Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smelly AC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is a product I found at Lordco in Vancouver. I think it was Kool-it foam AC cleaner. It comes with a long hose and foams as it dispenses. The issues I ran into, the AC drain hose is not very accessible under the vehicle and the air flapper valve after the air filter will not stay open unless the blower is running. I wanted to send in the foam from the top without the fan running. I did send it through the vents There is quite a chemical smell for a few days until it is blown out or dries in the system. It seems to have lasted and has been a few years since I used it last, but is dependent on how humid and hot your location is. Price? Can't remember, but it is starting to smell again...

$80 CDN at the Tesla dealer, and the smell is gone.
Had mine done about 3 weeks ago.
I also got new filters, because mine were almost two years old.
Mine smelled pretty bad. No odour at all now.

Just replaced ours after 2 years. They were very dirty. But we'd never had the smell issue.

If something about the way you park your car helps cause the smell, best to aggressively change the filters, perhaps in the fall after the peak A/C season each year?

Note: We park in a carport on a flat surface, not an enclosed garage, and that might help drying out the A/C after usage.

The Mobile Service was just here working on the door to the charge port. I had the filters and he charged me US$35 to put in the filters.

Reactions: M109Rider
i had the same vinegar smell coming from AC after street parking overnight in Montreal with pouring rain past weekend. My car is only 7 months old. How old is your car when you guys start cleaning and changing filter? I am thinking to bring it to service but is it free to clean for a less one yr old car?

I think once the smell has established itself internally in the system, changing the filter will not likely help. My understanding there is just the one filter under the hood filtering dust out of the incoming air. Spraying an AC cleaner seemed to work for me in the past.
As a side note, initially the car would generate a lot of water puddling under the car after the AC was off. I think there have been some software changes over the years which have cause very little moisture to come out of the bottom of the car, perhaps to control this from happening.