Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slow leak in tire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't yell at me. I'm a lazy bum. I have had a slow leak in my drive side rear tire for over a year. I need to put in 3-5 pounds every 10 days or so. I searched oh so many times for a nail or screw and nothing. Someone said it may be a bad valve? I got the car in May 2019, so it's possible it was there since the beginning.
Anyway, I called Mavis and asked them if they have had Tesla's in before because they cannot go up on the left (or so I heard). They said yes. Made an appointment for a few days later. Got there and first thing they asked for was the key. Bad sign. Then I asked them if they knew it cannot go on the left and desk person had to go into back and ask. Came back and said Tesla's use run flats and that they cannot fix them. This is the first I heard of this. Maybe a model S has run flats, but does the Model 3 have them? And how would they even know what tire I have without looking? So I left.

What reputable place that knows what they are doing do I need to take my car to? And if anyone local knows of somewhere they went, please help. I am on Long Island.

Don't yell at me. I'm a lazy bum. I have had a slow leak in my drive side rear tire for over a year. I need to put in 3-5 pounds every 10 days or so. I searched oh so many times for a nail or screw and nothing. Someone said it may be a bad valve? I got the car in May 2019, so it's possible it was there since the beginning.
Anyway, I called Mavis and asked them if they have had Tesla's in before because they cannot go up on the left (or so I heard). They said yes. Made an appointment for a few days later. Got there and first thing they asked for was the key. Bad sign. Then I asked them if they knew it cannot go on the left and desk person had to go into back and ask. Came back and said Tesla's use run flats and that they cannot fix them. This is the first I heard of this. Maybe a model S has run flats, but does the Model 3 have them? And how would they even know what tire I have without looking? So I left.

What reputable place that knows what they are doing do I need to take my car to? And if anyone local knows of somewhere they went, please help. I am on Long Island.

If there’s no nail, it could be the valve stem, seal around the TPMS/valve stem, or even from the lip around the wheel/tire. The oem tires are not run flat.

Try All Weather Tire in Huntington. I usually dismount my wheels and bring them loose to them...as I like to use a torque wrench to tighten my lugs. I don’t like when impact guns are used to tighten lugs...as they’re notoriously over torqued. BTW...Tesla’s absolutely can go on lifts. But They just have to be knowledgeable on the Jack points. I have seen other Tesla’s there, have asked if they patch them and was told yes. I would call ahead and ask first...whatever place you go to.

• Helpful
Reactions: garth_angst
Bring a printed copy of the jack points from the owners manual to the shop too. I just handed my copy to the shop person so they knew exactly where the jack point are. Also, you can ask them if you can verify that the lift points are positioned properly under the jack points before they raise your car. Mind you, they might not allow you in the bay but it doesn't hurt to ask.

It can go on a lift. The right way is to have your own pucks. INSTALL them yourself before you hand over the “key” (card).

Do not trust them to just do it right. Pucks installed are a bit of insurance.

Some lifts don’t need the pucks. Some do. Cross your fingers they know what they are doing.

Which pucks do you have installed?

There are dozens of threads on that topic. Dozens of choices on Amazon/Ebay.

Some use friction (rubber o-ring) some use magnets to hold them in place.

I had a Model 3 and sold it with the pucks. I now have a Model X that uses different pucks.

They are about $30 for a set of 4 with the O-rings that hold them in place.

Same slow leak here (in the same tire no less- drivers side rear)

Extra weird if I drive it it doesn't leak-took a several day trip a few weeks ago and pressure held fine... it only leaks when sitting.... (which it's obviously doing more of these days)

So I'm just filling in the morning if I haven't driven recently rather than worry about the tire shop screwing something up on the car for now, while also worrying about how safe/clean said tire shop is in covid times.

I do have pucks BTW, these were very highly recommended on here at the time I ordered-
Tesla Model 3 Low Profile Jack Point / Lift Pad Adapter Tool - QTY:4 w/Case | eBay

Looks like since I bought em though the price has been...*removes sunglasses*....jacked up...

But I definitely wouldn't stick around at a tire shop that told me Teslas come with runflats :)

Reactions: pilotSteve
Same slow leak here (in the same tire no less- drivers side rear)

Extra weird if I drive it it doesn't leak-took a several day trip a few weeks ago and pressure held fine... it only leaks when sitting.... (which it's obviously doing more of these days)

So I'm just filling in the morning if I haven't driven recently rather than worry about the tire shop screwing something up on the car for now, while also worrying about how safe/clean said tire shop is in covid times.

I do have pucks BTW, these were very highly recommended on here at the time I ordered-
Tesla Model 3 Low Profile Jack Point / Lift Pad Adapter Tool - QTY:4 w/Case | eBay

Looks like since I bought em though the price has been...*removes sunglasses*....jacked up...

But I definitely wouldn't stick around at a tire shop that told me Teslas come with runflats :)

Whoa, we have the same problem because like you say, when driving it goes down very slowly, maybe 2-3 weeks. Sitting at home, which it is now doing, less than a week. Hmmm, sounds like too much of a coincidence.

Knightshade, did you have to replace your tire or were they able to patch it?

If is a your valve, this might fix it for less than $2.

