Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sleeping at super chargers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just made a 36 hour trip Texas to Wyoming with the wife. Spent 2 nights at holiday inns express close to the SC for about $100 a night. NicE places and we disinfected the rooms ourselves (Covid concerns). One of the rooms was like it had never been cleaned and the other was impecable. Yeah yeah, less chances to get it from surfaces blah blah, leave me alone in my bubble.
I would opt for sleeping at a res stop or an RV camp rather than a parking lot in a gas station.
The RV place would give you the option to plug in if you have the correct adapter and start your trios with a full battery

I will be making at 20+ hr drive coming up soon. Was going to be with the family, but for various reasons it looks like I will be solo. So instead of getting a hotel I figured I'd just crash at an SC on the way. Who has done this and any suggestions? I'm not talking about just reclining the seat back for 30 minutes, but climbing in the back and laying out on a mattress for 4+ hrs. Really wishing I had tinted the windows now.
I got a divorce and have been living out of my car for 4 months, you are fine to sleep at a charging station/ just be prepared to move if the station is needed, best to find low use chargers that don't have bright lights directly above, just be aware of the neighborhood you are in.
I wouldn't sleep in my tesla south side Chicago but most chargers are in generally safe areas. Lock your doors and put in camp mode if you want a theft de turant put it on your cameras/ tinted windows are great to have.
As an alternative just sleep at a rest area or Walmart parking lot.
Good luck

I will be making at 20+ hr drive coming up soon. Was going to be with the family, but for various reasons it looks like I will be solo. So instead of getting a hotel I figured I'd just crash at an SC on the way. Who has done this and any suggestions?
I've done that a bunch of times. Charge to 120+ miles first (takes 10-15 minutes) then move away from a SC stall and park nearby. Keep the car in the "camping" mode. In the morning, park at a SC stall to get a full charge and then sleep for another hour while the car is charging. After that you're good to go.

I'd look for an RV campground on your route. But I'd definitely try to get something with a 14-50 plug.

Also, the custom fit mattresses seem pretty nice. At some point though you're spending enough money to just stay in a hotel. Many of those have charging options these days too which saves a few bucks.

I'd suggest using a public J1772 or Tesla Destination Charger, or (as others have suggested) a campground or other location with a NEMA 14-50 or other 240v outlet that you can use with your Mobile Connector. Overnight, these should be adequate to fully charge your car, probably even if you're running the climate control (except maybe in the dead of winter in cold climates). Some of these sites, though, might be businesses that wouldn't appreciate you sleeping in your car on their property. A hotel might be understandably vexed at somebody "squatting" at a Level 2 EVSE that's intended to attract paying customers, for instance. I've seen a number of YouTube videos about people "camping" in their Teslas. Bjorn Nyland has posted several such videos.

I'd suggest using a public J1772 or Tesla Destination Charger, or (as others have suggested) a campground or other location with a NEMA 14-50 or other 240v outlet that you can use with your Mobile Connector. Overnight, these should be adequate to fully charge your car, probably even if you're running the climate control (except maybe in the dead of winter in cold climates). Some of these sites, though, might be businesses that wouldn't appreciate you sleeping in your car on their property. A hotel might be understandably vexed at somebody "squatting" at a Level 2 EVSE that's intended to attract paying customers, for instance. I've seen a number of YouTube videos about people "camping" in their Teslas. Bjorn Nyland has posted several such videos.

I stayed at a hotel that had probably 8 EV charging spots. All were empty (not even ICEd!) when I arrived, but when I was leaving in the morning there was another Tesla in one charging with someone sleeping inside.

This behavior does not help encourage hotels to build EV charging. I appreciate people's desire to be frugal. But please don't do it in this way.

I like that the chargers "just work", even if there is a sign that says it's for paying customers only. I don't want them to enforce it through some awkward and inconsistent means in order to deter this behavior, while making it more difficult for those of us who are paying customers.