Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slight Vibration At High Speed -- New Tire?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

WattsHappening

Supporting Member
Sep 10, 2017
Bay Area, CA
Hi all,

One of our Model 3s experiences a slight vibration at high speed. It starts at around 75mph and is pretty noticeable at 80mph.

One possible reason is I had to replace one tire after around 6,000 miles due to to a nail in the shoulder area. I believe there was about a 2mm tread wear when it was replaced. So one of the front tires has slightly more tread than the other 3 tires. I asked about the tread wear when I purchased the new tire, but was told it wouldn't affect the drive.

One thing I can say with certainty is the vibration is not just in my head. We have two Model 3s, and the other one is smooth as butter at high speed.

What say the experts? Can the difference in tire tread cause a slight vibration? Or should I take it in?

TIA!

2 mm tread depth difference is the maximum difference between tires that's allowed, so that shouldn't be an issue. The suspects are:
1. Balancing was poor.
2. The tire was not seated properly on the wheel.
3. An actual tire problem with the new tire (unlikely but possible).
4. A wheel issue (also unlikely as there was no issue before).
5. A new tire should be driven gently for 300 miles. This allows the mold release to be worn off and also reduces the chance of the tire slipping on the wheel (because of the lubricant).

Steps to take:

1. Remount the tire paying special attention to proper lubrication and seating. (and rebalance).
2. Get the tire forced balanced (on the car balance).

Reactions: wesley888