It might just need to be tighten or replaced, either way this will take care of it.

https://www.amazon.com/Slime-20088-...ds=tire+valve+stem+kit&qid=1598114908&sr=8-31

Last week I had a low tire pressure indication on my Prius v, found the tire and visually checked and did not see anything obvious. Had to use the soapy water route, found it along the outside tread. A very small 1/4" staple, I don't think a tire store would fix it per their requirements. So, I put a plug in it and went on my merry way.

Get a spray bottle with soapy water and spray, even if you don't take the tire off you may still be able to find it.

Last edited:
If is a your valve, this might fix it for less than $2.

FWIW was the first thing I tried, did not fix it so wasn't my issue (might be for someone else of course)

Whoa, we have the same problem because like you say, when driving it goes down very slowly, maybe 2-3 weeks. Sitting at home, which it is now doing, less than a week. Hmmm, sounds like too much of a coincidence.

Knightshade, did you have to replace your tire or were they able to patch it?

Neither-as I said I'm currently avoiding the issue of going to a tire shop that might not know how to lift the car and might not be doing a great job on covid procedures/safety.... Bit north of 20k now on the OEM tires adn wear remains quite even across all 4 so they'll eventually get replaced as a set anyway but still have decent tread right now.

Prior to lockdown I'd go all week driving daily to work with no noticeable loss- leaving it parked over the weekend I'd find myself down maybe 5 psi on Monday- this only went on for a few weeks before most of the lockdown stuff kicked in.

Now- If nothing else is going on I'm only driving ~1 time a week now so I just get ready a couple minutes early and add air to the tire to get it back to normal since it seems to hold it fine when driving- it's letting it sit a week where I find it down like 10-15 psi. Once I refill it it holds it long as I keep driving it.

Likely a slight leak between tire and rim I'd guess and the warm-being-driven tire seals properly but sitting in the garage lets it leak a touch.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
ok, so...I found the leak with the suggestion of the soapy water in a spray bottle (I could not generate enough spit to fill the bottle - i tried, and dehydrated).
It is right in the middle of the tread, good news. I do not see any nail or screw. Must have driven over something. Can this be patched by me or can I bring it somewhere? I know with the foam inside, it may be a problem.
What are my options? I'd hate to have to spend $250 per tie to get a new tire for a pinhole.

• Funny
Reactions: EVNation
There is no Discount Tire within 250 miles of my location.

Did they just plug it, or cut the tire to do something with the foam and then plug it? I searched some youtube videos of how someone fixed a leak and it looks rather intense.

Americas Tire? Any tire place will be able to patch it, as long as the puncture isn't on the sidewall or tread shoulder. It's a rather simple repair, that's why most tire chains will do the repair for free.

Americas Tire? Any tire place will be able to patch it, as long as the puncture isn't on the sidewall or tread shoulder. It's a rather simple repair, that's why most tire chains will do the repair for free.

America's tire. Again, nothing in NY.

True about ANY tire place, but I called two Mavis Discount Tires. One said they won't even touch a Tesla and the other one is what I described in the first post, that they said it had a run flat. I lost a lot of respect for Mavis. They are out of touch with the modern automobile.
I may go with the place that N54TT said, but I don't have the means to remove a tire.
And like I said, it seems a repair requires a patch from the inside of the tire and dealing with the foam insert. I would assume based on the incompetence of Mavis, that most places won't even know about the foam. I don't have a lot of confidence in any place at this point.

Last edited:
If there’s no nail, it could be the valve stem, seal around the TPMS/valve stem, or even from the lip around the wheel/tire. The oem tires are not run flat.

Try All Weather Tire in Huntington. I usually dismount my wheels and bring them loose to them...as I like to use a torque wrench to tighten my lugs. I don’t like when impact guns are used to tighten lugs...as they’re notoriously over torqued. BTW...Tesla’s absolutely can go on lifts. But They just have to be knowledgeable on the Jack points. I have seen other Tesla’s there, have asked if they patch them and was told yes. I would call ahead and ask first...whatever place you go to.

Thanks N54TT. Went to All Weather. They were great. Knew what they were doing. Knew about the foam. Knew about the lift points. I was amazed, after all the un-knowledgeable incompetence I have dealt with so far. I even called the gas station that Tesla is Syosset sends all their cars for inspection. They didn't know what to do.

Reactions: SlimJim and N54TT
Likely a slight leak between tire and rim I'd guess and the warm-being-driven tire seals properly but sitting in the garage lets it leak a touch.

Both tires on the passenger side developed a leak between tire and rim for me within the first year of ownership. Tire store put on a black seal/glue? on the rims and the tires are now both holding air. The rims were not bent at all. Funnily enough, I do have two bent rims on the driver side from a pothole (20s) and they, knock on wood, are holding air fine.

Thanks N54TT. Went to All Weather. They were great. Knew what they were doing. Knew about the foam. Knew about the lift points. I was amazed, after all the un-knowledgeable incompetence I have dealt with so far. I even called the gas station that Tesla is Syosset sends all their cars for inspection. They didn't know what to do.
Was the pricing fair?

I have a slow leak/nail. Went to Costco, but the couldn't repair the tire due to it being their policy (nail was on the inner/closer to side of the tire). Hesitant to go to a local shop as I'm not sure if they know how to deal with teslas. Debating on going thru the service section on the app, but seems rather pricey. Want to see if this shop would be willing to repair and even if I need a replacement tire, hopefully it would be cheaper than Tesla service.