Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Small accident

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would sue the other party for defamation.

It’s actually insurance fraud... IF the other driver admits to have knowingly lied after seeing the video. It is pretty hard to believe that the driver at fault never realized that his/her car was out of the lane.

Set the trap. Most insurance agents openly advise that all phone calls are recorded.

I was involved in a small accident this week. The damage to my vehicle was very small. I have about 8,000km on the car and was frustrated with what happened. I decided not to report it because I only sustained a small dent and it's barely visible.

My insurance company called me. The other driver reported it, and said I side swiped him!!!

I shared this video with the insurance agent and he started laughing. How does he think you hit him he asked? The agent said he will share the video with the other company. Needless to say the agent agreed it was not my fault.

Good thing it was recording otherwise it would have been my word against his. Now I hope he gets in trouble for his BS.
Sorry this happened to you but it sounds like everyone’s ok and will be taken care of. One good thing to come out of it is that it led to the best YouTube video title ever.

• Disagree
Reactions: T-Mom
I think he was simply trying to go around me. There was another vehicle we were passing (in the middle lane). When I didn't pass it quick enough he tried to go around and misjudged it. At least that's what he said when we pulled over. The rear camera just shows him behind and then coming up to pass. The front camera shows why we moved over in the first place, and the vehicle we were going to pass.

Not how I saw it. It looked to me like he was passing you on the left (a no no) in anger and with speed, and then rapidly slowed down to hit your nice new car with his jalopy.

The mere fact that you both didn't pull over immediately to exchange greetings and review the damage means the whole things was not friendly and innocent. Keep in mind he called it into his insurance to get back at you when he was the one to try to bump you off the road.

And you still think it was an innocent distracted driving incident. LOL.

Post the rear footage so we can see.

• Disagree
Reactions: Ctein
I think he was simply trying to go around me.
There was another vehicle we were passing (in the middle lane).
When I didn't pass it quick enough he tried to go around and misjudged it.
At least that's what he said when we pulled over.

The rear camera just shows him behind and then coming up to pass.
The front camera shows why we moved over in the first place, and the vehicle we were going to pass.

One of the issues is to determine if this was an accidental event or if it was intentional or road rage for some reason?

But I would be more concern with the fact that the other driver already started to lie to cover up his stupidity or bad driving.

I can tell you, when someone starts to lie, it quickly then starts to be very difficult to know the true and it becomes an hearsay situation.

You know the expression: "Oh what a tangled web we weave when at first we start to deceive."

I think you clearly describe the situation, but I would be very careful when giving any plausible explanation.

Now you mention that you were both passing a car at the same time...

The other driver seems to be a compulsive liar and would not hesitate to say that you started to accelerate to block him, and so on...

My recommendation is when someone start to lie is to immediately talk to your insurance lawyer and make a report.

Your lawyer will then contact the other party to try to determine the responsibility.

If the other party still deny responsibility, don't hesitate to engage a court procedure to clarify the situation.

You have a strong evidence with your video, but the other party insurance will always try to so give a different interpretation.

As a last resort, let a judge makes a decision if the conflict cannot be resolved.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Ctein
I was involved in a small accident this week. The damage to my vehicle was very small. I have about 8,000km on the car and was frustrated with what happened. I decided not to report it because I only sustained a small dent and it's barely visible.

My insurance company called me. The other driver reported it, and said I side swiped him!!!

I shared this video with the insurance agent and he started laughing. How does he think you hit him he asked? The agent said he will share the video with the other company. Needless to say the agent agreed it was not my fault.

Good thing it was recording otherwise it would have been my word against his. Now I hope he gets in trouble for his BS.

So I guess everyone that has an accident is an "idiot" ? I'd call it something else. Name calling seems to be a popular sport these days. :)

Last edited:
I's say the word idiot was being kind, I can think of many more offensive words for this driver after watching the video. Clearly he/she is not in control of the vehicle and is endangering other people's lives, a much greater offense than name calling.

Tim
Well, since you don't know who it is, they could have had a medical issue, and just tried to cover it up. Agree with desert. Name calling is popular and you seem to prove it since you can think of more offensive words yet have no personal knowledge of the situation. People should just lighten up and not be so judgemental.

Well, since you don't know who it is, they could have had a medical issue, and just tried to cover it up. Agree with desert. Name calling is popular and you seem to prove it since you can think of more offensive words yet have no personal knowledge of the situation. People should just lighten up and not be so judgemental.

This person was driving erratically, stopped after the accident to speak to the driver, then attempted to file a false insurance claim.

Isn't attacking the OP for being a "name caller", actually name calling? People should just lighten up and not be so judgmental. :)

Tim

Does Tesla always record? I definitely would want this activated all the time.

I've never checked my footage from my M3. I know someone had swung open their door in a parking lot once and hit my car, but when checking the footage for Tesla Sentry mode never even started to record. Not sure why the sentry mode seems very random.

Sentry Mode and TeslaCam overlap but are different. Sentry Mode attempts to determine automatically what events to record (after all, you are not in the car). TeslaCam relies on you telling it when to save events (such as the one shown by the OP). It can save you $$$ in cases like this, I would go read the manual on how to use it.

