Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slight dent in hood, what to do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve only had my MY a few weeks but just noticed a slight indentation in the hood just to the left of the Tesla logo. On my delivery day, I invited two friends to come help me inspect the car and look for any issues. While I was inside talking to the deliver consultant, I saw that my friends and opened the frunk to inspect the area. When I came out, they said the frunk is broken and they couldn’t get it close. I remembered reading that you have to close the trunk a certain way and place your hands on either side on the Telsa logo to close it. I was able to get it closed just fine that day and have opened and closed it a few times, no issues. So I think the indentation could have occurred when my friends were trying to close the frunk or it was there on delivery day. So my question is, should I just live with it? No one would really notice unless they had a really keen eye for details or rub your hand over the area. How big of a deal would it be for the Tesla body shop to repair? Could I say that I just found the issue and didn’t notice it on delivery day? Let me know your thoughts....thanks

If you or someone can't see it without really looking for it, then I wouldn't care.

I do know body shops can remove dents...and perhaps the Tesla SC can, too. As for what to say to Tesla, I would be honest...based on how you described what your friends did / said to you about the hood, I bet they pushed really card on it and dented it.

When I close mine, I put the palms of both hands to the right and left of the logo and slightly higher than the bottom of the logo (like shown in the owner's manual) but I'm still concerned about denting it because I can feel the aluminum hood flex when I gently close it. I'm also hyper aware if a friend or my g/f opens the frunk...I basically tell them that I'll close it. lol

Mine was dented slightly at delivery and I have photos to prove it, but I included it in my 24hr report.

Honestly, I'm not sure what more they can do besides replace the hood. They could maybe massage the aluminum to get it back to normal, but from what I've heard that's rarely successful.

Thanks for the feedback. Looks my dent is in same spot as yours. Did they replace your hood or did you just decide to live with it?

I noticed my dent when I parked in my home garage after driving home from the pickup. I contacted the delivery center, sent them photos, and they stated they wouldn't do anything because I left their lot. I didn't see it on the pickup since there wasn't anything reflecting on the hood to make it visible.

Pretty crappy service on their end stating it was my fault.

Nothing you can do make the frunk close easier. The only way it works smoothly is to remove the plastic surrounds internally, then it works like a charm. However if you do that you risk getting water inside. I just make sure no one else uses the frunk except me.

Reactions: NY_Rob
Nothing you can do make the frunk close easier. The only way it works smoothly is to remove the plastic surrounds internally, then it works like a charm. However if you do that you risk getting water inside. I just make sure no one else uses the frunk except me.
You can swap out the spring in the latch mechanism to one with a lower spring rate. There's some risk involved since if you don't know what you're doing, it may pop out but the Tesla mechanism has a safety latch designed in to prevent it from fully opening.

I’ve only had my MY a few weeks but just noticed a slight indentation in the hood just to the left of the Tesla logo. On my delivery day, I invited two friends to come help me inspect the car and look for any issues. While I was inside talking to the deliver consultant, I saw that my friends and opened the frunk to inspect the area. When I came out, they said the frunk is broken and they couldn’t get it close. I remembered reading that you have to close the trunk a certain way and place your hands on either side on the Telsa logo to close it. I was able to get it closed just fine that day and have opened and closed it a few times, no issues. So I think the indentation could have occurred when my friends were trying to close the frunk or it was there on delivery day. So my question is, should I just live with it? No one would really notice unless they had a really keen eye for details or rub your hand over the area. How big of a deal would it be for the Tesla body shop to repair? Could I say that I just found the issue and didn’t notice it on delivery day? Let me know your thoughts....thanks

I have the same issue, same exact spot. Tesla gave me a $350 voucher to have a paintless dent repair shop take care of it.

Reactions: TallTexDriver
It is much more difficult with Y compared to S and my hood was dented similarly at delivery. Frunk closing works for me this way - lower hood, flat palms on either side of logo, press smoothly in one motion. There are two clicks and stopping at the first makes it impossible to get the second without too much pressure on the hood (must pop and try again) which I think folks in PDI are causing these dents. I inspected a number other Y that we're sitting for delivery and most of them had the same dent.

Just a short update, I mobile service technician came by on Thursday I thought to fix my rear seats, they won’t fold down when you press the release buttons in the cargo area. The guy that came out was rather young and seemed to be new on the job, in fact he said so. However, very nice kid and tried to address the issue. He also agreed the indentation in the hood should be addressed and has seen that before. I also had him noted a rattle coming from the passenger side of the car. He informed me that a new rear 60 section would need to be ordered and installed and he would create a ticket for the service. After he left I thought how do I confirm that the seat has actually been ordered and he created a ticket?

So I decided to stop by my local Tesla service center and asked. No service advisors were working on Saturday but the sells advisor was very helpful. He suggested I create a service request in the App and note all the issues and what the mobile tech told me. That made sense to me, so I did that right away, now just waiting for someone from Tesla Service to contact me.

I’ve owned Mercedes, BMW and Lexus and have to say all service depts have their +/-‘s. Lexus was probably the best, but it’s really dependent on the dealership. Mercedes was the absolute worst and most expensive. All those brands have been around a long time and I just think Tesla over time will get better at providing a excellent service experience for owners. It’s cool to be the owner of a car with cutting edge technology, environmentally friendly and fun to drive! However, because Tesla hasn’t been around very long compared to the other brands I have owned, I have reset my expectations regarding service and overall quality. Would like to hear from others that have owned other luxury brands and how you feel about owning a Tesla.