Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire Recommendations for 19x9.5 wheels street and track no commute

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All,

I hope this isn't inappropriate as I know these tire discussions can get tiresome. I am lost in terms of tires. Once I think I have picked a tire someone says the weight means that one won't last or another doesn't come in the size I am looking for.

I am looking for suggestions for 265/35-19 tires for 19x9.5 rims with stock alignment, control arms, etc. I drive very little on the street. Have an hour drive to the nearest track (Pueblo Motorsports Park). I'm easing into tracking this car so I am not touching camber yet but still looking to run a fairly wide tire that will clear the stock control arms, fenders with 0 camber.

I was pretty set on the Michelin Pilot Cup 2s but I am slightly worried about handling rain on the street. We live in CO Springs and it can rain pretty heavily without warning. I've also heard that they may not wear great under the weight of the Tesla.

The Pilot Sport 4S seem to be a favorite but seems a little too street oriented for me.

Also looked at Goodyear Supercar 3s, Yokohama Advan AD09, Continental Extremecontact Force and a few others.

Thank you!

Going wider without adding camber means you're going to scrub the outside of the tyre down to the cords before you hit the wear markers in the middle. I'm not saying you shouldn't head to the track (because it's great fun!). Just consider a tyre that you don't mind chewing through quickly.

If you plan on racing when it's wet perhaps the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, Conti SportContact 7, Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 6 are the safest bet on stock suspension. They're good in the wet even on the track, they'll see you home safely, and they're going to cost you less. A stiffer track tyre you won't fully utilise at stock camber. They also make a viable option for wet track days even with track camber so they wouldn't be wasted. Good excuse to later add a set of 19"x10.5" with 275 semi slicks for dry days ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Lindenwood
Going wider without adding camber means you're going to scrub the outside of the tyre down to the cords before you hit the wear markers in the middle. I'm not saying you shouldn't head to the track (because it's great fun!). Just consider a tyre that you don't mind chewing through quickly.
I have plenty of track experience and honestly I dislike when people say this. This discourages people from going to the track. Plenty of people run fast lap times with zero camber. You may wear the outside of your tires faster but the way you say makes it sounds like it'll be a problem after two laps. Running camber also runs the issue of wearing your tires on the road so everything is a trade off. I was looking for tire advice for this specific car.

If you plan on racing when it's wet perhaps the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, Conti SportContact 7, Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 6 are the safest bet on stock suspension.
I don't plan on running in the wet. Also, those Goodyears are more expensive than the Michelins right now for some reason. I've read blogs and posts about people liking that tire and one of the main reasons was it's cheaper but right now it's more expensive.

I'd go with Hankook RS4 or Conti EC Force. The size is probably the widest I'd risk on an otherwise stock suspension.
Thanks. I think I decided to try the EC Force. They are reasonably priced and I've been reading good things. Seem to hold up better on the Tesla and and do better in the rain the Pilot Cup 2s. Although the PC2 Connects are supposed to improve on that. I have it on good authority that the 265s won't rub even at the track so we shall see. I know I can't go to 275s until I add camber. Camber is for next year though!

Thinking about the UPP control arms with the adjustable +-2 degrees. I understand you can get an alignment at both settings and mark your adjustments to swap back and forth. Run -1 degrees all the way around for the street and get -3 for the trackdays. I think that will be the ticket.

I have plenty of track experience and honestly I dislike when people say this. This discourages people from going to the track. Plenty of people run fast lap times with zero camber. You may wear the outside of your tires faster but the way you say makes it sounds like it'll be a problem after two laps. Running camber also runs the issue of wearing your tires on the road so everything is a trade off. I was looking for tire advice for this specific car.
Sorry if I caused offense. The above is only my own experience in a Model 3, is what I wish I had done in retrospect, and is in the context of buying wider wheels/tyres for track use. For quantification, I saw significant outer wear on Pilot Sport 4 tyres after two track days. My local track and my driving may not be representative of what others will experience.
I don't plan on running in the wet. Also, those Goodyears are more expensive than the Michelins right now for some reason. I've read blogs and posts about people liking that tire and one of the main reasons was it's cheaper but right now it's more expensive.
Sorry, that's on me. I read your comment about wet street driving on Cup 2s and assumed that meant you were intending to race in the wet too. Also, I'm in Australia and our prices and availability vary a lot. I agree that the Goodyears aren't worth paying more for if that's your local situation.

Last edited:
From what I’ve read you can also do this with MPP UCAs by slipping shims in and out very quickly.
This is what I do; MPP FUCAs, MPP rear camber and toe arms. I can run factory camber on 19"x10" wheels with 275/35R19 tyres, then at the track change to approx 3.6 degrees front and 2.5 degrees rear in just under an hour. Same again to undo the changes at the end of the day. I had both settings aligned and got the shop to count the number of turns of each toe adjuster for me. I've also marked them with different colours of paint pen so I don't drift away from my settings over time.

265/35/19 on a +35 offset rim your good no matter what way you go. 275s on stock suspension can get iffy and can be car/wheel dependant.
With everyone talking about chewing up tires without camber, bear in mind, these cars come with almost no camber. Like -.5 deg if you're lucky. So it's not like other cars in that respect.

And camber (extreme amounts aside) doesn't wear your tires faster, toe does. So you could easily set your front camber to -2deg+ with .05 toe in and never have a normal wear from camber.

-1 to -1.5 of camber will not wear your tires prematurely. Aggressive toe will. Proper camber will give you the traction you need and preserve your tires for aggressive driving. This is especially true for a heavy car like the Tesla.

For a hybrid street/track setup, get 265/35/19 Michelin PS4S and call it a day if you only have one set and don't deal with sub 40 degree weather. Set your factory suspension to the limit in negative camber (you'll likely max out at -1.2 degrees) and toe to spec (I went with zero for easy adjustment on the fly). If you have the funds get MPP camber and toe arms, and you'll be set for whatever you desire on street or track.

Set your factory suspension to the limit in negative camber (you'll likely max out at -1.2 degrees) and toe to spec (I went with zero for easy adjustment on the
I doubt you'd be anywhere close to that doing every trick in the book. I think you'd be lucky to get -0.75deg. That's with loosening every bolt, and getting two guys pushing in on the tops of the rims while tightening everything back down. Remember, there is no factory adjustment for camber.

• Helpful
I doubt you'd be anywhere close to that doing every trick in the book. I think you'd be lucky to get -0.75deg. That's with loosening every bolt, and getting two guys pushing in on the tops of the rims while tightening everything back down. Remember, there is no factory adjustment for camber.
I forgot I got that with lowered suspension. You're right. OP is only going to get -.50 to -.75 degrees.

Stock dampers with MPP FUCA and rear camber and toes arms. -2.5ish front and -2.5ish rear with 0 toes all around
255/40-18 Bridgestone RE71RS on 9.5 wheels. Carbotech pads and SRF fluid.
Car is an absolute blast with this setup. Ran a fastest lap of 101.7 at LRP which is quite quick for a basically stock M3P.
IMG_9409.jpeg

Stock dampers with MPP FUCA and rear camber and toes arms. -2.5ish front and -2.5ish rear with 0 toes all around
255/40-18 Bridgestone RE71RS on 9.5 wheels. Carbotech pads and SRF fluid.
Car is an absolute blast with this setup. Ran a fastest lap of 101.7 at LRP which is quite quick for a basically stock M3P.View attachment 958143
Basically stock after mentioning over $5k in aftermarket parts? Hehe. Sweet setup though. My plan is similar but with redwood Öhlins suspension as well.