Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Small Turn signals and no Fog lamps on Model 3

Are the turn signals on the front adequate ?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can't remember the last time I used fog lights for their intended purpose. Nowadays, good quality low beams do a much better job.

When I turn on my fog lights, they work in conjunction with my low beams, and they light up a much wider area, and are great for dark highway driving. The won't work in conjunction with high beam, but when you have to go to low beam, they provide a wider range of light. I keep them on all the time since I like the wider field of view.

I think we haven't seen enough to judge; I've found that most fog lights make only a marginal improvement, but I deal with snow more than fog.

Slightly off topic, there's something I've noticed lately in cars with LED DLRs, that bugs me, but maybe there's a reason for it: when the LED DRLs are the outer rim of the lens assembly, the one on the signalling side turns off when the turn signal is on. I think it looks really weird, like the light is broken. Do model S and X do that? I assume it's to increase the visibility of the indicator, but I'm more distracted by the asymmetric DRL.

I think we haven't seen enough to judge; I've found that most fog lights make only a marginal improvement, but I deal with snow more than fog.

Slightly off topic, there's something I've noticed lately in cars with LED DLRs, that bugs me, but maybe there's a reason for it: when the LED DRLs are the outer rim of the lens assembly, the one on the signalling side turns off when the turn signal is on. I think it looks really weird, like the light is broken. Do model S and X do that? I assume it's to increase the visibility of the indicator, but I'm more distracted by the asymmetric DRL.
The Model S and X turn signals are below the headlights near the foglights. The DRLs remain on when the turn signals are on, and the same appears to be true for the Model 3 based on the burst images of the blue prototype.

Edit: Here is a video showing all the lights on the Model X.

Are we in agreement that this is the light configuration, or is there some debate about this?

upload_2017-5-7_16-57-28.png

There is debate about this as not all the RCs have that configuration and we know that what you labeled as DRL can be both white and yellow.
It makes me curious whether the yellow mode of the top light is for fog? I recall on a Leaf forum, some people were adamant that fogs have to be yellow, white fogs are not really fogs (i.e., not effective for actually penetrating fog).

Reactions: JeffK
I haven't hesitated to criticize tesla where I think they deserve it, but its not the size of the turn signal -- its how you use it =p

and i've never turned on foglights while foggy and thought, wow this is way better...

im totally ok with those things as/is

• Funny
Reactions: JeffK
Saw Model X about 2 days ago in Southlake with rear turn signals like in European model
(starts at 1m 17s mark)
I.e. thin horizontal LED strips of amber colour. Seemed to be adequate. If Model 3 would have similar turn signals (back and/or front) I'd be OK with it.
Didn't realize they were so small, but if these are the fog lights on the X...
upload_2017-5-8_12-1-55.png

then I would think these are the fog lights for the 3.
upload_2017-5-8_12-2-41.png

It makes me curious whether the yellow mode of the top light is for fog? I recall on a Leaf forum, some people were adamant that fogs have to be yellow, white fogs are not really fogs (i.e., not effective for actually penetrating fog).
I think that would be way too high off the ground to be an effective fog light. should be much closer to the ground to be useful.

I'm sure it will most definitely be white. Assume the time it was looking yellow was either ambient lighting playing tricks or the light assembly had non-white LED lighting it up.

Not saying Tesla can do no wrong, but I'm not worried about it. Remember: They have designers from all over the industry on this, so they generally know what works and what doesn't for turn signals. Fog lamps are not a concern of mine outside aesthetics.

This is a serious question: What car designed in the last five years has designed insufficiently illuminating turn signal lamps? I really don't know.

The LED DRL's on the 3 are lame.

They are also lame and pathetic on all of the facelift S's and X's.

Nosecone Model S's have the brightest LED DRL's. Don't know how Tesla managed to screw that up and why they still haven't fixed those pathetic dim LED's.

It's one of the most important things about the car. I scowl every time I see a new S or X

Two things that have not been mentioned here yet.
In EU some manufacturers reduce/remove DRL white to add contrast to blinker of that same side.
Sometimes DRL white and direction light yellow are coming out of the same place.

In EU many cars already have "cornering light" which is sometimes the same light source as front fog.
Idea is to have more illumination to the side vehicle is turning. Turn signal usually activates that light
at slow speed. But also heavy steering wheel turn to any direction enable that light. Works great

Tesla's DRL-l and turn signals are weak. All models. And definitely not awesome either. I hope for the best from Model 3.

In EU some manufacturers reduce/remove DRL white to add contrast to blinker of that same side.
That's what I was mentioning above. I happened to be at a light with a line of oncoming left-turning traffic yesterday, and noticed a Mercedes doing this, so I remembered to pay attention and got to compare a bunch. Of the rest (Toyotas, Acuras, a BMW), the only ones with LED DRLs were an i3 and an Acura. Neither of them dimmed the DRL on the side with the blinker on.