Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slo-mo video of chattering wiper

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I took delivery last October one small issue I saw was the driver wiper skipping and a hazy spot on the windshield. Okay no big deal, get home, use some glass cleaner and buy a brand new Bosch expensive wiper. But the behavior is the same, the bottom of it vibrates back and forth no matter how clean and wet the windshield is.

Looks like I can't upload a video here, I'll try uploading elsewhere and posting the link to it.

2015 S85D

Did you use a glass scrubber/polish? That's what it took to fix mine. Just some cheaper glass stripper from Walmart and some elbow grease. Got worse when using Michelin wipers that had rain-x like coating that stayed on the windshield. I'm sticking to Trico now

Last edited:
When I took delivery last October one small issue I saw was the driver wiper skipping and a hazy spot on the windshield. Okay no big deal, get home, use some glass cleaner and buy a brand new Bosch expensive wiper. But the behavior is the same, the bottom of it vibrates back and forth no matter how clean and wet the windshield is.

Looks like I can't upload a video here, I'll try uploading elsewhere and posting the link to it.

2015 S85D
Hello ! I had the same problem for years and the Tesla Service Center could never resolve it. I have a 2015 Model S and replaced the blades several times to no avail. I have used just about every type of window kit with little success until recently. I purchased the Cerakote Rapid Ceramic Glass Coat Windshield Kit from Amazon for about $ 17.00. Watch the youtube video on this product. This is the first time in years that my wiper blades don't chatter ! I currently use the Bosch "ICON" wiper blades and for the last 2 months, the chattering has virtually disappeared ! Cerakote also sells one of the best headlight restorer kits in the market place. I'd like to mention that their customer service is second to none ! Please give them a try

Reactions: gillmj24
Sometimes that can be caused by a twist in the wiper blade arm so the wiper blade is not perpendicular to the glass. I had that issue on previous cars and used wrenches with protection on the arms to twist them the other direction.

Never heard of the twist. Interesting. Mine are horrible. Just replaced the blades and it didn't help. It's actually embarrassing when I have people in the car with me in the rain. I've had a couple M3 loaners and the wipers on those were completely silent. The two things that suck on my MS are the wipers and headlights.. Anywyay, I wonder how that huge Cybertruck blade is going to be? LOL

Passenger side in the foreground. No chatter or skipping.

Attachments

• 20230428_093914.jpg
    20230428_093914.jpg
    290 KB · Views: 107
Drivers side. Tried to get it in the pic but the post above is on to something. It looks like the angle of the wiper arm in the "twist" direction is different from driver to passenger side. Rubber not hitting perpendicular. How much force to twist with before you break it, and how much does a new wiper arm cost?😁

Attachments

• 20230428_093944.jpg
    20230428_093944.jpg
    299.6 KB · Views: 55
My issue was a bit different. I didn't have skipping chatter so much as the bottom of the blade flopping like in your video but hitting the metal wiper arm and making noise that way.

What worked for me was swapping my driver's side wiper blade to one that was 2" shorter. The shorter length seems to make the overall blade assembly a bit stiffer so the bottom doesn't flop and the decrease in size doesn't have a noticeable effect on how much windshield it wipes as you're only losing an inch on either end.

Again, my issue was different than yours but it's similar and my fix might work for you.

It sounds like your wiper mechanism is worn and on the way out, check for the infamous hood scrape notch.