Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slipstream vs Arachnid?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i debated this exact situation 2 years ago. i thought and thought and thought about it, but did not like the look of the Slipstreams. I put the Arachnids on and never looked back. They are still very smooth and maybe a bit louder, but its all what you get used to. I don't even notice them any more. i hardly make any long trips in my 75, so range may be affected, but i barely notice that. I got 26k out of the first set of tires, which is way more than i thought i would get. The looks of the Arachnids are awesome. Really completes the car well. If you are worried about blowing out tires, buy the road hazard warranty. I bought the entire set with the road hazard for about $1400 (same Michelin's that it had before). Put them on and don't look back. That's the advice i was given and i'm glad i did.

i debated this exact situation 2 years ago. i thought and thought and thought about it, but did not like the look of the Slipstreams. I put the Arachnids on and never looked back. They are still very smooth and maybe a bit louder, but its all what you get used to. I don't even notice them any more. i hardly make any long trips in my 75, so range may be affected, but i barely notice that. I got 26k out of the first set of tires, which is way more than i thought i would get. The looks of the Arachnids are awesome. Really completes the car well. If you are worried about blowing out tires, buy the road hazard warranty. I bought the entire set with the road hazard for about $1400 (same Michelin's that it had before). Put them on and don't look back. That's the advice i was given and i'm glad i did.

and with each car wash(hand, done by myself with a foam gun), its so easy with a long wheel woolie to clean the inside/barrels of the Arachnids. When I first put them on, applied ceramic coating to the wheels. The minimal amount of brake dust that gets on them, comes off so easily during the wash. REally great looking wheels when clean. And since they are forged vs cast, significantly more resistant to pothole damage

• Love
Reactions: Art VandeIay
  1. I know range will almost certainly be affected. But I'd like to understand by how much? My particular car is a 75D with air suspension. I know absolute ranges will vary by configuration and battery size but if someone who has made this switch can tell me at least a percentage lost, that would be great. Is it a 5% hit to range? 10%? More? I know this wheel is less aerodynamic compared to the Slipstreams and a larger tire patch (while helping handling) will increase rolling resistance.
  2. Is there any difference in noise level? Is one noticeably quieter than the other, or is it pretty much a wash?
  3. How much difference is there in ride quality. Are the Arachnids overly harsh on the highway/freeway with respect to not-great-roads and small potholes?
I have arachnids on a 75D with air suspension. I also originally had slipstreams, and still use them as my winter wheels.
  1. I have not seen an appreciable range difference. I usually drive with these in the summer, so cold weather is removed from the equation, but I am getting my rated range if I drive like a normal human.
  2. Noise level is increased, but not appreciably so, and not to the level that I won't continue to use them.
  3. Same answer to 3 as 2. Ride is a little rougher, but not appreciably so, esp due to the air suspension, IMHO.

• Informative
Reactions: CameronB
I went from 19" slipstreams to arachnids on my S75 RWD so no air suspension. The range went from around 249 to 235. Maybe the noise increased but I'm sure I just got used to it by now. While I didn't immediately recognize a difference in ride quality when going from the slipstreams to arachnids, I have had the slipstreams put back on a couple times (once for a road trip and once to get the arachnids powder coated). Going from 21" to 19" I did notice the ride got smoother. But going back to 21" I get used to it so fast it really doesn't matter to me.

I'm also not the type of driver that'll notice performance or handling increases so really the only upside for me to use the arachnids are the looks. To which I believe they are totally worth it.

I went from 19" slipstreams to arachnids on my S75 RWD so no air suspension. The range went from around 249 to 235. Maybe the noise increased but I'm sure I just got used to it by now. While I didn't immediately recognize a difference in ride quality when going from the slipstreams to arachnids, I have had the slipstreams put back on a couple times (once for a road trip and once to get the arachnids powder coated). Going from 21" to 19" I did notice the ride got smoother. But going back to 21" I get used to it so fast it really doesn't matter to me.

I'm also not the type of driver that'll notice performance or handling increases so really the only upside for me to use the arachnids are the looks. To which I believe they are totally worth it.

Thanks. Very useful information. I assume your tires were the same Michelin Super Sports that came pre-mounted on the Arachnids that were delivered to me?

I assume your tires were the same Michelin Super Sports that came pre-mounted on the Arachnids that were delivered to me?

Yes, though I don't think they were the newer 4S which I'll probably be switching to when it's time to replace. If you need to get your tires repaired I'd suggest a quality tire shop. The spokes of the arachnids bow out and I've had to repair the finish of my powder coat when they chipped it during a flat repair.

• Helpful
Reactions: Art VandeIay
I replaced my Slipstreams with Arachnids 2 weeks ago on my 2017 75D.

Initial thoughts:

I don't find the ride harsh at all. Then again my previous daily driver had AC Schnitzer springs and much lower profile tires. Mrs. Duffer is much more perceptive regarding ride comfort and noise and she said that she doesn't notice a difference.

Efficiency is down just a bit. I'm used to around 325 wh/mi at 70-75 mph with the Slipstreams. The same round trip I was at 347 wh/mi with the Arachnids.

We took a trip to Oregon last March in the cold and rain and the wh/mi was in the 340's to 360's range with the highest being 497 while going over the pass. We're making the same Oregon trip again this weekend and I'm curious to see how close the 2 setups really are.