Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slick Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anybody tried running slicks like drag radials or a street tire like the R888?

I know the car hooks really well because of the exceptional traction control system, but would a slick tire really make a difference?

Also, is there a way to put the car into limp mode and totally disable traction control? Track mode still doesnt allow for full slip off the line.

Misleading title is misleading. There are a few track/race threads scattered throughout the forums. Not sure about the efficiency of a more sticky tire + the computer-driven traction control. The performance variants of the car already can maintain repeated acceleration without losing power from lack of traction. What are you hoping to accomplish?

Stop thinking like a traditional ICE car and drive the car for what it is. Also you're probably not going to get to drift one of these.

Maybe on a RWD 3 the slick might yield a better launch. Of course you would have to get them hot first. On the AWD I don't think they would because the launch does not appear to be traction limited. On a road race course I suspect slicks would be faster due to high braking and cornering loads.

There's been no measurable launch improvement from P3D- cars on MXM4s switching to PS4s tires- so I wouldn't expect one with even stickier tires as obviously even crappy all-seasons provide more traction than the car needs to launch.

Has anybody tried running slicks like drag radials or a street tire like the R888?

I know the car hooks really well because of the exceptional traction control system, but would a slick tire really make a difference?

Also, is there a way to put the car into limp mode and totally disable traction control? Track mode still doesnt allow for full slip off the line.

Yup, check out this epic video of Model 3 at Laguna Seca on slicks:

RE71's are probably the most popular track tire right now for Model 3, but i've seen a few people running R888R as well. It certainly improves overall grip when you go to a larger and stickier tire, you're increasing the overall amount of force that you can transmit through the tire contact patch which means more acceleration/speed. Track Mode is pretty sweet as a traction control system, but it just helps to maximize your usage of the available grip and rotate the car how you want it (plus motor cooling and whatnot)

If you really want to go crazy with no nannies, the best option is to disconnect a wheel speed sensor and it will disable stability/traction control as well as regen and ABS (and maybe a few others, it wont be happy lol)