Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slow charging speeds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've tried asking King Google but no luck so testing the collective knowledge here...

How come I'm only getting 4Kw 6A at a public charge point with no other car sharing?
IMG_3919.jpg
IMG_3920.jpg

I've been plugged in since 8am (5hrs now) colleague with an S on the same point would be 100% by now (anecdotally as no idea how low he starts)

Model S can charge on type 2 at 16KW, Model 3 is limited to 11KW max on AC due to the AC/DC converter in the car being lower (price) spec.

Try a Charge Place Scotland 23KW outlet near you - you should get 11KW and the in car screen should show a little "3" meaning it's 3-phase. If not then could be a car or cable fault.

model three only displays the current of a single phase. so on a 22KW 3 phase it will only ever show 16A despite charging at 11KW so in your example you're getting three lots of 6A. But if that really is a 22KW charger it should be showing 16A not 6

Reactions: Adopado
Model S can charge on type 2 at 16KW, Model 3 is limited to 11KW max on AC due to the AC/DC converter in the car being lower (price) spec.

Try a Charge Place Scotland 23KW outlet near you - you should get 11KW and the in car screen should show a little "3" meaning it's 3-phase. If not then could be a car or cable fault.

See my photos it is a 22kW charger. Im getting an RFID card soon (using App) and will see how I get on with the 50kW (had no luck unlocking 50kW with app :/)

See my photos it is a 22kW charger. Im getting an RFID card soon (using App) and will see how I get on with the 50kW (had no luck unlocking 50kW with app :/)

It's probably just the charger. The photo does indicate the 3 phase aspect but as others have said you should get 11kW. You definitely need your RFID card so that you can use the CYC 50kW CCS connectors without having to fight with the app.

Longshot : have a look on Plugshare / Zap-Map and see if there are comments from other people about what kW / AMP they got (at that location)

I'm no electrician, is it possible for something onboard to be bust such that it only uses one-phase for charging? (but if I divide 22kW by 3-phases I don't get 4 ...)

Reactions: DaddyCool
it's 3x6x240=4320
but should be
3x16x240=11520

Single phase is either
16x240=3840
or
32x240=7680
give or take a few v on the supply side.

I believe the cable uses resistors to tell the charger what the maximum current it can handle, to prevent you trying to pull 32A down a 16A cable. So there's a possibility you have a faulty cable, if you've never managed to get 11KW before.
I'm also assuming you're using the blue type two cable that came with the car and not a 3rd party one.
I've had plenty of chargers give the wrong current, so ended up with 16A on 32A chargers many times. Nothing wrong with my car or cable as far as I know so always put it down to the unreliability of most public chargers.

it's 3x6x240=4320
but should be
3x16x240=11520

Single phase is either
16x240=3840
or
32x240=7680
give or take a few v on the supply side.

I believe the cable uses resistors to tell the charger what the maximum current it can handle, to prevent you trying to pull 32A down a 16A cable. So there's a possibility you have a faulty cable, if you've never managed to get 11KW before.
I'm also assuming you're using the blue type two cable that came with the car and not a 3rd party one.
I've had plenty of chargers give the wrong current, so ended up with 16A on 32A chargers many times. Nothing wrong with my car or cable as far as I know so always put it down to the unreliability of most public chargers.
Yes blue cable that came with the car.
At home on my single phase 30A EO charger I get 7kW (I think! - deffo not 4)