Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slow wireless charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another thought - is the phone on (i.e. display fully active and/or Bluetooth being used and/or phone call in progress)? I'd expect faster charging when the phone is not being used. I don't have an iPhone so I can't say if this would explain the appearance of slow/no charging and limitation on the iPhone.

Another thought - is the phone on (i.e. display fully active and/or Bluetooth being used and/or phone call in progress)? I'd expect faster charging when the phone is not being used. I don't have an iPhone so I can't say if this would explain the appearance of slow/no charging and limitation on the iPhone.
Nah, it's none of that. It just sucks with the iPhone.

Nah, it's none of that. It just sucks with the iPhone.
I have an iPhone 13 mini and it’s not great either. I have found at least for the mini it does charge a bit faster after I put like a half inch felt pad at the bottom to prop the phone up higher. I think the mini is just so short that otherwise it doesn’t align well with the charging coils. But even with this propping up, it’s much slower than an apple magsafe charger.

I have an iPhone 13 mini and it’s not great either. I have found at least for the mini it does charge a bit faster after I put like a half inch felt pad at the bottom to prop the phone up higher. I think the mini is just so short that otherwise it doesn’t align well with the charging coils. But even with this propping up, it’s much slower than an apple magsafe charger.
I have the 13 Pro which is a taller phone. Still makes no difference. I wonder if it has to do with the fact that the camera bezel is pushing part of the phone off of the charging pad.

14 pro max is almost not being charged or super slow. Phone turns very hot. I have Apple store’s MagSafe clear case, with/without it, same result.

My company iPhone 12 works well with plastic case, though.

14 pro max is almost not being charged or super slow. Phone turns very hot. I have Apple store’s MagSafe clear case, with/without it, same result.

My company iPhone 12 works well with plastic case, though.
I have no issue charging my iPhone 14 Pro Max with Apple’s black silicone case. It does take longer as it gets closer to 100%, but that’s expected. Wifey has a regular 14 Pro, blue Apple silicone case, no issues. We regularly charge in the car at the same time.

Reactions: retbesla
I have no issue charging my iPhone 14 Pro Max with Apple’s black silicone case. It does take longer as it gets closer to 100%, but that’s expected. Wifey has a regular 14 Pro, blue Apple silicone case, no issues. We regularly charge in the car at the same time.
Wow. Did I do things wrong, or my wireless charging is wrong? I can’t figure this out. The one below is my case.

With or without it, my 14 pro max is just hot and unable to get charged.

It's all about heat. Wireless charging causes heat. My phones will charge fine when it's just sitting there and not performing any functions like navigation or music or podcasts. If it's doing something it will heat up and stop charging. What works for me is finding a way to circulate cooler air onto your phone and then you'll notice it will charge more efficiently. I use something like this. I tested it with a larger fan before and got good results so I have this in the car now. I don't use it that often since I use the tidal and tunein apps on the car most of the time but I also use this fan for after playing some tennis just so it can circulate air ...ahem lower. Decent ventilated seat alternative hahaha.

In examining the charger, there are four coil loop chargers/sensors (two per phone slot). For charging a phone, the unit selects one of the two depending on where it detects the best match with the phone's charging coil. It is likely with some phones, the placement is not optimal - so trying different locations (mostly up/down) could make a significant difference. Too bad there isn't a placement optimization indicator on the phone. You can see the coils here: Antenna Expose – TeslaTap (move down to Wireless Phone Charger) for the front console and rear seat chargers.

Assuming iPhone, as they are more susceptible to charging position issues:

Why does Iphone overheat when wireless charging?

One of the big pain points of wireless charging is that your phone has to be positioned precisely on the wireless charging pad to charge. If it's not in the right place, the handset and the charger will duel it out, causing the phone and the charger to produce excessive heat without actually charging your device.

• Informative
Reactions: theslimshadyist
Service came today and installed a new wireless charger but still no luck, have tried with three phones and they all show negative wattage on amphere app. What The heck is the issue, either Tesla model y wireless chargers don't work or there's something wrong with my car?