem to find anything useful.

What I was finding was that my car was losing about 1 mile per hour while parked. I didn't have sentry on, wasn't using the mobile app or any of that stuff. I was finding that the range loss continued at the same rate even over night when there was no sub to heat the interior, and there was definitely nobody using any Mobile App. I created a TeslaFi account and configured some sleep settings and now the car goes to sleep (typically within 30 mins of TeslaFi sending it the sleep command). It doesn't sleep once it's been woken up when parked in the sun, I guess because the interior heat protection keeps it on. However, once asleep it won't wake up without external stimulation (i.e. opening the mobile App). Today when I woke it up this way after it had been sleeping for 8 hours it showed 113 degrees internally, so clearly internal heat protection doesn't wake it up. Once it's asleep, it won't unlock just by someone with a paired phone walking up to it - it has to be woken with the app (takes a minute or so) or with the keycard (opens immediately).

So, given all that, here are a few questions:

1 - absent any external signal (i.e. TeslaFi sending it a sleep command) will the Tesla sleep, and if so, after what idle time?
2 - am I correct in assuming that internal temp protection will prevent the vehicle from sleeping if it's hot internally, or even at all (absent sleep command)?
3 - is my wake behavior normal?

What I'm trying to figure out is how I can safely leave the car parked in a backpacking trailhead parking lot in full sun (but at high altitude) for 2 weeks without the battery draining.

Sorry if these questions are answered elsewhere, I couldn't find any info on this.

Thanks,

Ian

Search for threads on vampire/phantom drain.

Cabin Overheat Protection only works for 12 hours I think, do you have it set to "off", "no A/C", or "on"?
I believe the car can still sleep (might depend on how close temp is to target??) and then if it wakes up and needs to turn HVAC on, it will then be awake while HVAC is on. I've seen evidence of sleeping in as little as ~10 minutes after exiting car (based on opening app and seeing it say "Waking up...").

For a trailhead parking scenario people would suggest turning everything off you can think of, sentry, alarm, C.O.P, wifi, even people suggesting turning off mobile data sharing.

According to Tesla in such a scenario you should expect 1%/day loss. Checking after 12-24 hours won't give you an accurate estimate of a longer parking stay since there may be higher drains initially due to battery cooling and 12V battery charging more than usual in the first while as opposed to later on in a longer multi-day parking session.