Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slow leaking tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve had 3 sets of tires, all resulting in eventually a slow leaking rear passenger side tire. Not sure if anyone has had a similar issue? Seems unlikely that it would be a coincidence at this point. After 3 sets and tire rotations etc.

Happens to me a lot -- rear right tire. Its the corner furthest from you the driver, so it is prone to getting more dinged and driving over stuff. Its the wheel that has the most "curb rash". And it gets the most screws, nails, etc. I had to fix one *again*, a tiny nail. Several months ago, it was a huge screw....

Have someone check yours out, or do the soapy water test. You *will* find a reason...

Reactions: Taxvictim
I’ve had 3 sets of tires, all resulting in eventually a slow leaking rear passenger side tire. Not sure if anyone has had a similar issue? Seems unlikely that it would be a coincidence at this point. After 3 sets and tire rotations etc.
After 3 sets of tires, this is not a coincidence. Where the valve stems replaced with each tire change?
The wheel could also be either bent, or cracked.

The old trick is the best (your can DIY this, or take it to a tire shop):
1). Take off the wheel.
2). Submerge a portion in a tub of water, and look for air bubbles.
3). Fix the source of the air bubbles.

HTH,
a

A few years ago I had an SUV that would lose tire pressure - but only while driven. Took me a while to figure out but turned out to be a valve stem flexing from centrifugal force. I agree with the comments above, most likely a bad valve or cracked rim, fill it to the limit and dip it in water.

Same for me, rear passenger side tire is the first to develop a small leak. But yesterday it blew out a few weeks after I topped it off. I didn't feel it go out, I just got a low pressure warning and thought "oh I'll make it to the gas station and top it off." Then the tire pressure appeared on the screen: 22, then 16, then 11, then 9... all in less than a minute. I turned into a side street and called roadside assistance and an Uber to get me to work. Later, the roadside assistance guy showed me that both of my rear P-zeros were worn down to the metal cords on the inside edges of the tires (after 10,000 miles), and the leak/puncture was right there.

So check the inside edges of your rear tires. I've been burning mine up with the wonderful acceleration the M3P provides.

If any Tesla folks are reading this, I would like to add that the Roadside Assistance fellow was terrific.

It’s been my experience that when the tires do wear down, it’s the inside edges that go first, and fast. It’s pretty sudden, and there’s PLENTY of tread left on the rest of the tire. Kind of a bummer because these PS4s are amazing at road holding AND else wise longevity which is super rare to find in a performance tire.

I’ve made mention on the site several times that my original PS4s lasted over 50,000 miles. Looking at the tires a few weeks ago (at another 45,000 mi), the replacements surely appeared fit to surpass that. Well, lo and behold, I started to note the dreaded feathering at the inside edge of the right rear, and booked replacements at 96,xxx miles!

Adding to my relative disappointment was the fact the SC apparently no longer stocks my beloved Michelins, but instead offer the more costly Pirellis that now come standard on new Performance models. As a consolation the Pirellis do appear to ride more smoothly, and I haven’t noted (yet?) any decrease in grip. I’ve heard tire wear is reduced, so I guess time will tell.