Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slight alignment issue from factory?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update... took my car in for service and they did a 4 wheel alignment. Said the steering wheel was slightly off and that the rear toe on both sides was a little off. They claim it is all straight now and that they test drove it but as soon as I got the car back I don’t really notice any difference. It still feels like I’m having to hold the wheel slightly to the left or else the car drifts to the right. Not sure what to do now... probably check tire pressures but that seems like an unlikely cause.
Please post your alignment report.

Please post your alignment report.
3-E779437-BA3-B-497-C-8-F70-EC25529-C1137.jpg

Is it possible for things to be aligned but the steering wheel still not centered? I’m not familiar with how the steering wheel centering is connected to the actual alignment.

Update... took my car in for service and they did a 4 wheel alignment. Said the steering wheel was slightly off and that the rear toe on both sides was a little off. They claim it is all straight now and that they test drove it but as soon as I got the car back I don’t really notice any difference. It still feels like I’m having to hold the wheel slightly to the left or else the car drifts to the right. Not sure what to do now... probably check tire pressures but that seems like an unlikely cause.

A bit disappointing. Another poster mentioned it, but I'll agree and expand: The Model 3 is really "good" at tracking the crowns on the road surface. If you tend to drive towards one side and/or the road is banked at all (they generally are, by design, for water to roll off) then you'll feel a slight pull. Especially deep rain grooves will result in fairly strong pulling.

Mine pulls as well (leftward, so I turn right slightly to correct). I tried to get it aligned locally but the shop doesn't have specs from Tesla yet so couldn't do an alignment!

Is it possible for things to be aligned but the steering wheel still not centered? I’m not familiar with how the steering wheel centering is connected to the actual alignment.

In some cars, yes. In the Model 3, no. A video I saw with the steering wheel off showed that it's a keyed shaft, so it can only go on in one position.

Yes, it is (at least in other cars; I can't speak directly to the M3 other than presuming it is similar to other vehicles in this respect). To greatly oversimplify, imagine a bicycle. Presuming that the front wheel is correctly installed and aligned, it is possible for the handlebars not to be secured in perfectly perpendicular alignment with the forward line of travel of the bike. The bike will travel forward, but the handlebars can be canted to one side or the other.

Cars are similar- the alignment of the steering wheel and the alignment of the actual wheels of the car are separate alignments; there's just more involved than a bolt or two in correcting a misalignment, sometimes.

e: Post #23 was added as I was writing the above. If true, I might just have to put up with an off-center steering wheel, but I'l find out at this week's service appointment. Other than a misaligned steering wheel, my car tracks perfectly.

3-E779437-BA3-B-497-C-8-F70-EC25529-C1137.jpg

They literally only had to adjust the Left Rear toe a touch. The rest of the wheels were within spec, though they did make a small adjustment to the Right Rear. The Fronts got a tiny adjustment but I doubt they make a noticeable difference, the adjustment was so small.

As for your steering wheel, yes, the wheels can be aligned and the steering not centered. They always center my steering first, when it's up on the jig. I've heard some people report the tech forgot to do it. You can always take it back and have them fix the steering centering. 5 mins. Heck adjusting the one wheel would have taken less than 10mins.

Definitely re-check your tire pressures, and how are your roads? Are they all cambered to the right, for drainage, so that you have to apply a little pressure to the left on your steering?

Definitely re-check your tire pressures, and how are your roads? Are they all cambered to the right, for drainage, so that you have to apply a little pressure to the left on your steering?

Tire pressures were all spot-on exactly the same. I have a large dial pressure gauge that I use for autocross and was actually surprised how precise all 4 tire pressures were set from delivery.

I’m sure the roads have some right camber but I feel like it’s not enough to be causing the left trim I’m having to do on the steering wheel. I plan to find a nice flat parking lot tomorrow and will then do some testing in both directions over the exact same pavement. If the car drifts right with the steering wheel centered regardless of the direction on the pavement then I’ll know something is off. If it drifts right in one direction and left in the other direction then it may be related to the road grading.

Anyone know what the milage for alignment warranty would be?? I have 3k and wheel is off center as well

I’m not sure what the official “warranty” is for the alignment but I can tell you that they initially told me they would be charging me $124 for the alignment on my car that was a week old with under 200 miles on it. I had to complain a bit and then they said they would align it just this once as “goodwill”... so... good luck :)

Reactions: KenC