Well yes, we none of us know the circumstances as to why the other driver did what they did, and so name calling is not appropriate. But trying to shift the blame to the OP with the insurance company was a pretty crappy thing to do, so for this alone I'd say that person isnt very honest.

I think he was simply trying to go around me. There was another vehicle we were passing (in the middle lane). When I didn't pass it quick enough he tried to go around and misjudged it. At least that's what he said when we pulled over. The rear camera just shows him behind and then coming up to pass. The front camera shows why we moved over in the first place, and the vehicle we were going to pass.

Why didn't you simply give way if this was the case?

I ask you not to judge you for it as I haven't always given way. In fact in this situation I would have said "haha. I don't think so and sped up" because it's not like you didn't pass him a 50 seconds earlier. If you had sped up he wouldn't have been able to get over, and if you slowed down he wouldn't have hit you.

From the video your driving looks like you had no reaction at all, and were likely driving on TACC or AP.

This is another thing I can't judge you for because I've done the same thing where I don't react to a potential situation because I'm chilling with TACC/AP on. So this video is a reminder to be more vigilant as all of us who live in North America have to practice defense driving since so many people can't drive properly.

So I guess everyone that has an accident is an "idiot" ? I'd call it something else. Name calling seems to be a popular sport these days. :)

But, how many accidents are ACTUALLY accidents?

If I'm driving down the road distracted by my cell phone, and I get into an accident then what does that make me? A complete total idiot that doesn't belong on the road is what that makes me.

If I purposely cut someone off, but I hit them because I misjudged it then what does that make me? I would be totally fine with being called an idiot because that's exactly what I'd feel like.

Maybe name calling happens so much these days simply because we deserve it.

Now that doesn't mean we can't improve our insult game by learning from the British just like we should improve our driving by learning from the Germans.

If there is anything clear from the OP's post its that we need to level up.

Reactions: TBrownTX
Idiot is not the best choice of words but while I was uploading it for the insurance company to see, it felt appropriate. Liar also comes to mind but I'm trying not to be too petty.

I am wondering if I should get my home security camera setup now that he knows where I live. If things go poorly he might make another poor decision..

Why didn't you simply give way if this was the case?

I ask you not to judge you for it as I haven't always given way. In fact in this situation I would have said "haha. I don't think so and sped up" because it's not like you didn't pass him a 50 seconds earlier. If you had sped up he wouldn't have been able to get over, and if you slowed down he wouldn't have hit you.

From the video your driving looks like you had no reaction at all, and were likely driving on TACC or AP.

This is another thing I can't judge you for because I've done the same thing where I don't react to a potential situation because I'm chilling with TACC/AP on. So this video is a reminder to be more vigilant as all of us who live in North America have to practice defense driving since so many people can't drive properly.

yes but this hardly shifts the blame .. sure we should drive assuming others on the road are idiots and be defensive, but when something like this happens it doesnt mean because you didn't prevent the accident it is somehow your fault. Sure, maybe the OP should have moved over and was in the wrong lane, or could have reacted faster. Does that mean he is in any way responsible for the other guy moving into his lane and side-swiping him? Of course not.

yes but this hardly shifts the blame .. sure we should drive assuming others on the road are idiots and be defensive, but when something like this happens it doesnt mean because you didn't prevent the accident it is somehow your fault. Sure, maybe the OP should have moved over and was in the wrong lane, or could have reacted faster. Does that mean he is in any way responsible for the other guy moving into his lane and side-swiping him? Of course not.

Liability wise the OP has zero blame, but that wasn't the point of my response.

If the OP wasn't using a drivers assist feature like TACC/AP/NoA then the point of my response is null and void.

The point of my comment was to question our tendency to be so relaxed while on TACC/AP/etc that we don't respond to situations unfolding like we normally would.

How much TACC/AP reduces the stress of driving is often herald, but I think there is a cost to it. After all there is a reasons its less stressful in that we're not constantly scanning for threats. It conserves energy because we're not so engaged.

That would be great if we lived where people could drive, but we don't. People are actually driving more recklessly, and at faster speeds (assuming Canada is experiencing the same things being reported in the US statistics).

I do wish that Autopilot itself was more defensive driving orientated. As an example if I'm in the right lane, and cars are merging in AP doesn't always give way so I have to take over.

Liability wise the OP has zero blame, but that wasn't the point of my response.

If the OP wasn't using a drivers assist feature like TACC/AP/NoA then the point of my response is null and void.

The point of my comment was to question our tendency to be so relaxed while on TACC/AP/etc that we don't respond to situations unfolding like we normally would.

How much TACC/AP reduces the stress of driving is often herald, but I think there is a cost to it. After all there is a reasons its less stressful in that we're not constantly scanning for threats. It conserves energy because we're not so engaged.

That would be great if we lived where people could drive, but we don't. People are actually driving more recklessly, and at faster speeds (assuming Canada is experiencing the same things being reported in the US statistics).

I do wish that Autopilot itself was more defensive driving orientated. As an example if I'm in the right lane, and cars are merging in AP doesn't always give way so I have to take over.

I do not have fsd. AP was off at this time. I took it off to move around the traffic (that ultimately sped up).