Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slight shudder in 'drivetrain' at very low speeds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was wondering if anyone else gets this behavior in their Model 3. I never felt this in my Model S or any loaners.

When you're barely moving, like when backing in to my garage, or on a very slight incline, and just slowly rolling, you feel the car shudder and the car will shake slightly. But the problem is it doesn't always happen. It's been happening more often then previous though.

I took it to the SC but of course, they couldn't reproduce it and I got in with them and we couldn't reproduce it. I was just curious if anyone else has experienced this and if you were able to get the SC to reproduce it, and diagnose it.

I was wondering if anyone else gets this behavior in their Model 3. I never felt this in my Model S or any loaners.

When you're barely moving, like when backing in to my garage, or on a very slight incline, and just slowly rolling, you feel the car shudder and the car will shake slightly. But the problem is it doesn't always happen. It's been happening more often then previous though.

I took it to the SC but of course, they couldn't reproduce it and I got in with them and we couldn't reproduce it. I was just curious if anyone else has experienced this and if you were able to get the SC to reproduce it, and diagnose it.

What Model 3 do you have? RWD? If so, I've heard the rear switched reluctance motor can be less than smooth at low RPM. Maybe that's it.

Yes, sorry I should have mentioned that. Mine is an Mid Range RWD Model 3.

Maybe that's it, but odd that service center acted like they've never heard of such a thing...in any case, I just wanted to make sure it's not showing signs of something more serious starting to manifest itself.

In my experience, Tesla employees rarely admit knowledge of problems, even the ones that seem well known on forums like these. I'm not sure if this is true ignorance or feigned ignorance. I rented a mid range RWD for a couple of days before buying my P3D+ and I didn't notice anything like you are reporting, but it also sounds like something difficult to detect. Check out this video by Engineering Explained. Not really the same complaint as you, but a good explanation of how the RWD works different than the AWD. Good luck.